VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pheener

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think '99 counts as "very old", but I digress....

So I picked this up in a bargain bin the other day. I'm a sucker for first-ish person RPGs. I'd heard how buggy it was, but figured it was worth a try anyway. Other than cruddy control and such, it works fine, except for one tiny issue...

When I open any book, it lags (sound repeats, mouse/screen freezes) for about 3-5 seconds before it opens up. I was wondering if this is a common issue with running Ultima IX on newer computers, as I know that similar things can happen in other games.

If it's common (or, heck, even if it's not) does anyone know if it's fixable?

Detailed sys-specs aren't too important. I'm running a 2.0 ghz athlon on an Asus a7n8x motherboard, with an Audigy running sound, and an ATi Radeon 9700 pro for video. 512 megs of ram.

Thanks a bunch!

P.S. While I'm at it, maybe someone can answer this: Is there any easy way of seeing the Port address/IRQ/DMA for my soundcard? I've recently been trying to play Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games, which runs too slowly in VDMS... but I can't figure out the right combination of settings that match my soundcard for installation.

Reply 1 of 6, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Years and years later, I am playing another time at this big big game.

I have the same issue. Lag when open books.

I installed the game, I installed the patch 1.05, then 1.18f, then the 1.19f and the 1.19h. Then the italian translation patch for the dialogues.

How can I solve this issue?

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 2 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's been a long time since I played so my memory is foggy, but I think the same thing used to happen on my P2. It might have happened to everybody. I wonder if playing from a ramdisk or ssd would fix it.

Reply 3 of 6, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote on 2021-04-08, 21:40:

It's been a long time since I played so my memory is foggy, but I think the same thing used to happen on my P2. It might have happened to everybody. I wonder if playing from a ramdisk or ssd would fix it.

Just after a long search, I found an amatorial program called "Ultima IX extended setup utility" that helps you tweak various graphics settings and users said that this utility helped to solve that lag.

I will immediately try it and I write here how it ends to help other people to solve it.

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 4 of 6, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, it doesn't work, I tried everything but the lag remains. I don't know what to do, lag on a Athlon XP-M 1GB RAM and a 9800PRO is just absolutely unacceptable.

Love beer, too.

Reply 5 of 6, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had this exact issue on countless systems when trying to run Ultima IX. I'm afraid there ain't much of a solution, it seems to be tied to the Direct3D renderer. Perhaps you could try a Glide Wrapper such as the original dgVoodoo, I remember the problem going away when using a 3dfx card.

Reply 6 of 6, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2021-04-10, 09:28:

I've had this exact issue on countless systems when trying to run Ultima IX. I'm afraid there ain't much of a solution, it seems to be tied to the Direct3D renderer. Perhaps you could try a Glide Wrapper such as the original dgVoodoo, I remember the problem going away when using a 3dfx card.

Oh yes, I can confirm.

In another one system that I have, a proudly system with a SLI of 3DFX Voodoo2, this situation doesn't happens, book opens really fast.

But unfortuntately the performance are lot different than using a 9800PRO you could imagine.

Love beer, too.