VOGONS

Reply 360 of 541, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys! I read all the topic. I just bought a luckystar ls486e rev c1 sis496/497 on eBay. It doesnt have ps/2 support. ( I think keyboard controller is Via VT82C41N and i think it could have PS/2 support because VT82C416 has it in datasheet) (VT82C41N datasheet cant be found anywhere) The motherboard has 2 places with solders points and pins(J2) that could be PS/2 port. If i solder a PS/2 port on it, Could i use TSR ps2suppc.com to try the mouse instead of the bios mod ? Thanks for answer.

Did someone succeed To get a ps/2 mouse working on this motherboard yet with the bios mod or the TSR with the original VT82C41N ? Maybe we just need to find if the 5 solders points or 4-pins (j2) can get it working with a ps/2 mouse.

( Note: im not sure i did the good choice, the seller offer me the same price deal for this Lucky star or for this 4DPS Ver 2.0 that have native ps/2 support. If possible tell me which one you prefer, he didnt ship yet. or pm me.Thanks)

( Note2: I'm not sure i can build this module by myself, my father is a electronic technician maybe i can ask him.)

(In this topic a person did want a ps/2 on the same Lucky star motherboard than mine, but he didnt experiment for a long time:
LuckyStar LS486E rev.C2 and Cyrix 5x86@133)

Reply 362 of 541, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rio444 wrote on 2020-09-25, 11:38:

Hi!
Yes, of course you can use ps2supp. Bios for sure already has support for ps/2 mouse.
It may need to be turned on.

So i can use ps2supp without a module, if my integrated keyboard VT82C41N has already ps/2 support and that i can possibly find the ps/2 pinout on my motherboard ? Right ?

( i dont want to mess with flashing a bios for now, i have a late revision and i dont want to risk a bad flash)

Reply 363 of 541, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
renejr902 wrote on 2020-09-25, 11:45:

So i can use ps2supp without a module, if my integrated keyboard VT82C41N has already ps/2 support and that i can possibly find the ps/2 pinout on my motherboard ? Right ?

( i dont want to mess with flashing a bios for now, i have a late revision and i dont want to risk a bad flash)

Yes that's right.
Ps2supp only provides software support, and does not depend on hardware.

But again, there is a high probability that the bios already has the necessary support for ps/2 mouse.
Perhaps it must be enabled in the BIOS setup.

My e-mail Email.1569054222.png

Reply 364 of 541, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rio444 wrote on 2020-09-25, 13:28:
Yes that's right. Ps2supp only provides software support, and does not depend on hardware. […]
Show full quote
renejr902 wrote on 2020-09-25, 11:45:

Yes that's right.
Ps2supp only provides software support, and does not depend on hardware.

But again, there is a high probability that the bios already has the necessary support for ps/2 mouse.
Perhaps it must be enabled in the BIOS setup.

I just saw that you have helped someone on another forum in the past, about this motherboard Lucky Star Ls486e and about the keyboard controller VT82C41N. Are you able to confirm that VT82C41N has the ps/2 mouse support ? ( like VT82C42) I searched for several minutes to find the datasheet and i cant find it. Thanks for answer.
If you able to tell me any information that can help me to get the ps/2 working with this motherboard with his VT82C41N, let me know thanks a lot.
( I will search for pinout on the board and test them.)

Reply 365 of 541, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
renejr902 wrote on 2020-09-25, 15:22:

Are you able to confirm that VT82C41N has the ps/2 mouse support ?

Most likely it supports. I also could not find a datasheet for this chip. However, as I know, there are motherboards with this chip and PS/2 support.

Reply 366 of 541, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rio444 wrote on 2020-09-25, 17:27:

Most likely it supports. I also could not find a datasheet for this chip. However, as I know, there are motherboards with this chip and PS/2 support.

