VOGONS

Too many old hard drives

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 57, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't remember ssd being a thing even then the fastest drives were those sata raptors or if you were still haning on to scsi u320 controlers with 10k drives. I ran a pair of 10k scsi drives in a raid 0 for performance up until 2012 or so. win vista needed that Intel Turbo Memory if anyone can remember that.

Reply 41 of 57, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 400gb Hitachi ATA-133 drive with a couple broken IDE pins. It had 11 reallocated sectors and that went down to 3 the last time I did a low level format on it, as well as like 6 years worth of power on hours. It's loud, it's slow, but man it just wont die.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 43 of 57, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote on 2019-09-07, 16:40:

I have around 50 old IDE hard drives. They range from 100MB to 320GB in size, most of them are 40GB or smaller. What do I do with them? I will never use so many hard drives and I don't even know when the number got so crazy. Is there a market for used IDE hard drives? I sure don't want to throw them away.

Sell them on ebay if they are good working ones.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 44 of 57, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlexZ wrote on 2021-08-18, 17:18:

Large IDE drives are very rare. Most people here had just 80GB and then switched to SATA. It's very rare to find a 250GB or more. But those 80GB are not bad at all as they work in PIII rigs, also in DOS 7.1.

Good point ! Think the big change really came about the 160GB size. My largest IDE are a few 250Gb and one 320GB and know they went to 500GB but they are not that common but can still be found 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 45 of 57, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got at least 1 of the 500GB IDE drives. I also have more than a full filing cabinet drawer full of HDDs.

I still have a couple of those IDE drive to SATA port adapters that are branded Abit. They came bundled with motherboards when SATA first came out.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 46 of 57, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have at least 100 posibly 150 IDE/PATA of various sizes ...all used of course.
Some of them are really old ..a 100mb Conner amongst them.
The older ones still appear fully funcional for the most part.
The sizes and manufacture that appeared the most unreliable to me were 160gb Samsung ...and 200 gb seagate.
but if memory serves those mostly were harvested from PVR units...so had a hard life.
rgds
VS

Reply 47 of 57, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have two 250 Gb drives somewhere, which were obtained as a bonus for other more valuable stuff. Don't see any practical reason to use them even in PS2 or Xbox, because you know - SATA-IDE adapters.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 48 of 57, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My largest IDE drives are one Seagate 750GB, one WD 500GB, and one Seagate 250GB.
For me the most valuable of these is the WD 500GB because I ended up hardly using it, so it should have basically a full life left in it still. I don't think it even reached 1K hours yet.

The 750GB was a lot more heavily used. I got it for TV recording in my nForce2 system back then. I read about problems people had with SATA on that board so I deliberately opted for the IDE version. By that time nForce2 was outdated and most newer boards probably had native SATA. The nForce2 doesn't, it's boards only get SATA by using an external PCI controller chip. IDE is integrated in the southbridge so it's preferable on those boards.

When I disconnected the 750GB IDE I think (distant memory) Windows had logged a few errors. I never observed a problem, but technically it might be starting to go a little funny.

I've thought the Seagate 750GB would be ideal to plug into my PS2 console, but that drive draws a lot of power. It got a lot of bad reviews on Newegg/etc. I think the reason mine lasted was because my PC case kept it cool with a fan.
The PS2 hard drive cage is a joke - it puts the hard drive in a box with a few tiny slits on one side (and not the other). I don't think a higher powered drive like that 750GB would live long unless I did some ugly hack to blow air through there. And then I wonder about the PS2's power supply.
Anyway, the PS2 has a 128/137GB limitation, there's some workaround but I don't know what's involved. I just stuck a 120GB in mine.
I think a SATA-IDE adapter would require using a 2.5" drive to make room for the adapter. But that's probably a good idea anyway since it also mitigates the heat/power issue.

As for SATA, I'm starting to sense that I'll be left with several extraneous 2TB drives soon. My file server holds video files on several drives using SnapRAID, but the 2TB drives are starting to get pushed out in favor of bigger ones.

Reply 49 of 57, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote on 2019-09-07, 23:10:

Yep, i'm soon going to have the same problem...

Every time i manage to get my hands on another old pc, first thing is that i remove the hdd. I just don't have the heart to run those mechanical devices just so i could joke around with the old machines... (I replace them with CF card) And so i have also a small collection of 100MB - 10GB drives... Don't really know, what should i eventually do with them.

i still use them. Why? really love it with the system is complete with a mechanical hard drive. I dont bother when do go death.. The data on it is no critical every day use.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 50 of 57, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you own some early IDE drives (1986-89) you might help by contributing research to http://www.os2museum.com/wp/identify-ancient-drive/

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 51 of 57, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
P1000724.JPG
Filename
P1000724.JPG
File size
998.93 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

TBH My collection has in it a good few ..broken hard drives with either bad blocks and sectors ...bad motors or bad drive boards.
..but I keep 'em anyway for spares or just pure sentiment.
As I've said already ..the really old ones tend to be still useable...but this makes sense as there would have less to fail...and on the whole built to a higher standard.
Here are a few pix of some of my IDE collection...at least the ones not already in use and in various built PCs...which obviously I wont be taking apart just to grab a photo.
As a rough estimate I also have 1 MFM drive.
100+3.5" PATA/IDE
50 >100 3.5" SATA
20 > SCSI 50/68 pin
200 mixed IDE and SATA 2.5" laptop drives ..some working ...many not.

Attachments

• P1000726.JPG
    Filename
    P1000726.JPG
    File size
    834.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • P1000725.JPG
    Filename
    P1000725.JPG
    File size
    817.24 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 54 of 57, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmph, this shows up again when I'm in the middle of a "so many drives but not the right one" crisis.... okay I've got ONE, but I need it for something else.

But anyway, does anyone know any good hard disk cloning software? I plug this one I want to keep into one IDE channel, run the cloning software, and when it's done, the end of the second IDE cable is still empty 🙁 ... ... 😉

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 55 of 57, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I like HDclone by Miray..
I've used it to clone Compact flash ..sata ..ide etc
It creates RAW drive images which you can then store or write back to a 2nd drive ..ie clone.
It's great for IDE ..but not had much success with early drives...where declared geometry is needed..eg ..my old conner 100mb etc..
Does software exist that can do this ?
rgds
VS

Reply 56 of 57, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote on 2021-08-24, 17:45:

This thread is still alive? Amazing! I now have even more hard drives than before 🤣 😀

..at the risk of repeating what I said earlier in the thread..
Is there such a thing as 'too many old hard drives'...🤣

Last edited by Vipersan on 2021-08-24, 20:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 57 of 57, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Vipersan wrote on 2021-08-24, 19:15:
Personally I like HDclone by Miray.. I've used it to clone Compact flash ..sata ..ide etc It creates RAW drive images which you […]
Show full quote

Personally I like HDclone by Miray..
I've used it to clone Compact flash ..sata ..ide etc
It creates RAW drive images which you can then store or write back to a 2nd drive ..ie clone.
It's great for IDE ..but not had much success with early drives...where declared geometry is needed..eg ..my old conner 100mb etc..
Does software exist that can do this ?
rgds
VS

Good old "Ghost" for DOS.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs