Common searches

Why DOS died...

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 192, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I prefer Vegemite. Marmite is far too yeasty for me.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 142 of 192, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

All you need to know about Vegemite https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fVKPrQv1H8I

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 143 of 192, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

System Requirements
120MHz Marmite Dextrose4 CPU
384MB of SIP Coke Memory
10mg of HDD Space
Vegimite Graphics
Nutella Sound System
Requires 56KG Internet Connection or Better
10tbsp LAN Adapter for Networking

Press "F1" if in a Pickle

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 145 of 192, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday on a windows 2016 server a file had a space at the end of the name, windows could not delete or rename it and could not delete the folder, DOS command "RMDIR [dir] / s" delete it.

Obviously a young technician lost 1 hour looking for a software that could delete or rename the file, I opened CMD and executed the command in 10 seconds

Attachments

Reply 146 of 192, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dataino.it wrote on 2021-07-16, 18:24:

Yesterday on a windows 2016 server a file had a space at the end of the name, windows could not delete or rename it and could not delete the folder, DOS command "RMDIR [dir] / s" delete it.

You do understand that RMDIR /s is a Windows command, available only at an NT5+ command prompt?

"Real DOS for real men" doesn't have it. That's why you had external programs like DELTREE. 🤣

Last edited by dr_st on 2021-07-16, 18:56. Edited 1 time in total.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 149 of 192, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anders- wrote on 2021-07-16, 18:38:
dr_st wrote on 2021-07-16, 18:27:
dataino.it wrote on 2021-07-16, 18:24:

You do understand that RMDIR /s is a Windows command, available only at an NT5+ command prompt?

"Real DOS for real men" doesn't have it. That's why you had to had external programs like DELTREE. 🤣

rmdir is present in ms-dos since a long time ago, it's for deleting empty directories.
deltree is shipped with ms-dos, so not sure where you got "external" from?

*Ahem* internal commands = the stuff that command.com has built-in.
External commands = programs (*.com,*.exe,*.bat)
🥳

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 151 of 192, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anders- wrote on 2021-07-16, 18:54:

I read internal as "internal to dos" i.e. not a third-party addon. Guess it's a matter of definition.

Yes, it's a tricky definition. That's why I said "external" and not "third-party". 😉

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 152 of 192, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ragefury32 wrote on 2021-07-16, 14:06:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-16, 06:54:

I prefer Vegemite. Marmite is far too yeasty for me.

VEGEMIGHT AND MARMIGHT, YOU MEAN?

DYNAMITE-BOM! BOOM!

Reply 154 of 192, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In FreeDOS, since I download so many games and stuff that are packaged in LFN folders when I unzip/unrar the archives, I usually end up using the ren command in the following way to achive what was mentioned....this is merely an example of what I do....I actually did not have to download BLood & Magic as I have the actual Forgotten REalms Collection CD....but it's a good example of this

(Downloads Blood & Magic to NEC Versa M/75)
(copies BAM.RAR to e:\AD&D)
(unrar x BAM.RAR..........long file open ensues with a folder named E:\AD&D\BLOOD AN\
(of course has trouble entering said directory)
(issues the following command...while in the E:\AD&D directory...)

ren blood* BAM

changes directory from E:\AD&D\BLOOD AN\ to E:\AD&D\BAM

And were all golden.

It's a fine example of how I.T. can be really messed up by "kids" not learning some of the "ancient stuff". That's actually a well kept secret why problems that take everyone else hours takes me only 5-minutes....because sometimes those Vintage Computing skills actually come in handy in a modern context. Alot of the younger techs I've met don't know about things like REN, DEL, DELTREE, or FORMAT - they just know how to click through the GUI to it.

I think in today's I.T. Landscape there'se too much "F*** the past! IT's 2021! None of that can possibly be relevant!" - when in actuality, PC's have a lot of things, server and desktop, that still function much the same as they did way back in the "Good ole days".

Last edited by creepingnet on 2021-07-16, 21:18. Edited 1 time in total.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 155 of 192, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2021-07-16, 18:55:
Anders- wrote on 2021-07-16, 18:54:

I read internal as "internal to dos" i.e. not a third-party addon. Guess it's a matter of definition.

