VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

I've an Asrock G41C-GS Rev2.01 with G41 chipset and a Nuvoton NCT6776F sensor chip. Today I found a new case full atx to try again a CoolerMaster Lite 120 liquid cooling system I almost never used and I thought it might improve temps on this even if the Core2 Duo E8600@3,33Ghz never reached very high temps. But strangely even if I followed all the steps, cleaning cpu and the cooler metal, using the thermal paste and connecting both the fan connectors, temperatures seems higher than with the air default cooler. I'm not entirely sure about the sensor chip really being accurate but easily pass from 57°C to 45°C and the opposite in a second and I've read max temps of 69°C. Could it be that the original fan cooler also dissipated heat from the VRM around and the chipset heatsink and those without the cpu fan might increase temps? The cooler seems working, you can feel the liquid into the system running.
The four screws are fixed until and I used a screwdriver even if I think it might be too much thight on the cpu socket.. should I only fix them with hands and not the screwdriver?
The rpm of the cooler are around 1500rpm for the cpu pump and 2200rpm for the radiator fan.
Any opinions?
Thanks

Reply 1 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Put the old cooler back on it it is more efficient.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

🙁.. it looked so good to use instead of those awful default coolers.. Also at the end the noise from the cooler pump seems higher than the cpu old fan.. I think I will go back to to the original.. I don't know if to try another thermal paste and see how it performs. In idle the temps reach 39/41°C but in seconds it goes up and down really so fast I can't say how this thing work. Usually I see these modern configs in shops so silent for much more powerful cpus and this one work that bad? It's almost brand new. The pump "fan" connector is attached to the CPU 3pin one while the radiator fan connector to the 4pin of the system fan.

Reply 3 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The reason the cooler pumps seem quieter in the shop is because background noise is covering most of it up.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 9, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386SX wrote on 2021-09-01, 19:46:

In idle the temps reach 39/41°C but in seconds it goes up and down really so fast I can't say how this thing work.

Would your OS let you run something like HWiNFO? It lets you enable a graph for any measurement or temperature, so maybe you could find something anomalous there. A water loop should have more total thermal capacity than an air cooler, so I would expect to see the CPU temperature smoothly ramp up and down if the sensor was working correctly.

https://www.hwinfo.com/

Last edited by Cosmic on 2021-09-01, 20:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds to me like either too much liquid has evaporated out of the Coolermaster cooler or something like the radiator or waterblock is partially clogged.. Or the pump is not working properly.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I put temporary back the original cooler and temps are lower for sure.. 38°C right now without many peaks.. I think there's something wrong there but I was thinking if the cpu sensor might suffer from the lack of air in the close area considering there's no fan but the PSU one taking the few air that put outside on the back of the case. But the area around the cpu I suppose might benefit from the original air cooler.
It also might be the cooler damaged but really I've used it a couple of times and no more and looks just like I bought it. I was reading some comments about this model and some not really happy at all..

Reply 7 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some photo of the build beside the liquid cooling failure.. I wanted to buy today a GT710 PCIe today but having the GT610 it wasn't a good idea so I think I'll boost it with a GT1030 but in future.. for now it has 8GB DDR3@1333, SSD and the Xonar D1 sound card connected to a old still working home theatre audio amplificator. Too bad the vga heatsink (Point of View brand) block the PCIe x1 bus I could use a USB3.0 adapter into it.. I suppose I might go for the Q9650 one day on air cooling... I was always right of not wanting any of these liquid cooling system. 😉
That vga on the GF119 chip @40nm really need an active cooler on it, even after changing the thermal paste the temps are always above 50°C and goes up fast and too much without a case fan on it. That's why the GT710 chip @28nm might have been a cooler solution but still quite limited even on such old config. The right card for this would really be the GT1030 GDDR5 maybe single slot.

Attachments

• Core2_E8600_GT610.jpg
    Filename
    Core2_E8600_GT610.jpg
    File size
    87.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 9, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a nice system. A Q9650 would be a great upgrade, they're pretty inexpensive too, looks like around ~$50 USD right now. I have one right next to me and it runs cool at stock frequency. 4 physical cores at 3.00 GHz is pretty solid given its launch date (Q3 2008).

The GT 1030 is a good idea too, I thought about getting one for my Q6600 box. When the Q6600 was my main machine I had a 560 Ti in there and it was a full size, two slot, beefy card with dual GPU fans. The GT 1030 is only 18% behind it on UserBenchmarks, and you can get them with a passive heatsink! Talk about 6 years of GPU development.

Reply 9 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, even if I think the Coolermaster Masterwatt 500W might be a bit stressed but beside being low end I've seen some videos that show it has realistic specs even if the inside of the PSU PCB is quite basic. Today I was reading in the shops the specs of the FSP Hyper 500W and the Corsair CV550 Bronze or also the Coolermaster Elite v3 500W as a possible new replacement. The PSU I have (beside many old P4 oriented Enermax PSU) already is working since probably few years even if capacitors are still all goods. This system in idle stay @60W and goes to 120W or more but with this vga power demand is still low as it would be with the GT1030. 😉
I also have a couple of Q6600 cpu but I preferred the SSE4.1 capable E8600 that should be faster on a single core basis and much less power demanding. The Q9650 would really be the right upgrade anyway. Still the E8600 is really a good cpu even nowdays for an everyday machine.