VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In considering the Windows PC, you have to balance speed with compatibility. Some games don't like high speeds, other games use Glide.

Here is my perfect Windows 9x PC
Pentium III EB 1000MHz/133FSB
512MB PC133 SDRAM
ASUS P3B-F w/2xISA
Geforce2 Ultra 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D
3Com 10/100 NIC
Sound Blaster Audigy
Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 + Yamaha DB-50XG
Sound Blaster 16 ASP CT-1740
Roland SCM-15AT (MPU-401AT + SCB-55)
Western Digital Caviar SE 120GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
ASUS 5232A CD-RW Drive (52x32x52)

Explanation of choices:
CPU - This is the fastest and stable PIII you can put into a BX motherboard. If can manage an extreme underclock, you can knock it down to a blazing 133MHz! (2.0 x 66MHz)
RAM - Windows 9x doesn't work well with more, and you can fill all slots with 4x128 DIMMs
MB - The P3B-F offers one major advantage over the P2B models, a jumperless motherboard. It can probably support later PIIIs better than the older boards as well. This is vital for underclocking the CPU. Older boards have 2 ISA slots, newer boards only 1 ISA slot.
AGP Video - The Geforce 2 cards are the least advanced Geforce cards that support the last Detonator drivers for Win9x. These cards should be fast enough for most DirectX 7 titles. They also should be the last Geforce cards with good VESA support (no 15 or 24bpp modes.) Should be able to work with an overclocked AGP bus. (89MHz v. 66 MHz) I recommend one with a DVI connector.
PCI Video - The old standby Voodoo 1 is present for those difficult early Voodoo games. I am on the fence, however, about recommending a Voodoo 2 instead.
NIC - For when you need to connect to the Internet. Still trying to figure out how to network with an XP machine.
PCI Audio 1 - Sound Blaster Audigy - The last Sound Blaster with drivers for Win 9x for DirectSound 3D and EAX hardware acceleration and soundfonts.
PCI Audio 2 - Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 - An updated version of the Vortex 2 chip for A3D 1.0 and 2.0 acceleration. Make sure the main chip is marked "8830", not "8830A2", which is the earlier chip.
Hard Drive - Fast, quiet, and just within the limits of 16-bit scandisk and 28-bit LBA.
ISA Sound 1 - The old standby, the Sound Blaster 16 for true FM and rock solid 8/16-bit DSP compatibility. Try to get one with a v4.05DSP. 8-bit compatibility leaves something to be desired, but you should not really need to go that low.

Now, this system will not work very well with many older games, no matter how low you clock the CPU. I have designed it to be sufficiently powerful to run those older games in DOSBox. It should be able to manage 5,000 cycles, maybe even 10,000 cycles in DOSBox, which should be sufficient for any early VGA games.

Reply 1 of 11, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

If can manage an extreme underclock, you can knock it down to a blazing 133MHz! (2.0 x 66MHz)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the P-III models have a locked multiplier (except for some ultra-rare engineering and press samples)?
In such a case the CPU could only be downclocked to 466 MHz (7 x 66).

Reply 2 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

MB - The P3B-F offers one major advantage over the P2B models, a jumperless motherboard. It can probably support later PIIIs better than the older boards as well. This is vital for underclocking the CPU. Older boards have 2 ISA slots, newer boards only 1 ISA slot.

I wonder: is there any PIII mobo with more than 2 ISA slots?

EDIT: I also wonder about Gigabyte GA-6BXC; it has three ISA slots. How about its compatibility with older games? (booting in pure DOS, etc)

Reply 3 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the P-III models have a locked multiplier (except for some ultra-rare engineering and press samples)?
In such a case the CPU could only be downclocked to 466 MHz (7 x 66).

Frankly I am unsure about that bit. While I am definitely sure that Pentium IIIs did have multiplier locks that would forbid you above a certain multiplier, I don't know whether they would recognize a multiplier below the intended one. Fortunately, the P3B-F supports even the meanest Pentium II, so you may have to change a CPU.

The P2B supports Pentium IIIs and has three PCI slots, though personally I don't see the need for the third slot. If it werent for the fact that the SCB-55 sounds poorer on the SB16 than on the MPU-401AT, I would have serious doubts about the need for a second ISA slot.

Reply 4 of 11, by Spaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:

I wonder: is there any PIII mobo with more than 2 ISA slots?

