VOGONS

Ultimate Dual Pentium II@333mhz

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 72, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, I moved the jumper J7E1 back to 1-2 pins and the CPU is recognized correctly now.
But it boots a black screen with the numbers “04”
And it beeps 5 times and halts.
Keyboard still does not work.
I have a diagnostic card hooked up too.

Attachments

Reply 61 of 72, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If that's 04h, that would be the POST routine code for 'Get CPU Type', which would be 5 beeps (1-1-2-1) - is that how it sounds to you? The diagnostics card seems to be 4Ch tho, for 'Shadow video BIOS ROM'???

In terms of the keyboard, despite what the manual might imply, apparently if you only have a keyboard connected it must go in the lower PS/2 port

Intel® DK440LX Motherboard: Keyboard Lockups - https://web.archive.org/web/20030220113839/ht … lx/keyboard.htm

Reply 62 of 72, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-09-04, 08:14:

If that's 04h, that would be the POST routine code for 'Get CPU Type', which would be 5 beeps (1-1-2-1) - is that how it sounds to you? The diagnostics card seems to be 4Ch tho, for 'Shadow video BIOS ROM'???

Yes, I think that’s it.
What do I have to do to fix this ?

Reply 64 of 72, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-04, 20:41:

So is this motherboard toast ?

Only if you put it in a toasty pie oven........

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 65 of 72, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Look at your date codes, take the earliest PII you've got, blow on it like a nintendo cartridge, ram it in the slot like you're trying to install it in the motherboard underneath and try again.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 66 of 72, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-04, 21:33:

Look at your date codes, take the earliest PII you've got, blow on it like a nintendo cartridge, ram it in the slot like you're trying to install it in the motherboard underneath and try again.

Yeah, I tried different CPU’s already.
With NO success.
The keyboard PS/2 ports don’t appear to be working.
So I don’t have anyway to access the bios.
Unable to boot off any device because the motherboard is NOT working.
It sees my drives but will not boot from them.
It just boots to this Black screen with error code “04”

Reply 67 of 72, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You will need to diagnose the PS/2 ports.

It is possible that the support circuitry for those ports is broken.

If you haven't already, get some contact cleaner and run it through both CPU ports and the PS/2 keyboard ports. Then if still no PS/2 keyboard, you will need to break out the multimeter, and test the data and clock lines on the PS/2 line for shorts in the resistors or capacitors that filter the dataline before it is sent to the KBD controller (inside the chipset)

Reply 68 of 72, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
canthearu wrote on 2021-09-05, 00:09:

You will need to diagnose the PS/2 ports.

It is possible that the support circuitry for those ports is broken.

If you haven't already, get some contact cleaner and run it through both CPU ports and the PS/2 keyboard ports. Then if still no PS/2 keyboard, you will need to break out the multimeter, and test the data and clock lines on the PS/2 line for shorts in the resistors or capacitors that filter the dataline before it is sent to the KBD controller (inside the chipset)

Agree ! If it was not already mounted in a case (typical mistake of people in a rush to get things working) would check the solder pads on bottom of motherboard under the PS2 sockets. Could be cold solder or bad connections.
Also you may have noticed this in the manual: 1.9.4 Keyboard and Mouse Interface
PS/2 keyboard and mouse connectors are located on the back panel. The 5 V lines to these connectors are protected with a PolySwitch† circuit that, like a self-healing fuse, reestablishes the connection after an over-current condition is removed.

I suggest checking the 5v at the Ps2 port not being used with the keyboard when it is on, to see if it really is getting 4.9-5.1v. It is possible that "Polyswitch" did not properly re-heal so the KB volts are too low.
Just a thought....
Also: what exact PS2 keyboards are you using ? As PC Hoarder pointed out there are known KB issues. The AMI Megakey came out about 1992/1993 so try a KB that is from mid 1990's.
Some of the newer ones from the 2000's (like Dell and HP) probably will not work no matter what.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 69 of 72, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I received an ABIT board a few years ago which was fully functional except for the keyboard PS/2 port. USB keyboard was OK.

However, after a few hours of use the board died completely. The previous owner probably damaged it with overclocking.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 71 of 72, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Might help but I have my doubts (do the memory slots while you're at it)

You never really said if this was a recent purchase or an old board you've had working in the past.

We're not even sure if it's a retail or OEM board (at the very least, both Gateway & Mitsubishi/Apricot had systems using it) or what BIOS revision you're currently running. Probably still worth another shot at a 'back to basics' methodical test plan - do a complete system CMOS reset / yank the battery for a few hours, then get the earliest stepping 66Mhz PII 233-300 you have with single sticks of 66MHz SDRAM / 60ns EDO memory (unbuffered ECC / non-ECC) 128MB or less, a basic PCI & AGP card and as many PS/2 keyboards as you have and just walk thru each combination and note the results (not forgetting to test each memory bank from 0 to 3 separately with each combo).

As a last resort, maybe try a forced BIOS recovery from floppy using the J7E1 jumper again - you have an available choice of Gateway P09, Intel P10 & Mitsubishi/Apricot P10 (think they're just using the Intel retail one)

Any or all of the above may work, may not - depends on how much effort you want to put in to solve, or at least better identify, the problem.

Reply 72 of 72, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I had to call it quits on this build. I just could not get the motherboard to post and keyboard would not work.
I was locked out..

I have not had a bad motherboard like this ever.
I feel defeated but time to move on to the next build.
I am not going to let this bad motherboard get me down. 🙁