VOGONS

Dosbox with Gilde2x.ovl

Topic actions

First post, by duck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've downloaded in Dauns Cafe a CVS wih glide support and the glide2x.ovl.

There was a discription for using. I followed all three stepps but it wont run.

Does anyone have some experience with this Addon?

Reply 1 of 84, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Last time I tried it DosBox Glide only supported Tomb Raider.

What game are you trying to run?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 84, by duck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i try'd it for Schleichfahrt (Archymedian Dynasty).
Since i have XP i tryed to run Schleichfahrt.
With the new cvs it runs with dosbox (incl. directx-patch) in good performance.

Now im looking for a posability to run it with glide.

Reply 3 of 84, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I don't have this game it is quite possible it does not work (I developed the glide patch). I have only tested it with a few games: Tomb Rider, GTA, RedGuard and Descent.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 4 of 84, by duck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hallo Gulikoza,

i found this in Daum Cafe.
3) Then copy glide2x.ovl into your game directory.

PS: Thx for the direct3d Support.

Reply 5 of 84, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After seeing this thread I decided to give Redguard another go with the latest ykhwong release of DOSBox which supports Glide, and the game is almost playable! 😳 Huge speed improvement from the last time I tried it back in february, which is totally awesome 😎

Reply 6 of 84, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Go to http://www.falconfly.de/reference.htm and download '3dfx Glide2 & Glide3 Diagnostics Kit'. Decompress the archive and in the 3dfx\Sdk\Glide2x\Bin\DOS\ subdirectory you will find 33 test programs which should work inside dosbox. If they work ok, but Archymedian Dynasty does not, then the game is not supported at the moment. No, my builds do not support glide at this time.

@Freddo: try using glide2x.dll from psvoodoo instead of the one provided. If it works it is probably even faster (d3d based wrappers can use direct framebuffer locking, opengl (openglide) does not allow this and so the framebuffer must be copied).

Reply 10 of 84, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got it to work, and I must say its not bad. With it, Tomb Raider is fluid at 25,000 cycles when in software mode it was choppy regardless of setting. Now, allow fullscreen, get rid of the white lines and Glidos will have a run for its money.

Reply 11 of 84, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

SCREENSHOTS!!! 😀
would be nice.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 84, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

thanks, nice to see.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 84, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

gulikoza: Archimedean Dynasty's long been a bane of the Glide wrapper types, I believe. I do have it here; would it be of assistance if i sent it to you for testing (I would like it back, like 😀?

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 15 of 84, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think one of my friends has it, I'll check with him. But in any case at least one of the wrappers has to support it - dosbox patch only forwards glide calls to the wrapper, it does not emulate glide.

Reply 17 of 84, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gulikoza wrote:

@Freddo: try using glide2x.dll from psvoodoo instead of the one provided. If it works it is probably even faster (d3d based wrappers can use direct framebuffer locking, opengl (openglide) does not allow this and so the framebuffer must be copied).

Thanks for the info 😀

I tried it and didn't notice much of a framerate difference during actual gameplay, but the loading times did improve for some reason. Which is very nice 😎 Unfortunally, psvoodoo seem to have 3 problems with Redguard so far together with the CVS build of ykhwong. 1) Forced to play the game in fullscreen. 2) The pre-rendered movie sequences doesn't seem to work (they are all black). 3) The DOSBox title menu bar is flashing while playing in fullscreen. None of them are really big issues, tho.

The openglide glide2x.dll isn't perfect for Redguard either, as the Redguard menu screen is a little wonky, but I think I would prefer this for the moment.

Still, I'm happy and it's quite marvelous I can play it at all in DOSBox 😁

Reply 18 of 84, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

dosbox patch only forwards glide calls to the wrapper, it does not emulate glide.

I was thinking about that the other day. Should DosBox emulate glide itself without an external wrapper? Is it legal to do so? Obviously games would be unplayable for quite awhile,,,,

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 84, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

dosbox patch only forwards glide calls to the wrapper, it does not emulate glide.

I was thinking about that the other day. Should DosBox emulate glide itself without an external wrapper? Is it legal to do so? Obviously games would be unplayable for quite awhile,,,,

I think it would be better if DOSBox emulated the Voodoo2 hardware instead of just forward calls. But as you said, that would make Glide games quite unplayable for some time.