VOGONS

UMC8881/8886 Datasheet

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 57, by Comos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-05-12, 22:00:

This databook is for the older UMC stuff.We are talking here about the UMC chipset from the middle of the 90's.

Reply 22 of 57, by CuPid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still there are the ctchip config files that provide interesting data. Not a complete datasheet, but it seems that most populated registers are described (if this is what you are looking for).

Attachments

• Filename
    Um881.cfg
    File size
    6.03 KiB
    Downloads
    170 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I need a vacation.

tbmtg3-99.png
zav4kj-99.png

Reply 23 of 57, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2019-08-27, 20:03:

They are design books from the mid 1990's.. Like 2 dozen of them, each 500+ pages. I don't know about scanning them because they still might be under NDA or patent/proprietary information. I have them at work, but don't have any way to scan that many pages anyhow. I'll have to try to find them, in our huge library of microprocessor books.

I'm looking for that elusive datasheet too, also the UM8498/8496 among others. Please if you can get a hold of it, i'd be willing to scan it. Spent ages looking everywhere for that datasheet, from my searching it is not on the net.

===
FWIW, I have extracted the major details out of the file on bitsavers for the other UMC 486 chipsets, perhaps there are a few others:
http://66.113.161.23/~mR_Slug/chipset/chipset … 1=33131,2#29352

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 24 of 57, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't been able to find it.. we moved offices to a different building, and our engineering library of books was moved into multiple cabinets across 3 offices (each office is like 25k square feet, 2 floors).. I'll come across them sooner or later, I just don't have the time to look through the several hundred locked cabinets they could be in.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 25 of 57, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CuPid wrote on 2020-05-13, 09:18:

Still there are the ctchip config files that provide interesting data. Not a complete datasheet, but it seems that most populated registers are described (if this is what you are looking for).

Those are useful, but what would also be really nice are the pinouts.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 26 of 57, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-05-13, 12:42:

I remember I have got a schematic manual for UMC based laptop Mitac 5023. I'll upload it here.

Here it is

Attachments

• Filename
    Mitac 5026 (shorter version).zip
    File size
    426.05 KiB
    Downloads
    169 downloads
    File comment
    Mitac 5026 Service Manual
    File license
  • Filename
    Mitac 5023.rar
    File size
    1.73 MiB
    Downloads
    155 downloads
    File comment
    Mitac 5023 Service Manual
    File license

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 27 of 57, by Comos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Roman555 wrote on 2020-05-14, 11:20:

I remember I have got a schematic manual for UMC based laptop Mitac 5023. I'll upload it here.

Here it is

Thanks,
interesting is, that even it's for the Socket 5 Pentium system, the PCI/ISA Bridge is still UM8886, so atleats we have the pinout 😀
For me the most important are also the registers besides pinout, but I believe they are partly the same with it's predecessor.

Reply 29 of 57, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is nice, thänk you ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 30 of 57, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red-ray wrote on 2020-05-12, 22:00:

Well, actually that's a copy of the Bitsavers (the source of the scan) databook I linked to earlier.

wiretap wrote on 2020-05-13, 12:13:

Haven't been able to find it.. we moved offices to a different building, and our engineering library of books was moved into multiple cabinets across 3 offices (each office is like 25k square feet, 2 floors).. I'll come across them sooner or later, I just don't have the time to look through the several hundred locked cabinets they could be in.

I'm a little worried you may be our only hope. Fingers crossed that someday you have the time to locate it and then figure out how to navigate the NDA/trade secrets morass you mentioned earlier. Not a good situation to be sure, but here's hoping. 😀

In the meantime we'll hope that another databook shows up elsewhere out of the blue, but Bitsavers hasn't made any new acquisitions on that front recently either...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 32 of 57, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote on 2020-05-15, 09:34:

Yes. UMC stuff are particularly hard to find.

I'd be also interested in early ALI chipsets. The same story....

I suppose Mitac 4024 , Mitac 4023 (Chaplet Halikan NBD-486) based on ALI M1219. Is it early enough?
There were a service manual for Mitac 4024 but now it's dificult to find.
http://web.archive.org/web/20010122102100/htt … /service/Tr.htm

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 33 of 57, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Roman555 wrote on 2020-05-14, 11:20:

Here it is

tiseno100 cut out the UMC UM8886N pinouts pages from these schematics, I've attached it separately here.