EDIT: I also wonder about Gigabyte GA-6BXC; it has three ISA slots. How about its compatibility with older games? (booting in pure DOS, etc)

I have recently finished building a Win9x/DOS PC. I wanted a Pentium 3 motherboard with 4 ISA slots. After lots of searching I found an industrial model. The iPox 3BXA2 motherboad: http://www.lead-online.com/catalog/popup.php? … 9d057b6c31e92c9

This motherboard is unique. 1 AGP, 3 PCI, 4 ISA configuration. I have used up all seven expansion slots in my ATX tower and it runs without any problems (after some initial resource configuration (DMA/IRQ etc) 😀

AGP : 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 AGP
PCI1: Matrox Millennium II PCI
PCI2: D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 (wireless LAN for internet access)
PCI3: emty (shared with ISA1)
ISA1: Creative AWE64 Gold with 12MB memory upgrade (total 16MB)
ISA2: Roland LAPC-I
ISA3: Gravis Ultrasound ACE with 512kb memory upgrade (total 1MB)
ISA4: Roland SCC-1

With Win98SE/DOS 7.10 and DosBox (as a last resort) I can run pretty much any game I want to.

My complete system Specs are in this thread: My new retro PC

Reply 5 of 11, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

Frankly I am unsure about that bit. While I am definitely sure that Pentium IIIs did have multiplier locks that would forbid you above a certain multiplier, I don't know whether they would recognize a multiplier below the intended one.

I just tried it on my girlfriend's oldschool rig (yes, she has one too, for Diablo2 and old adventure games 😁), which has an Epox EP-3BX mainboard with a Pentium III 600 EB. The CPU completely ignores any multiplier settings and always runs at 4.5x. But this doesn't have to mean anything, since the CPU is mounted on one of these infamous "slotket"-adapters, which possibly blocks the multiplier settings.

Great Hierophant wrote:

The P2B supports Pentium IIIs and has three PCI slots, though personally I don't see the need for the third slot.

On the other hand, you'll never know when the next ISA card comes along to be tried out 😉

Reply 6 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tried it on my girlfriend's oldschool rig (yes, she has one too, for Diablo2 and old adventure games ), which has an Epox EP-3BX mainboard with a Pentium III 600 EB. The CPU completely ignores any multiplier settings and always runs at 4.5x. But this doesn't have to mean anything, since the CPU is mounted on one of these infamous "slotket"-adapters, which possibly blocks the multiplier settings.

Socket or slotket, I think that my idea of underclocking the CPU through the multiplier won't fly. I consider the 750 E Pentium III to give the greatest range of speeds. It has a 7.5 multiplier, and at the lowest bus speed of 66Mhz, it is ~500MHz, and at the highest bus speed of 133MHz, it is ~1000MHz. A nice range of speeds to play with.

Now for the lower end, some games are ideally looking for something in between 100-500Mhz. All Pentium IIs and IIIs are multiplier locked, (in the P2's case it can be undone but its more trouble than its worth), so you need to produce a range of frequencies with the FSB. Unfortunately, the Pentium IIs are mainly 66MHz parts and use higher multipliers than what is ideal for underclocking. In short, the lowest MHz you will likely get is 233Mhz. I recommend in that case using a PII 350, which has a 3.5 multiplier that should be able to do ~233Mhz and 350Mhz reliably.

Reply 8 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you get a Vortex 2 card, make sure the main chip is marked "AU8830", NOT "AU8830A2" because the first is the last and fastest revision of the Vortex 2 chip. Not even all Aureal SQ2500s have the later chip.

Reply 9 of 11, by dandu386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I myself have a 1996 Gateway 2000 with a pentium 166, ATI graphics card (good for 96) and soundblaster 16 soundcard, works great on games that run sluggishly on dosbox, but I wish I had a soundblaster pro so that I can play more games on it.

Reply 10 of 11, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

NIC - For when you need to connect to the Internet. Still trying to figure out how to network with an XP machine.

Are you talking about file sharing, GH? If so, Linux SaMBa implementations of windows file sharing are accessible by both Windows XP/2000 and Win9x clients. That's how I get files to and from my older machines quickly. I have an off-the-shelf NAS box (Dlink DSM-G600, but there are plenty others) that uses Samba for it's windows file sharing. In fact, even DOS clients using MS Client for DOS or Lan Manager for DOS can access it. I can share files between my DOS 3.3 XT and my P4 XP machine if use the NAS box as a central repository.

Or are you just referring to getting the Win9x box talking TCP/IP? (which it should be able to do right out of the box)