Yes, it's a tricky definition. That's why I said "external" and not "third-party". 😉

Kids these days.. 🙄
RTFM - Read the fine manual, no need for guessing (in this case). 😀
In my PC-DOS 3.3 handbook, "internal" and "external" commands are clearly described, the way I told. 😁

Source: PC-DOS Reference v3.30 1987

Attachments

• assign_pcd_man_33.png
    Filename
    assign_pcd_man_33.png
    File size
    104.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 156 of 192, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
creepingnet wrote on 2021-07-16, 21:17:
In FreeDOS, since I download so many games and stuff that are packaged in LFN folders when I unzip/unrar the archives, I usually […]
Show full quote

In FreeDOS, since I download so many games and stuff that are packaged in LFN folders when I unzip/unrar the archives, I usually end up using the ren command in the following way to achive what was mentioned....this is merely an example of what I do....I actually did not have to download BLood & Magic as I have the actual Forgotten REalms Collection CD....but it's a good example of this

(Downloads Blood & Magic to NEC Versa M/75)
(copies BAM.RAR to e:\AD&D)
(unrar x BAM.RAR..........long file open ensues with a folder named E:\AD&D\BLOOD AN\
(of course has trouble entering said directory)
(issues the following command...while in the E:\AD&D directory...)

ren blood* BAM

changes directory from E:\AD&D\BLOOD AN\ to E:\AD&D\BAM

And were all golden.

It's a fine example of how I.T. can be really messed up by "kids" not learning some of the "ancient stuff". That's actually a well kept secret why problems that take everyone else hours takes me only 5-minutes....because sometimes those Vintage Computing skills actually come in handy in a modern context. Alot of the younger techs I've met don't know about things like REN, DEL, DELTREE, or FORMAT - they just know how to click through the GUI to it.

I think in today's I.T. Landscape there'se too much "F*** the past! IT's 2021! None of that can possibly be relevant!" - when in actuality, PC's have a lot of things, server and desktop, that still function much the same as they did way back in the "Good ole days".

Same goes for current old fashion operating systems like Linux/BSDs who use a lot much older *nix commands....😉

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-08-10, 02:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 157 of 192, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2021-07-15, 20:23:
zyzzle wrote on 2021-07-15, 19:44:

Of course there's hibernation and sleep modes, but I'm a stickler for not liking to leave anything "on" as even these low-power modes consume power all the time, and those costs do add up, especially at my power rates of 55 cents per kilowatt hour.

You can justify your habits in any way you want, but these alleged power costs are negligible. Try to find out how much an average PC consumes in sleep mode (hibernation is like power-off), and do the math.

Sure, I know it's a 'negligible' but I know there are 8760 hours in a year, and my power costs me 56 cents a kilowatt-hour. So, even one watt running continuously will cost me $5.00 in extra electric cost per year. Multiply that by 100 "wasted", negligible watts of an 'average' household who just leaves all their appliances in standby all the time, and you realize even sipping power is costing them $500+ per year in wasted costs. Little things multiply into big costs very quickly unless watched. That's how I look at it. Good stewardship is hard to accomplish when all of your electronics gadgets never really turn off. They're that way by design (BAD design), and so I have to use power-strips to make sure my TV, microwave, etc are really OFF at night, or when I'm away from the house, etc.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-17, 07:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 158 of 192, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zyzzle wrote on 2021-07-17, 03:51:
dr_st wrote on 2021-07-15, 20:23:
zyzzle wrote on 2021-07-15, 19:44:

Of course there's hibernation and sleep modes, but I'm a stickler for not liking to leave anything "on" as even these low-power modes consume power all the time, and those costs do add up, especially at my power rates of 55 cents per kilowatt hour.

You can justify your habits in any way you want, but these alleged power costs are negligible. Try to find out how much an average PC consumes in sleep mode (hibernation is like power-off), and do the math.

Sure, I know it's a 'negligible' but I know there are 8760 hours in a year, and my power costs me 56 cents a kilowatt-hour. So, even one watt running continuously will cost me $5.00 in extra electric cost per year. Multiply that by 100 "wasted", negligible watts of an 'average' household who just leaves all their appliances in standby all the time, and you realize even sipping power is costing them $500+ per year in wasted costs. Little things multiply into big costs very quickly unless watched. That's how I look at it. Good stewardship is hard to accomplish when all of your electronics gadgets never really turn off. They're that way by design (BAD design), and so I have to use power-strips to make sure my TV, microwave, etc are really OFF at night, or when I'm away from the house, etc.

Most people think that way by now, I guess. However, they all miss a flaw that's in the calculation.
Electrical devices do age quickly if constantly switched on/off.

Figuratively speaking: Because of fluctuations in temperature, material fatigue happens.
The material expands, shrinks, expands.. ICs and other filigrane elements don't like that.

Imagine a wire that's constantly bend back and forth, it eventually breaks.
(Overvoltage, which happens during on/off switching is also a problem. See below. Kills diodes, transistors etc.)

Anyway, I told people many times about it. They simply ignore the matter.
Heck, even in schools they continue to teach that nonsense about power savings.

Another bad side effect of power-savings are the peaks on the power grids.
If millions/billions of devices switch on and off simultanously, then they cause a big burden on the power grids.

There are exceptions, of course. A CPU dies at some point if it overheats, for example.
So, say, a HALT instruction is useful to allow it making a pause.

However, reducing clock speed to a permant, safe level would be best.
In this respect, old computers from the 80s/early 90s did it better.

//My video channel//