VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted to play some games today and found out two things about this laptop.

1) When the optical drive is engaged, the computer slows down to a crawl. I'm guessing the lens needs to be cleaned or the drive itself is half-dead or both 😁 It takes forever to load/install games and it's not very reliable. In normal operation the computer feels really fast.

2) I installed Heroes of Might and Magic and couldn't find a way to run it in 800x600. All the resolutions above 640x480 are grayed out in the menu. In full screen there is this annoying black border that I want to get rid of. Curse of the Monkey Island defaults to 640x480 as well and I couldn't find a way to change it. Mind you, I don't want to stretch the image. I want it to display proper 800x600 which I know the computer is capable of. Windows is running 800x600 16-bit colour just fine.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 1, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far I tried two different optical drives and had no luck with either. One I couldn't even fit without shaving off a milimeter of the faceplate, the other gives me a HDC error at bootup. Will try a few more different drives tomorrow.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png