VOGONS


First post, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

When Windows loads, it complains about my graphics card.

I've run several versions of the Nvidia's driver installer, but that may not be the issue.

I think the problem may be VIA's "AGP Bridge", for which I've also run a few versions of their installers.

Alternatively, it could be the fact that the driver files in the card's Properties window say that "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vmm32.vxd (vdd.vxd)" have no provider, file version, nor copyright information.

Might anyone here have some insight to this problem?

I'm running a PCPartner MVP3BS7-954 motherboard, if that helps.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pcpart … 4-35-8954-00-00

Reply 1 of 8, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you installed first via 4-in-1 driver version 3.xx?
And directX redist around 7-8.1.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Audigy 4 SB0610
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value SB0400
Gigabyte Ga-k8n51gmf, Turion64 ML-30@2.2GHz , Radeon X800GTO PL16, Diamond monster sound MX300

Reply 2 of 8, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
shevalier wrote on 2026-08-24, 08:58:

Did you installed first via 4-in-1 driver version 3.xx?
And directX redist around 7-8.1.

No...

I tried DirectX 7, and there was no change.

I'm also not seeing a source for version 3 of Via's 4-in-1 package.

Edit:

I tried the old drivers that came on the motherboard's disc.
They aren't 4-in-1 version 3, but they aren't helping either.

There must be something else I'm missing.

Edit 2:

I tired using an Nvidia Riva TNT2/M64 card, and it's getting the same problem.

The issue must be on the motherboard side.

Reply 3 of 8, by FullYes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

AGP is moreorless broken on socket 7. A voodoo3 would give you the least amount of trouble I suspect. Does the card still work, have you tried a benchmark? have you had a look at/tested the drivers with dxdiag?

Are there any IRQ conflicts? Does an IRQ get assigned to the card or not? (try changing Assign IRQ to PCI-VGA in BIOS) and have a look at the card's properties (Resource allocations) in device manager

System 1: K6-3+ 600MHz! MS-5158 (430TX), Voodoo3, AWE64
System 2: Athlon XP-M 2800+ SL-75KAV (KT133A) FX5200
System 3: 775i65g (work in progress) FX5900XT
System 4: i7-2600k, P8P67-M, GTX 460

Reply 4 of 8, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not much of a fan or expert when it comes to the Super Socket 7 platform. I just happened to end up with one—the same PC Partner board on a VIA MVP3.
My MX440 only started working on the fifth try by brute-force trial and error with different drivers.
Meanwhile, drivers for the GF5200 or Radeon 9100 wouldn't install properly—AGP texturing just refused to turn on.
As far as I can see, some people get it running on the first try. For all other cases, you need Voodoo magic.
Cheap VIA chipset motherboards are a total crapshoot.🙁

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Audigy 4 SB0610
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value SB0400
Gigabyte Ga-k8n51gmf, Turion64 ML-30@2.2GHz , Radeon X800GTO PL16, Diamond monster sound MX300

Reply 5 of 8, by such

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

FWIW I've also had issues with VIA chipset drivers, specifically related to the AGP bridge. Eventually switched to something else and that solved it, in a manner of speaking.

Reply 6 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hitting the AGP slot with some contact cleaner might help, can't hurt. If there is a setting for AGP speed in the CMOS settings, try 1x. Have you tried manually updating the card's driver from Device Manager?

A lot of times when you first start out on a project you think, This is never going to be finished. But then it is, and you think, Wow, it wasn't even worth it. - Jack Handey

Reply 7 of 8, by Mike_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

How about reducing speed or disabling various AGP features with RivaTuner, unless there are BIOS settings for them of course? I got AGP 4x to work on my KT133A board by disabling sideband addressing.

Reply 8 of 8, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I think I solved it!

Something in Nvidia's setup program messes it up, but updating the video driver from Device Manager works.

What I did:

  • After Windows reboots with its own drivers configured, resolve any PCI IRQ conflicts.
  • Install VIA's AGP driver before any others, then reboot.
  • Update the video card's driver from the files in the nvidia_9x_5.32 setup folder from Phil's Computer Lab, DO NOT RUN THE SETUP PROGRAM.

After this, Windows will recognize the video card properly without complaining, and allow True Color mode and higher resolutions.