Clipper executable crashing DosBox

Developer's Forum, for discussion of bugs, code, and other developmental aspects of DOSBox.

Clipper executable crashing DosBox

Postby libit » 2006-11-02 @ 20:24

I've an old dos application which seems to be written in clipper and which perfecly works under DOS (obviously), win95 to winxp, bochs, vmware but fails under dosbox.
As soon as you start the program it should display the following screen

Code: Select all
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦+------------------------------------------------------------+¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦                                         +--------------+   Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     Â¦  G estione   Â¦   Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦        ¦¦¦    ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦   Â¦Â¦Â¦     Â¦  A automatica¦   Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦        ¦¦¦    ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦   Â¦Â¦Â¦     Â¦  P resenze   Â¦   Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     +--------------¦   Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦¦    ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦           Â¦  G estione   Â¦   Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦   Â¦Â¦Â¦  ¦¦¦    ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦           Â¦  A ccessi    ¦   Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦¦    ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦           Â¦  P resenze   Â¦   Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦                                         +--------------+   Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦  +-----------------------------------------------------+   Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦    D a t a   S e r v i c e s   S.r.l.   (Treviso)   Â¦   Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦  +-----------------------------------------------------+   Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦Â¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦+------------------------------------------------------------+¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦          *** DEFINIZIONE PARAMETRI DI DEFAULT ***          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦Path programmi ......: C:\GAP\                              ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦Azienda di default ..:      0                               ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦Stampante di default :  1                                   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦

After this screen the program opens several db files etc but, under dosbox, it actually crashes before this opening screen. With "crash", I mean that it just hangs and cannot be interrupted with ctrl-c. Since the exe is 1.2MB, (which is more than DOS could handle) it must use some kind of overlay mechanism and that might be what is failing.

Do you have any advice to make this work under dosbox?

Note that the required max number of open files for this app is 60 and I have configured the clipper variable (Set CLIPPER=F60) in dosbox.conf. Files=60 should not be necessary as dosbox default should be 100. Anyway the program crashes immediately, before opening that many files.

If you want to test, I've attached the exe. The full program would require many more files, but to see it crash (or to get to the opening screen, when it works), the exe is enough.
Code: Select all
Attachments
gap.zip
crashing exe
(512.67 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
libit

Re: Clipper executable crashing DosBox

Postby wd » 2006-11-02 @ 20:41

Clipper programs require some additional segment check during startup,
it should work in the next version but you'll HAVE to manually select
the normal core.
wd
DOSBox Author

Postby libit » 2006-11-03 @ 09:42

Great,so there is hope! But can you explain a bit more, please.
Should the current version in CVS work already?
What do you mean with "manually select normal core" ????

Is this an issue with the CPU emulatorin or BIOS? I think it's not the "empedded" DOS since I tried booting a normal dos from floppy
libit

Postby h-a-l-9000 » 2006-11-03 @ 09:46

segment check is an issue with the emulated CPU.

The CVS changelog says:

2006-10-27 14:01 qbix79
* src/cpu/: core_normal.cpp, core_simple.cpp,
core_normal/prefix_none.h: Add Beta1 patch: "Add very basic
Clipper support." by wd.
1+1=10
h-a-l-9000
DOSBox Author

Postby libit » 2006-11-03 @ 10:07

So it's already in the cvs (thanks to wd) :happy:
Would it be easy for you to send me a win32 build of the current cvs so that I can try it? (or I could try to build it myself - are there any instructions for win32 building?)
Thanks
libit

Postby rcblanke » 2006-11-03 @ 10:10

@libit: You can download a recent CVS build here http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/blankendaalr/dbgl/
rcblanke
Oldbie

Postby libit » 2006-11-03 @ 10:24

Wonderful. The 29-oct-2006 build works for me!
libit

Postby libit » 2006-11-04 @ 05:33

Unfortunaley I didn't notice that printing doesn't work. I'd be happy enough if data sent to lpt1 inside dosbox would just be forwarded to the lpt1 device of the host windows machine, but this doesn't seem to be possible. And the "virtual printer" of this interim build doesn't seem to work (never creates the output file, regardless of the choosen format: jpg, ps, png, printer...)
libit

Return to DOSBox Development