VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Elektron

User metadata

When overclocking DOSBox, is the number of cycles measured in hertz, or kilohertz. I want to emualate Dos at minimum 33 million hertz (33 megahertz) and it would take way too long to click ctrl+command+f12 that many times.

Reply 1 of 6, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not measured in anything comparable to real computers. Emulation counts cycles (i.e., instructions per msec) much differently than real CPUs do. Your target should be somewhere between 10000 and 25000 cycles, but that varies with different games depending on what instructions they use. These numbers are simply a value from my own experience, there's nothing calculated.

Reply 2 of 6, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1000 dosbox cycles seems roughly equivalent to 3-6Mhz on a 486DX, as a very general rule, but like Moe says it depends a lot on what you're running. It is possible for emulators to work on a clock rate (Mhz) basis rather than number of instructions/second but it makes emulation slower and more complicated, so DosBox doesn't do this (afaik).

Reply 3 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Is there any way to practically benchmark DosBox performance?

I ask this because increasing cycles always fools the application that's run in DosBox that it's running faster, even if it's not.

I'd be interested to know if there's objective, measured, way of doing this instead of by 'hmm..this seems a bit slower, perhaps I'll drop the cycles by 100'-gut feeling.

Reply 4 of 6, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can try good old Norton SI. Older versions measured speed relative to XT. 1000 cycles gets me 8.2 XTs on my system. IIRC, my 486DX/33 was ~32 XTs, I need around 4000 cycles to get that. My system is AMD64 3500+ somewhat slowed down by non-optimal RAM config.

Reply 6 of 6, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, if that's all you want: Turn them up until your sound gets choppy. Then turn cycles down a little bit until sound is OK again. That's the optimal setting. Different games have different settings!

By the way: Too high cycles will never harm your computer, it just means that DOSBox will run slower and with choppy sound.