Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 561 of 749, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-09-06, 13:01:

I literally just had to watch a YouTube video on how to remove a Slot 1 CPU.

Some boards have impossible to fathom mechanisms for these..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 564 of 749, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Creative's AWE32 cards have cheap SIMM sockets on them with plastic retaining clips, not metal.
Knowing this, I tried to very carefully remove a pair of 30pin SIMMs from a CT3990.
I still broke one of the sockets.

Reply 565 of 749, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Once apon a time I use to love MircoSoft software products.....

Now shoot me .....😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 566 of 749, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just fried a Power Man FSP250 -60GTA PSU because I accidentally forgot to set it to 230V before plugging it in...

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 567 of 749, by KvynB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a 230W PSU and I undervolted it to 115W intentionally and the pc *boom* it blasted like a Dynamite. I still remember that day.

Core 2 Quad Q6600,Nvidia Geforce GT 730 4GB DDR3 Zone Edition, 4GB DDR2 800MHz, WD 320 GB HDD

Reply 568 of 749, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KvynB wrote on 2021-09-08, 05:14:

I had a 230W PSU and I undervolted it to 115W intentionally and the pc *boom* it blasted like a Dynamite. I still remember that day.

same, but... unintentionally? i guess? I was looking for a volume knob like on some soundblasters, but found a switch instead and thought "wonder what this controls"?

this was also the start of never being able to be trusted with anything in the house ever again. when our next pc's hard disk died i got the blame. that sucked. i just wanted to play duke3d!!!

Reply 569 of 749, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Correct the units before somebody sees it ;P

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 571 of 749, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2021-09-08, 09:05:

Correct the units before somebody sees it ;P

I assumed KvynB might have been speaking German as in "BMW" yet s/he wrote "undervolted" correctly. 😉 Not to mention that cricket games are not easily understandable outside the Commonwealth.

Reply 572 of 749, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I confess, I hate all Voodoo 1+2 cards because of the notorious Loop-cable that always caused a unbearable moiré on CRT, no matter how expensive, extra shielded cables you bought.
(... was so happy when the Voodoo 3 came out)

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 574 of 749, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DJMadMax wrote on 2021-09-08, 12:10:

In my first computer which I actually bought with my own money I chose to have an AMD K5PR-166 and at the time I thought it was fast.

Because it was. Plus it was cool not being an intel. Plus now it's even cooler being first and last CPU developed entirely by AMD. I bought K5 PR133 and never looked back or regreted I didn't bought Pentium 133.

I own several K5 PR133s and PR166s... still looking for PR200.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 575 of 749, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DJMadMax wrote on 2021-09-08, 12:10:

In my first computer which I actually bought with my own money I chose to have an AMD K5PR-166 and at the time I thought it was fast.

That's not a huge mistake, since they were probably priced at about the going rate for a P100, which at 116Mhz they just about matched in FPU, but had integer performance more like a P150. So for the money they were fast. That's why I liked the 6x86 PR166 back in the day too, yeah, it wasn't as fast as a P133 in FPU, but it just eased out a P100 which cost the same and blew it away in integer. To compare either of them to a Pentium 166, you gotta assume you had double or triple the money to spend on a CPU or the foresight to wait a couple of months then you were buying K6-200 or 6x86 PR233 for the same money. We do a lot of comparing per clock performance now, but it was per dollar performance that AMD and Cyrix were kings of for over a decade.

Attachments

• Aug1997.jpg
    Filename
    Aug1997.jpg
    File size
    40.58 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    August 1997 prices from PC Mag
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 576 of 749, by zandengoff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-11-06, 19:24:

I have always hated Apple my whole life, but I recently purchased a NIB dual CPU G4, and a Mac Mini G4 that runs MorphOS. Still looking to get a Quadra because Jurassic Park, and maybe a Color Classic or NeXT. I mainly just like them for the Motorola 680x0 CPU or PowerPC architecture, but I still loathe Mac OS and the company practices overall, and Steve Jobs as a person.

Hello fellow MorphOS user! There are dozens of us! Have a Powerbook G4 with a MorphOS and Tiger (with classic partition) dual boot. Three OSs in one machine. Has been very fun to mess with.

For my confession,

I have no nostalgia for Hard Drives. They are slow, loud, and die in spades. Every machine I have regardless of age runs on flash memory.
Any decent IPS panel looks better than most CRTs and all TFT flat panels.
I know DOS commands well, I have a DOS PC, but at the end of the day DOS is too much trouble for gaming. DOSBox is more than capable enough.

Reply 577 of 749, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Way back in 2000, I built a PC for the very first time. It had a 600MHz PIII, GeForce 256, and ran the hot new Windows 2000. It made me very happy.

The thing is, I unwittingly ran it at 400MHz for a few months! But even at the reduced speed, that P-frickin-III with its 128MB of RAM and broadband internet connection absolutely blew the doors off my old Pentium laptop, so I just assumed that everything was fine and dandy. It wasn't until I bought a fancy new LCD monitor that switched on fast enough to display the POST info (unlike my old CRT) that I finally realized: mistakes were made. Should've read the motherboard manual!

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 578 of 749, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2021-09-09, 03:13:

Way back in 2000, I built a PC for the very first time. It had a 600MHz PIII, GeForce 256, and ran the hot new Windows 2000. It made me very happy.

The thing is, I unwittingly ran it at 400MHz for a few months! But even at the reduced speed, that P-frickin-III with its 128MB of RAM and broadband internet connection absolutely blew the doors off my old Pentium laptop, so I just assumed that everything was fine and dandy. It wasn't until I bought a fancy new LCD monitor that switched on fast enough to display the POST info (unlike my old CRT) that I finally realized: mistakes were made. Should've read the motherboard manual!

that's funny and shows the huge performance jumps we had at the time, such that even with that cpu set low it was still a huge jump

for nostalgia's sake i hope you still have that pc, or some components from it, the cpu anyway! 😀

Reply 579 of 749, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-08, 14:16:

That's not a huge mistake, since they were probably priced at about the going rate for a P100, which at 116Mhz they just about matched in FPU, but had integer performance more like a P150. So for the money they were fast. That's why I liked the 6x86 PR166 back in the day too, yeah, it wasn't as fast as a P133 in FPU, but it just eased out a P100 which cost the same and blew it away in integer. To compare either of them to a Pentium 166, you gotta assume you had double or triple the money to spend on a CPU or the foresight to wait a couple of months then you were buying K6-200 or 6x86 PR233 for the same money. We do a lot of comparing per clock performance now, but it was per dollar performance that AMD and Cyrix were kings of for over a decade.

True. Clock for clock K5 was significantly faster than Pentium. Also I find it funny that people are all excited about NexGen CPUs when they find one, while K5 works pretty much just like NexGen (internally it's RISC with microcode which translates CISC x86 instructions).

I8v8PGb.jpg