VOGONS

First post, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Xbox 360 controller is recognised by NFS2:SE, but when I attempt to map the functions, the only input it sees is the left analogue stick.

I have installed nusb36e and Omake's X360 driver. The controller works perfectly in NFS: Porsche Unleashed.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll be annoying and say - get a controller that properly supports both DirectInput and XInput via hardware switch. If you like the feel and layout of the Xbox 360 controller, I can suggest the Speedlink Xeox Pro.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 12, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use one of these gamepads, they support dinput and xinput, switchable by keeping start pressed couple seconds: http://retro-bit.com/sega-genesis-8-button-ar … clear-blue.html

Reply 4 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aha2940 wrote on 2020-04-19, 02:30:

I use one of these gamepads, they support dinput and xinput, switchable by keeping start pressed couple seconds: http://retro-bit.com/sega-genesis-8-button-ar … clear-blue.html

Interesting, a controller with XInput support but no analogue sticks? In a racing game, an analogue stick might be an advantage, though from playing Outrun 2006 with various controllers, with and without sticks, the difference was not as meaningful as I imagined.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 12, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please let us know if you find anything with an analogue stick which works in Win98 (I'm sure DOS support is out of the picture though...). I just can't deal with the Gravis ultrapad or gamepad pro (or whatever it's called). It's literally one of the worst controllers I've ever used (and I've used a LOT of knock-offs for different consoles!).

I have 4 or 5 of the RetroBit controllers (all the wireless variety though), and they're pretty good actually - better than nearly all 3rd party ones I've tried for sure. I just need dual sticks for 1st person shooters like Quake and such since I'm so used to playing on modern consoles with the dual stick controller layout and haven't been able to retrain my brain to use a keyboard and mouse anywhere near as well (plus mild arthritis just makes it easier to use a controller anymore).

Reply 6 of 12, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-04-19, 12:24:

Please let us know if you find anything with an analogue stick which works in Win98 (I'm sure DOS support is out of the picture though...).

I used a Logitech RumblePad 2 back in the day.

It's a USB game pad which has Win98 drivers and supports dinput but it doesn't support the newer xinput. I don't have it anymore, but I remember that it worked fine with PS1 emulators of the time, including proper vibration support.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 12, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-04-19, 13:46:

I used a Logitech RumblePad 2 back in the day.

It's a USB game pad which has Win98 drivers and supports dinput but it doesn't support the newer xinput. I don't have it anymore, but I remember that it worked fine with PS1 emulators of the time, including proper vibration support.

They still sell near identical ones actually - Logitech F310 model which I didn't care for (and I swear I'm not picky, I'm fine with EVERY single official video game controller - even Dreamcast and N64 are OK to me). I kinda ban Logitech from my house actually 🤣. For fun I just checked my Amazon history and saw Logitech: K400 keyboard, G602 mouse, F310 gamepad, TK820 wireless keyboard. Returned every single one. Their quote-on-quote wireless stuff loses signal literally, I measured, 6 feet from my computer! (and like 3x different computers so it's not just one!).

Thank you for the recommendation though.

Reply 8 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you don't like the Logitech controllers, I can recommend the Speedlink ones. Everything mentioned here will work. I really like how the Xeox Pro feels, but it seems its rubbery texture does wear out and become sticky over time.

With that said, any controller from the DirectInput era should support Win98 SE and later (I haven't tried earlier Win9x versions).

Reply 9 of 12, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-04-19, 12:24:

Please let us know if you find anything with an analogue stick which works in Win98 (I'm sure DOS support is out of the picture though...). I just can't deal with the Gravis ultrapad or gamepad pro (or whatever it's called). It's literally one of the worst controllers I've ever used (and I've used a LOT of knock-offs for different consoles!).

I have 4 or 5 of the RetroBit controllers (all the wireless variety though), and they're pretty good actually - better than nearly all 3rd party ones I've tried for sure. I just need dual sticks for 1st person shooters like Quake and such since I'm so used to playing on modern consoles with the dual stick controller layout and haven't been able to retrain my brain to use a keyboard and mouse anywhere near as well (plus mild arthritis just makes it easier to use a controller anymore).

I also use a Gravis Xterminator digital gamepad. It has digital and analog pads, two triggers (digital and analog ones), lots of buttons and it's compatible with the MIDI port as well as the USB port. It works from win95 up to (at least) winXP. The only issue I find with it is the d-pad: it's not as good as I'd like to, but everything else is very good. Pic:

41K6RV6DBWL._AC_.jpg

Reply 10 of 12, by realbadpainting

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-04-18, 07:53:

I'll be annoying and say - get a controller that properly supports both DirectInput and XInput via hardware switch. If you like the feel and layout of the Xbox 360 controller, I can suggest the Speedlink Xeox Pro.

I know this thread is old and dead but I ran into it searching for some answers. Are you using the Speedlink you mentioned here, and can you comment on its compatibility? Is it actually a dual analog controller that I can on the fly switch between Win98 and WinXP? Does it work in DOS with even older games? And does it require additional drivers or wrappers? I thought my DS4 would work in Win98, and it does with the default drivers Windows installed, but only in a handful of games. Others, like Resident Evil, it's all buggy and doesn't work at all.

Reply 11 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I still use the Speedlink Xeox Pro (to the extent that I use controllers at all). As I wrote, it is compatible with DirectInput and XInput and has a hardware switch to change the mode.

DirectInput is supported natively by Win9x and any later OS. XInput is supported natively by XP (I think since Service Pack 2) and later OS.

It will not work in DOS at all, since it is a USB controller. If there are any solutions that enable support for USB gamepads in DOS, then it should work like any other USB gamepad.

Reply 12 of 12, by realbadpainting

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2021-07-25, 19:11:

Yes, I still use the Speedlink Xeox Pro (to the extent that I use controllers at all). As I wrote, it is compatible with DirectInput and XInput and has a hardware switch to change the mode.

DirectInput is supported natively by Win9x and any later OS. XInput is supported natively by XP (I think since Service Pack 2) and later OS.

It will not work in DOS at all, since it is a USB controller. If there are any solutions that enable support for USB gamepads in DOS, then it should work like any other USB gamepad.

I've heard that there is a fanmade xinput wrapper for Win98 - have you ever heard of this or know about it? I think I probably will go with your suggestion and buy this controller, but in a lot of threads people recommend the DS4 for Win98 as it's supposedly plug and play. That just hasn't been my experience though, like I said some games work for me and others don't. I feel like I'm missing something here?