First post, by afshin6760
- Rank
- Newbie
Hi
I just built an RTX 4060 PC. I don't have an LCD yet (Because I had a laptop before(768p tn panel)), so I'm using an entry-level 17" CRT (Samsung SyncMaster dfx 1756 (model: 753s), 72kHz max) via motherboard iGPU Passthrough.
I love the motion clarity, but running high resolutions in Interlaced modes (1440x1080i 120hz) gives me some Moiré and focus issues (Not a serious problem, but the image is not that clear.), no matter how much I tweak CRU and Moiré settings on OSD.
Since I can't compare it side-by-side with a modern display, I need an honest, non-romanticized reality check:
1.Is this Moiré mess just the limitation of a budget Shadow Mask tube?
2.Would upgrading to an LG Flatron F700P (17" Slot Mask, 98kHz) fix the focus/Moiré at higher resolutions?
3.Or should I just give up on CRT for modern gaming and buy a 1080p IPS panel? (Or maybe a dual setup: budget IPS + F700P?)
Do modern games just look inherently sharper, clearer, and more coherent on a native digital IPS compared to a 17" CRT?
Thanks
edit : The red image is 1152x864p 77hz
the green image is 1440x1080i 120hz
and I think 1152x864p gives a more accurate image, especially in text.
Second edit: I went to play with the same 1152x864p 77hz mode and felt that it wasn't really smooth. I went back to the same 1440x1080i 120hz. I don't know. I'm not really sure if an IPS in a 90fps game gave me the same feeling or not.
Third edit: I bought a 24-inch 1080p IPS monitor (Xiaomi G24i) and I regret it.
Not because of contrast or motion clarity, since I already knew CRTs were better in that regard.
Rather, it is because even with a static image, a lower-resolution CRT monitor still delivers a cleaner and sharper image—especially with text.
Final result: Even a low-end CRT monitor—provided its focus screws are properly adjusted (something I had previously done with my own monitor)—produces an image that is sharper and clearer than that of a matte 1080p IPS display, contrary to popular belief.
In my opinion, only a full-glossy LCD with good contrast and a solid pixel layout can beat the clarity of a CRT; this doesn't really have much to do with PPI or high resolution. Of course, finding such a display is nearly impossible unless you pay a premium or track down older LCD models that featured this type of screen (the NEC MultiSync 20WGX2 Or even your mobile phone is a prime example). Alternatively, you might have to take matters into your own hands and remove the monitor's matte coating—provided the specific model allows for it.
Bonus tip: Turning off Windows ClearType made the text on the CRT even sharper.