VOGONS

First post, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so sometime ago I got an Athlon 700 slot A "classic" (I mean, non-thunderbird) and created a record for it in my database (just a crappy excel sheet btw) acording to the writings on the top of the plastic case.

Today I was finally able to test it and check it with cpu-z and other tools and found something quite interesting:

There are 3 types of Athlon 700 in Slot A format:

"Argon" core (Model 1 aka "K7", 250nm), part number AMD-K7700MTR51B C
"Pluto" core (Model 2 aka "K75", 180nm), part number AMD-K7700MTR51B A
"Thunderbird" core (Model 4, 180nm), part number AMD-A0700MPR24B A

Now here comes the tricky part, mine says AMD-K7700MTR51B A on the top of the plastic case, which would mean it's a Pluto/K75 core, but as soon as I powered it on and checked it, it appears to be an Argon core (and it sure gets hot as hell). I'm pretty sure the case has not been replaced, it's the original one. May it be from the time they were transitioning from K7 to K75 and somehow misprinted it or some plastic cases got mixed up?
I've checked the dates and the K75 was introduced on November 99, and this cpu has a date code of January 00.
Any ideas?

PS: I registered to cpu-world forum to ask this question (same username as here), but I never got the activation email so I can't login. If anyone has an account there and can contact a mod or admin and tell them to re-send the email or just activate my account, that would be awesome.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-05-29, 19:37:

The processor's plastic looks too shiny for that?

Cheers,

Too shiny for what?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 8, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Am386DX-40 wrote on 2021-05-29, 17:40:

PS: I registered to cpu-world forum to ask this question (same username as here), but I never got the activation email so I can't login. If anyone has an account there and can contact a mod or admin and tell them to re-send the email or just activate my account, that would be awesome.

I am mod over there. I have messaged the site owner to ask him to help. Could you PM me the email you used, as that will probably make it easier? I know that Hotmail reject emails from cpu-world.com, so wonder if maybe you are using a MS email address?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 8, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2021-05-29, 19:56:

I am mod over there. I have messaged the site owner to ask him to help. Could you PM me the email you used, as that will probably make it easier? I know that Hotmail reject emails from cpu-world.com, so wonder if maybe you are using a MS email address?

Yeah, I'm using hotmail (same email address since early 97!). I'll PM you.

Reply 5 of 8, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-05-29, 19:37:

The processor's plastic looks too shiny for that?

Cheers,

Too shiny? I have 6 of these processors and all of them are exactly the same "shine-wise". Might have been the camera flash.

Reply 7 of 8, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Delerium wrote on 2022-04-10, 19:52:

I have an AMD Athlon 1 GHz Slot A with Orion core. With some versions it reports correct but some versions it says its a Pluto core.

Both Pluto and Orion have the same CPUIDs of 621 and 622 and the only way to tell it's an Orion rather than a Pluto is the speed being 1GHz. I suspect if you underclock your Orion it will be reported as a Pluto by some utilities.

Argon has CPUIDs of 611 and 612, given this the AMD-K7700MTR51B A is an Argon and the number on the package is incorrect.

Reply 8 of 8, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PS: I registered to cpu-world forum to ask this question (same username as here), but I never got the activation email so I can't login.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, but registration activation E-mail almost exclusively ends up in my spam folder.

I assume your CPU is weird and mislabeled.

I like jumpers.