VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Abandoned Witch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Abandoned Witch here again, and I am having problems with G-Nome on Windows 7 right now though, since the oldest topic for G-Nome comes from 2005, and I don't want to revive old topics so I am doing a new topic for this game. When I start the game black screen with sound plays (and the videos were actually the intro and credits), and apparently those videos the Smacker file format. So what should I do to show those files?
I am running the game on Windows 7 64 bit.

The Witch will never die!!! At least there is hope.
There's no one but you on my mind, searching for a perfect ending that we'll never find!

Reply 1 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Abandoned Witch wrote on 2021-07-03, 09:35:

since the oldest topic for G-Nome comes from 2005, and I don't want to revive old topics so I am doing a new topic for this game.

That's fair, but you can at least provide a link so that people know what you are talking about.
Re: G-Nome

Just to take a completely wild guess for starters: do you have multiple displays available on your video card?

Reply 2 of 7, by Abandoned Witch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only have one video card actually and only single displays, and I had this game with cutscenes showing before.

There's no one but you on my mind, searching for a perfect ending that we'll never find!

Reply 4 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Abandoned Witch wrote on 2021-07-05, 08:56:

I had this game with cutscenes showing before.

What does that mean? You had it on same computer where you are currently trying to run it, under Windows 7 64 bit?

Carrera wrote on 2021-07-05, 12:12:

It has to do with the codec if memory serves... You had to copy the files, or add codecs to folders or something..

If it's Smacker, then the RAD Video Tools would be the only thing applicable.

Reply 5 of 7, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's Smacker. So messing with video codecs is not going to do anything. You can try different smackw32.dll versions, though I tried a few without any luck. I don't really see any reason to care about a intro + credits video though. If it was ingame videos I understand, but you could just play the intro before opening the game and who really cares about the credits?

Reply 7 of 7, by Abandoned Witch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-07-05, 14:41:
Abandoned Witch wrote on 2021-07-05, 08:56:

I had this game with cutscenes showing before.

What does that mean? You had it on same computer where you are currently trying to run it, under Windows 7 64 bit?

It was on Windows XP, I think.