Attachments

• Filename
    um8886n_pinouts_descriptions.pdf
    File size
    95 KiB
    Downloads
    153 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    um8886n.pdf
    File size
    181.06 KiB
    Downloads
    169 downloads
    File license

Stiletto

Reply 34 of 57, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great ! those may be very useful! All together makes a decent UM8886 datasheet....
Archive org has the 1990-91 UMC databook but it is not new enough....
(note: I re-added it in May because the original archive from a few years ago had issues...https://archive.org/details/umc-computer-ics- … -book-1990-1991)....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 35 of 57, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2021-08-27, 23:51:

Great ! those may be very useful! All together makes a decent UM8886 datasheet....
Archive org has the 1990-91 UMC databook but it is not new enough....
(note: I re-added it in May because the original archive from a few years ago had issues...https://archive.org/details/umc-computer-ics- … -book-1990-1991)....

Eh, still not enough for a full decent datasheet, but it's getting there. Combine that with info from PCem or 86box or their forks that they've reverse-engineered about the chipset and we may be talking...

WRT your re-addition... Cool. Definitely still something a little weird with this 1990-1991 databook scan, ex. pg. 38: https://archive.org/details/umc-computer-ics- … ge/n37/mode/2up
Feels like it may have once been hosted by Bitsavers but later rejected. I mean, who else would scan a full UMC databook? Sparingly few people out there in Internet-land doing that type of work.
[EDIT] Looks like I am wrong though, I checked Bitsavers on the Wayback Machine back to 2011-ish and it was never there...

BTW, the Mitac schematics previously added to this thread also contain pinouts and their descriptions for UMC UM8891 (UM8891N) and UM8892 (UM8892N).

Stiletto

Reply 36 of 57, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found that doc long ago and re-found it in May after reading it was removed from Archive .org while digging thru other archives for ITE docs.
Unfortunately I did not save the location where I found it but think it was from a University linked thru one of UMC's subsideraries.
All I saved with it was a text with this:
"United Microelectronics Corporation, Taiwan. http://www.umc.com.tw/ http://www.umc.com (after 2000) http://www.umcgroup.com/
note: 1996: Spun off its IC design units to establish MediaTek, Novatek, ITE Technology, https://www.ite.com.tw/ Faraday Technology, AMIC Technology, and Davicom
"ITE’s strategy of developing partnerships with industry leaders led to its acquisition of the Computer Products Division of Taiwan-based United Microelectronics Corporation (UMC) in 1996."
And a few archive.org links to nothing special but there could have been other UMC docs at that site too:(

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 37 of 57, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2021-08-28, 21:05:

I found that doc long ago and re-found it in May after reading it was removed from Archive .org while digging thru other archives for ITE docs.
Unfortunately I did not save the location where I found it

I figured out where it originated, more or less. I shouldn't really link to either site though...

Stiletto

Reply 38 of 57, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote on 2021-08-30, 03:23:
Horun wrote on 2021-08-28, 21:05:

Unfortunately I did not save the location where I found it

I figured out where it originated, more or less. I shouldn't really link to either site though...

Yeah if it has three unrelated numbers as part of the file name then maybe that is where I re-found it ;p

Reply 39 of 57, by pc2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I took a time to map most of the pins of UM8881F ETA to its peripheries.

A recheck for CPU control signals and specially for cache would be appreciated (my board ATC-1415 has only one cache bank so I could not find control signals for the second one, also it has only 2 SIMM slots). Some CPU signals are routed through jumpers, so I could miss few.

There is also possibility of a separate cache dirty bit (8+1 configuration), but I didn't see any board (on retroweb) with separated dirty and tag chips. It could be routed to cache on stick used by pcchips boards.

Exact signal mapping for tag cache data (especially dirty bit) could be probably measured by disabling CPU cache and reading/writing a memory address pattern. But from hardware point it doesn't matter which bit is routed to which data pin of SRAM chip.

Pins 21 and 22 seems to be connected backwards to TAG cache on my board.

If you use 486-/PODP-Pinout and Differences as 486 pinout source, careful I think A16 and A13 are swapped there.

ad mitac schematics: Funny how UMC later reused the same architecture for UM891N, but as pentium 1 has 64bit data bus, they had to exclude the data pins to a new chip 😁 (the rest of the signals seems to be almost identical). Gonna update the names in my datasheet to match the namespace used in mitac schematics later.

Attachments