VOGONS

Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

Topic actions

Reply 340 of 355, by pngo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

Screamer Rallye has some weirdness in the framerate/scrolling on a V2. Has anybody found the correct glide2x.ovl to fix the issue for the V2 exe under dos (windows shows the same issue actually)?
Running a socket 370 p3 866@650 because this seems to be a sweet spot where statically linked exe run well and glode2x.ovl dependant exe too. If i increase the fsb the 3dfx detection starts failing.

Reply 341 of 355, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There only 5 *.ovl files for V2.. you can try them quickly..

Attachments

• Filename
    V2.zip
    File size
    618.06 KiB
    Downloads
    177 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 342 of 355, by pngo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

3-01-00 -> 3dfx chip not detected
3-01-01 -> 3dfx chip not detected
3-02-02 -> game starts but still not playing "smoothly"
3-03-00 -> game starts but still not playing "smoothly" (same as previous version)
rkv2dx6303 -> game starts but still not playing "smoothly" (same as previous version)

I actually "fixed" the issue by lowering the detail level to LOW in the game setting menu and got a perfectly smooth running gameplay.
Medium runs quite much better that high, but still some slowdowns here and there depending on what is displayed on the screen, and low runs better than medium, with zero slowdown.
Even at low, the game still looks totally acceptable to me with a v2.

My conclusion would be that for that late era dos game, it probably requires a sli of v2s to run at full speed at high. Looking back at it, it looks like a single v2 struggles.
I cant confirm myself since I only have one, and i am not planning to go through the hassle of running a sli of those.

edit: rkv2dx6303 seems to be the one that provides the best performance amoungst the wroking ovls.

Reply 343 of 355, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i think it will be very usefull to you ,
it makes statik link games work again
https://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6785

also i discover 'glide1x' windows games on real voodoo2 have glitchy colors , can be fixed by using bat files with content

set SST_GRXCLK=90 set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4 set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6 set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6 set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1 set SST_VOUT_CLK […]
Show full quote

set SST_GRXCLK=90
set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
set SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
set sst_SLIDETECT=0
SET FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=1
set SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2
SET SST_FASTMEM=1
SET SST_FASTPCIRD=1
SET SST_SWAP_EN_WAIT_ON_VSYNC=1
3dfxwindowsgame.exe #(Olive text -- the game uses glide.dll and sst1init.dll (glide1x).) http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic. … =10&t=672#p3477

in other words simply use bat file's from this thread but change game exe in bat file to one that comes with glide1x windows

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-04-22, 01:05. Edited 1 time in total.

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 344 of 355, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its would be nice, if someone can write to patcher to hex magic quickly and without risk..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 345 of 355, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote on 2020-12-09, 19:31:

The theory: static linked games can't use the hub architecture (Intel 8xx and later).
The code checks the bus 0 only. And fails the card detection (the hub architecture uses 02 for PCI slots, 01 for the AGP slot and 00 for integrated devices).
I not have a Voodoo Graphics so can't test.

The theory is confirmed. All tested dosglide1x games are working on the i865PE PC with Voodoo2 SLI. Well, all except Whiplash...
Battle Arena Toshinden, Descent II, EF 2000 v2.0 (EF 2000 + EF 2000: Tactcom + 3dfx update), Screamer 2, Star Fighter 3000, Tomb Raider, UEFA Champions League, VR Soccer '96 (OEM), Whiplash and XCar: Experimental Racing.

P.S. FC 00 00 00 0D 00 00 00 80 BA F8 0C 00 00 09 -> FC 00 00 00 0D 00 00 02 80 BA F8 0C 00 00 09. 2 times.
0C 00 00 0D 00 00 00 80 EF BA FC -> 0C 00 00 0D 00 00 02 80 EF BA FC.

P.S.S. https://www.mediafire.com/file/z60xlehqzuj11r … Static.zip/file -- edited .exes for statically linked glide games (PCI version, 00 -> 02).

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2022-03-11, 12:44. Edited 4 times in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 349 of 355, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

other dos glide games:
Furcol
Extreme Tennis
Grand Theft Auto: London 1961
Jet Fighter 3 Enhanced Campagin

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 350 of 355, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pngo wrote on 2021-03-13, 18:45:

My conclusion would be that for that late era dos game, it probably requires a sli of v2s to run at full speed at high. Looking back at it, it looks like a single v2 struggles.

The problem with Screamer Rally seems to be that the voodoo 2 is in fact too fast.
The glitchy framerate can be fixed by underclocking the voodoo 2. Set the following in your batch file:

SET SSTV2_GRXCLK=57
SET SSTV2_FASTMEM=1
SET SSTV2_FASTPCIRD=1

I was using the glide ovl file from the 3-03-00 drivers but I don't think it matters , it's the underclock that fixes it.
With these settings Screamer Rally is very fast and smooth with high detail on voodoo 2.

Reply 354 of 355, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Der Kuenringer wrote on 2020-12-07, 00:47:
Gamecollector wrote on 2020-12-06, 22:29:

1. No.
2. The backward compatibility isn't 100% for Voodoo2s. Dunno about the source of this bug (hardware or software) but some DOS glide games freezes on Voodoo2s right after the 3dfx logo.
Carmageddon, Extreme Assault and Screamer Rally are affected but have Voodoo2 patches. Dreams to Reality, Prost Grand Prix, Screamer 2 and Tie Break Tennis are affected and still not have the Voodoo2 compatibility. *Censored*

That's unfortunate. Has anyone ever invested time in checking the Banshee with DOS glide games, like EF2000 or Archimedean Dynasty? I have repeatedly seen it being described as on par with a V2 in terms of compatibility, but the Banshee at least can run Dreams to Reality (I've seen a video of it lately).

Hi all, I have a theory to share in regards to why running D2R seems to have varying success rates with most voodoo cards except for the voodoo 2:
since the voodoo2 is more-or less multiple voodoo1s on a single card, perhaps the game "sees it" too much as a voodoo 1, only to then crash when it finds something unexpected from the only-slight difference of the v2, such as calls for one gpu/too much ram, only to get calls back from the multiple gpus of the v2 PCB.
Maybe a batch file command of sorts could tell/trick the game that there are 3 or more video cards installed, regardless of how many cards there actually are in the host PC.

I understand that the voodoo 3/4/5/rush/banshee have a different enough architecture, so D2R probably sees them as something else, regardless of user-settings. Has anyone played D2R on a canopus pure3d? that's a v1 with more memory than a standard v1.

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 355 of 355, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Related to this thread, I modded two DOS Glide 2.4x files from the Voodoo Graphics to work with Voodoo2 cards. This could make the trick with Dreams to Reality which I heard that it was notorious for not working with Voodoo2 cards.

Check here: DOS Glide 2.4x Mod for Voodoo2

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS