VOGONS

First post, by brodosam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have been trying to play one of my favorite old games, Motocross Madness 2, but it doesn't work on Windows 10. I've searched and found some people had success with using dgVoodoo. Well, now the game menu opens up but the graphics are not all there. In the menus, most of the screen is white, but colors show up when I hover over that part of the screen with my mouse. Here is an example of it and my dgVoodoo settings: https://imgur.com/a/E8cM4Mi.

In the screenshots above I have been using an older version of dgVoodoo, but using the newest one the results are the same.

I have no idea how to tackle this issue, so any help would be appreciated

Reply 6 of 11, by brodosam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I go to adapters, it has two listed: AMD Radeon graphics, and Nvidia Geforce 3080. It is a laptop so I guess the AMD Radeon is the integrated GPU.

I have tried selecting Nvidia Geforce 3080 instead of "all" adapters but still no luck, and have tried all the different Direct 3D 11 options.

Also, when I launch the game, I have to choose between these 3 options:

https://imgur.com/a/dBVPbom

Both of the dgvoodoo options are the same (I don't know why there are two though). If I choose software rasterization, the ingame menu is a static white (no graphics show up on moving cursor) and if I enter a race there are textures. With the dgVoodoo DirectX Wrapper there are no textures at all on any in-game objects when trying to play a race.

Reply 7 of 11, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brodosam wrote on 2021-04-05, 23:17:
When I go to adapters, it has two listed: AMD Radeon graphics, and Nvidia Geforce 3080. It is a laptop so I guess the AMD Radeon […]
Show full quote

When I go to adapters, it has two listed: AMD Radeon graphics, and Nvidia Geforce 3080. It is a laptop so I guess the AMD Radeon is the integrated GPU.

I have tried selecting Nvidia Geforce 3080 instead of "all" adapters but still no luck, and have tried all the different Direct 3D 11 options.

Both of the dgvoodoo options are the same (I don't know why there are two though). If I choose software rasterization, the ingame menu is a static white (no graphics show up on moving cursor) and if I enter a race there are textures. With the dgVoodoo DirectX Wrapper there are no textures at all on any in-game objects when trying to play a race.

Have you turn on some option in nvidia control panel ?

Reply 8 of 11, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, have you tried output API 'Direct3D11 MS WARP'?
That one should work, altough very slowly, because it's a software renderer, independent on your hw.

No matter what you're changing, you always get the same - are you sure you're editing the same config file that the game reads?

Reply 9 of 11, by brodosam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
willow wrote on 2021-04-06, 06:30:
brodosam wrote on 2021-04-05, 23:17:
When I go to adapters, it has two listed: AMD Radeon graphics, and Nvidia Geforce 3080. It is a laptop so I guess the AMD Radeon […]
Show full quote

Have you turn on some option in nvidia control panel ?

This was it! Thank you! The game was forced to run on the integrated AMD card regardless of what I set it to in dgvoodoo settings. When I switched it to the geforce 3080 in the nvidia control panel it works perfectly!

Reply 11 of 11, by thetwaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I'd tried a number of times to solve this with little success, with a few forums saying it wasn't possible to solve, which was frustrating to say the least! I loved this game when I was a kid, and was really keen to play it again.

I'm running the game on Windows 10, on an integrated AMD graphics chip on a Ryzen 5 4000 series CPU, if you're interested

On more recent versions of DGvoodoo (2.77 and above), after the usual installation process (deposit the entire zip file into the game directory and run DGVoodoocpl) I have found if you simply tick 'Fast video memory access' on the Direct X tab, the game seems to run perfectly. This option also seems to work for a number of other games with similar issues. Posting here as I'd struggled to find a solution previously, and hoping other frustrated users may also find it works.