VOGONS

First post, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I love NOS hardware. The unboxing, the smell, it is so exciting!
Also I wanted to build some late WinXP machine.

So I decided to build a fully NOS system! Fortunately, there is no big problem to find some 2007 new parts.

CPU
I had 2 options. To go with Pentium 4 541 or Core 2 Duo E6750. New and sealed both.
6SxEkLtl.jpg

I think the C2D will be better option for overkill build, but I think I`ll try P4 later for benchmarks.
LV5OWebl.jpg

Mobo
MSI G33M mATX board.
pSbLFQfl.jpg

c8EgutMl.jpg

xQD5cs0l.jpg
Love the design of this board. Very colorful=)
The CMOS battery was dead, so I replaced it.

RAM
2 Gb DDR2 OCZ2A8002GK
AsRH2khl.jpg
ATI certified. Too bad I`ll have nVidia GPU=)

CPU cooler
Instead of crappy Intel stock cooler I`ll use a mid-2000 legend — Thermaltake BigTyphoon 120.
2g5FRKDl.jpg

wwsl8Eml.jpg

GPU
eVGA nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512 Mb. Factory sealed.
1AGPWLjl.jpg

5uKLQQSl.jpg

QmG96oal.jpg

vStvlX0l.jpg

HDD
WD Blue 500 Gb. This is a new modern HDD, but I don`t think there is any difference with 2007 HDDs=)
MhWqhzDl.jpg

DVD drive
Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7173A IDE drive. New and boxed, 2007 manufactured.
4nqjBrul.jpg

X9fLwwjl.jpg
It has three bezels included — black, beige and silver! Good old times!

PSU
BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 500W CM, the second modern part in this build.
EnRMqLxl.jpg

Case
For the case i used Chieftec Libra LT-01B. This case is from 2011-2012. But it is still in stock in some stores. I like how it looks with this front cover and stuff. Looks very mid-2000.
enMEZHul.jpg

Final build
kbjWM4rl.jpg
What a great RAM clearance of that heatsink!

L7bEUHQl.jpg
When I installed the motherboard, I realized that the heatsink is blocking a HDD mount. So I had to remove mobo and install drives first.

qdb5j1Wl.jpg
Also installed a DVD drive with black bezel.

DgSTCzHl.jpg
Done! Cable management is a mess. Typical for 2007=)

Last edited by Nick4 on 2021-06-13, 18:52. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only complaint - that cursed motherboard layout where you can't use the x1 pcie slot with any reasonable gpu, ruling out a xfi titanium for eax support.

Also the cpu cooler is nice but the c2d were not heat monsters and you could have easily got away with a stock Intel hsf to make working the case a bit easier.

Reply 5 of 8, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-04-04, 18:11:

Only complaint - that cursed motherboard layout where you can't use the x1 pcie slot with any reasonable gpu, ruling out a xfi titanium for eax support.

Also the cpu cooler is nice but the c2d were not heat monsters and you could have easily got away with a stock Intel hsf to make working the case a bit easier.

Yes, that is very stupid layout. But it seems like i`ll need a board replacement anyway=)

I just don`t like stock coolers. Also, want to try OC when the problem will be solved...

Last edited by Nick4 on 2021-04-04, 18:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 8, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-05, 15:48:

Have you checked to make sure the cmos batter is still good. Some motherboards behave very strangely when the batteries are low or dead/missing.

This is the first what i`ve done) Changed the battery.