I have some more questions, thanks a lot!
Can i try to use the mouse clock and mouse data position from the VT82C42 datasheet or from your diagram? Is it dangerous trying this ? Could it be the same pinout position ? If yes, do i need To solder capacitor, ferrite beads.. like your diagram or can i do a fast try to see if the mouse is working ? And if its working we will do a better job. Do i need to find other pinout, or i only need mouse clock and mouse data ? ( i know for ground and +5v) Thanks for your help. I'm not a electronic technician, but my father is one. But he doesnt speak english, so i try my best to understand everything and i try to figure out everything and explain it to him. Thanks so much. We want to try it this, as soon as i receive the motherboard. If its not dangerous, i will try all pinout from the VT82C41N chip to find the mouse clock and mouse data, let me know if its dangerous ? Thanks so much for your help!

Reply 367 of 541, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
renejr902 wrote on 2020-09-26, 11:12:

I think you should look for someone who has a similar board with a PS/2 mouse connector. This will be the easiest. I'll also look, maybe there is one.

Reply 368 of 541, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd like to poll everyone who is using a variant of the ps/2 circuit presented in this thread

Do you use an active KVM with it, and does it work properly? Which KVM?

I sold some boards to a friend of mine who is using a Belkin Omniview and he is reporting that it will work only briefly and then stop

Reply 369 of 541, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That one connector is burnt and is junk now due to corrosion and burnt. Do not repair these, replace both connector pin and cut a wire with connector from another and transfer this to yours and splice in.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 370 of 541, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many thanks to Rio444, maxtherabbit and everyone else for this project. My "386SX Ver 2.0" board is now running with working PS2 mouse with a P8042AHP keyboard controller (the original didn't work with the mod) and PS2suppc.com.

So far, this is the only board that fits the adapter without having a problem or not fitting, but I'll try it on some of my other 386 and 486 systems soon.

I can try it out with my Belkin Omniview SE / Pro (F1D104-OSD/F1D102) if needed. How long does it take to cause problems for other people's setups?

Attachments

Reply 371 of 541, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-11-15, 19:57:

I'd like to poll everyone who is using a variant of the ps/2 circuit presented in this thread

Do you use an active KVM with it, and does it work properly? Which KVM?

I sold some boards to a friend of mine who is using a Belkin Omniview and he is reporting that it will work only briefly and then stop

The KVM I'm using is an IOGEAR GCS614A w/audio. https://www.iogear.com/datasheet/generate/GCS614A/view I haven't had any problems with it when using the keyboard controller mod method on any of the boards I've tested it with (half dozen or so?). It probably doesn't make a difference, but I'm using an inverter IC on all my mods instead of transistors.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 373 of 541, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't make one, but there may be a pencil-on-paper scanned image in this thread along with photos. 7406 was the inverter IC I used.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 374 of 541, by galanopu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great work guys!!
I might try this mod in the future too.
I just reviewed one of these M326 boards.

Let's mod everything! Check my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ6ULBqIKhxuNslAbqFNJUg
Interested in my devices? Check my store:
https://migronelectronics.bigcartel.com

Reply 375 of 541, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rio444 wrote on 2020-09-25, 17:27:

Are you certain about that? I probed this DIP24 KBC a great deal and was not able to find any evidence of ps2 mouse signals

Reply 376 of 541, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is rev 2 of the interposer board. Designed my own circuit this time using a 7406 inverter IC instead of discreet transistors.

top.png
Filename
top.png
File size
74.37 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Attachments

Reply 378 of 541, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Paar wrote on 2022-03-28, 15:36:

How high is it? Will it interfere with an ISA card?

if you build it as pictured with the socket and long headers, yes

however you can solder the KBC to the interposer and use extra short headers and solder it directly to the motherboard, making the whole stack only about 3-4mm taller than the KBC alone - which will clear the majority of cards easily

Reply 379 of 541, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In that case it could be better to place all the components on the bottom of the board to get another mm or so. Will probably need to modify it to be usable with my board. The prospect of getting native PS2 support with 486 is a strong one.