VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to connect my Windows 10 PC to a XP PC through an ethernet cable its not a crossover cable and then use FileZilla or Cyberduck to FTP to see the XP's HDD contents here's what I've tried so far:

Windows 10 PC
change the IPv4 to:
IP address: 192.168.1.20
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.1.1
Turned on network discovery for private/guest or public/all networks
Turned on file and printer sharing for private/guest or public/all networks
Turned off password protected sharing

Windows XP PC ethernet settings to:
IP address: 192.168.1.21
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Inside FileZilla or Cyberduck I use the XP's IP address 192.168.1.21 and port 21 and then try quick connect but it times out so I tried also ticking the anonymous box without success. Can someone tell me with a list of directions to FTP into the XP side

Reply 1 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Verify that you can ping the other pc.
and enable SMB 1.0 support in windows 10

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 11, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-04-08, 10:32:

Verify that you can ping the other pc.

I decided to use an ADSL modem router for DHCP and after enabling SMB 1 I can access shared folders from the XP PC in explorer and I can ping on both PC's to each other but I still cant use FTP from Windows 10 to the XP PC it still times out, I noticed in XP in the firewall settings it has something about FTP but it needs an "IP address of the computer hosting the service on the network" see below pic I started at:

right clicked local area connection and chose options, advanced tab pressed settings, advanced tab pressed settings, services tab clicked on FTP Server and pressed edit, Service settings....

I tried disabling the XP firewall and another FTP to XP but now I get an error "Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server". Error: Could not connect to server"

Attachments

Reply 3 of 11, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I put the Windows 10 IP address into the last box on the right in the picture above I can nearly connect to XP in FileZilla but it says:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error: Could not connect to server

When putting the IP address as above I cant put a value for "external port number for this service" and "internal port number for this service" and "discription of this service" they are greyed out

Reply 4 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you even have an FTP server running ?

Do not ask Why !

Reply 5 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed, you would need an FTP server on the XP machine. I like smallftpd.
http://smallftpd.sourceforge.net/

weedeewee wrote on 2021-04-08, 10:32:

That's a rather risky thing to do from a security standpoint, especially considering that it shouldn't affect the functionality of FTP.

Reply 6 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To secure SMB If you want you can limit the IP addresses that can connect to 445 on SYSTEM. You can also Block 139 to SYSTEM if you don't need anything less than 2000 to connect to the box.

Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 11, by comp_ed82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the machines are connected to only each other through an Ethernet cable, you don't really need firewalls active at all.
Gigabit Ethernet doesn't need a crossover cable, but slower Ethernet protocols do.
Earlier posters suggested making sure the machines can ping each other; definitely do that first.
If each machine can ping each other, and you have both machines set to the same workgroup, you don't even need an FTP server. (If you really want one though, Google for "FileZilla Server". Older versions can run even on XP.)
Set up file sharing on the XP machine, and share out a folder on the XP machine.. for example, RetroFiles.

Using your specified IP examples, you would then get on the Windows 10 machine, open up a file explorer window, and type \\192.168.1.21\RetroFiles in the address bar to open up that shared folder on the XP box.
Alternatively, (only do this if the machines are connected *only* to each other and not to outside networks!!) you could share out the root of each hard drive on your XP machine.

Honestly, stuff like this is why I keep a Samba based file server on my network. It's actually more hassle to get newer Windows OSes to share to older Windows clients than it is to get a Linux/FreeBSD box capable of talking to both.

Another little note: Windows 10 is apparently capable of talking to older SMB *servers* by default; (I just checked this by sharing a folder on my 98 box and accessing it on 10) but you do need to change settings if you want older Windows OSes to be able to access shares on Windows 10 machines (where the Win10 machine is the server).

Reply 8 of 11, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

weedeewee the simple answer is no, im an idiot, a simpleton, a buffoon, a hick, a halfwit, a dope, imbecile and possibly two butt nuggets poorer from giving them away to tell you that wow I didn't think of that because from my first, second and third post it clearly shows I know nothing about it or I would have said so, if what you said was somehow a question and not a "you FU#@ing idiot" type of spit then disregard my last remark half sorry the signals are strong tonight.

Reply 9 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GabrielKnight123 wrote on 2021-04-08, 17:25:

weedeewee the simple answer is no, im an idiot, a simpleton, a buffoon, a hick, a halfwit, a dope, imbecile and possibly two butt nuggets poorer from giving them away to tell you that wow I didn't think of that because from my first, second and third post it clearly shows I know nothing about it or I would have said so, if what you said was somehow a question and not a "you FU#@ing idiot" type of spit then disregard my last remark half sorry the signals are strong tonight.

Goodmorning to you too.

at least I didn't ask you if you tried to turn it off and then on again. 😁

Do not ask Why !

Reply 10 of 11, by comp_ed82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I used to work tech support, I'd always ask for customers to try the obvious stuff first (yes, like power-cycling) because people can forget the obvious stuff when they're worked up & frustrated.
It happens to everyone... Really.

Reply 11 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
comp_ed82 wrote on 2021-04-08, 19:35:

When I used to work tech support, I'd always ask for customers to try the obvious stuff first (yes, like power-cycling) because people can forget the obvious stuff when they're worked up & frustrated.
It happens to everyone... Really.

and even then.... one can still encounter these 'facepalm' moments like,
customer says computer isn't working, yet only switches on the monitor.
or, Yes the power cord is plugged in... (into an extension cord which isn't plugged into the wall socket)
😁

Do not ask Why !