VOGONS

First post, by Daninthemix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know how to make the original Colin McRae Rally run smoothly? DgVoodoo enables it to run, but it's extremely stutter (sorry I accidentally posted this in the 2.6 thread).

Reply 1 of 7, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed Colin McRae Rally + 1.5 patch + Win7 patch and there was no extreme stuttering. There was very slight stuttering that I didn't look into, but since it wasn't anywhere near extreme I doubt that was your problem.

1) Disable compatibility modes if you have them enabled.

2) Check the framerate with a framerate counter and tell us that. If it's exactly 25 you enabled the game's framelimiter in the options and you need to turn it off again (I wouldn't qualify that as extremely stuttery either, but I'm on a FreeSync monitor. 25 FPS might look bad on a 60Hz monitor).

3) Try a full reboot (choose "Restart", not "Shut down") in case there's some background application causing issues or this game doesn't like high uptimes (I tested with UptimeFaker and it shouldn't be the case, but maybe I did something wrong).

4) Make sure dgVoodoo is actually running. Do you see the watermark?

Dege: you might want to look into the game. There's some texture errors here and there:

Rally_2021_07_04_14_01_05_770.jpg
Filename
File size
88.42 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Flags are obviously wrongly colored, I haven't been able to display them properly in any scenario, but I'm pretty sure that's a bug with dgVoodoo (or maybe the game just checking color depth and doing some dumb conversion of its own).

Reply 2 of 7, by Daninthemix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2021-07-04, 12:26:
Installed Colin McRae Rally + 1.5 patch + Win7 patch and there was no extreme stuttering. There was very slight stuttering that […]
Show full quote

Installed Colin McRae Rally + 1.5 patch + Win7 patch and there was no extreme stuttering. There was very slight stuttering that I didn't look into, but since it wasn't anywhere near extreme I doubt that was your problem.

2) Check the framerate with a framerate counter and tell us that. If it's exactly 25 you enabled the game's framelimiter in the options and you need to turn it off again (I wouldn't qualify that as extremely stuttery either, but I'm on a FreeSync monitor. 25 FPS might look bad on a 60Hz monitor).

3) Try a full reboot (choose "Restart", not "Shut down") in case there's some background application causing issues or this game doesn't like high uptimes (I tested with UptimeFaker and it shouldn't be the case, but maybe I did something wrong).

Dege: you might want to look into the game. There's some texture errors here and there:
Flags are obviously wrongly colored, I haven't been able to display them properly in any scenario, but I'm pretty sure that's a bug with dgVoodoo (or maybe the game just checking color depth and doing some dumb conversion of its own).

Thankyou! It was the W7 patch that I was missing. Once I installed that and turned off the compatibility modes, the game runs smoothly (albeit with messed up colors in the menus, as you've noted).

Thanks again

Reply 3 of 7, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Daninthemix wrote on 2021-07-04, 12:40:
ZellSF wrote on 2021-07-04, 12:26:
Installed Colin McRae Rally + 1.5 patch + Win7 patch and there was no extreme stuttering. There was very slight stuttering that […]
Show full quote

Thankyou! It was the W7 patch that I was missing. Once I installed that and turned off the compatibility modes, the game runs smoothly (albeit with messed up colors in the menus, as you've noted).

Implying the messed up colors weren't there before? Interesting, you're right. The Win7 patch is what messes up colors. Never mind that then Dege.

You can run the game without the Windows 7 patch, but you need to disable compatibility mode because that causes performance issues. Obviously there's a problem here, since it checks for the Windows version, so you need the compatibility mode. What do do? You need to install and learn How to use the Compatibility Administrator Utility in Windows (the download link is broken, it is now part of the ADK).

After you got an idea for how to use it create a new application fix for Colin McRae Rally and rather than selecting anything in "Compatibility Modes", skip that page and click Next, on the compatibility fixes page check "IgnoreException" and "Win95VersionLie". As a general rule for old software I also like checking "EmulateHeap" and "SingleProcAffinity".

Though that makes the screen flash black when you choose different options 😒. That does seem to be a dgVoodoo problem since it doesn't happen natively.

Reply 5 of 7, by gernumikus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please write in which version of dgvoodoo the lack of fog is fixed? Or is everything good in the latest versions of dgvoodoo?
I saw Dege's comment in some YouTube video that he fixed, but it didn't say which version.

Reply 6 of 7, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See the changelog for dgVoodoo, it's fixed in 2.54

General bugfixing, like unexpected forced windowed mode (Soulbringer movies), vertex shader (missing fog in Colin McRae Rally), non-perspective polygon drawing bug, fixed (Zanzarah The Hidden Portal), and a lot other