VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I am trying to run an old game (US Navy Fighters) and when I run with VDMS, I get the following message:

Abnormal program termination: Memory protection fault
CS:EIP = 01EFh:00007860h

I have run the game several times now, and I always get this. I am using the update, and I have tried with and without Launchpad. Is this related to VDMS, or is it strictly my problem 😀
My system is as follows:

ECS Mainboard
AMD Athlon XP 1.8 GHz
768 MB PC133
Ge-Force 4 MX420, 128MB RAM
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy XP
Windows XP

Thanks in advance,

stacy3ca@erau.edu

Reply 1 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by Unregistered I am trying to run an old game (US Navy Fighters) and when I run with VDMS, I get the followin […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Unregistered I am trying to run an old game (US Navy Fighters) and when I run with VDMS, I get the following message:

Abnormal program termination: Memory protection fault
CS:EIP = 01EFh:00007860h

Ooo...nasty. Any chance you'd like to switch to "Navy Fighters '97"? Seriously, that sounds like a rather nasty 16-bit incompatibility issue. Will try to find mine (although I think I might only have the '97 version) to test.

I have run the game several times now, and I always get this. I am using the update, and I have tried with and without Launchpad. Is this related to VDMS, or is it strictly my problem...

Have you tried selecting "no sound" and running it without VDMSound ? If "no sound" isn't an option, try the most basic SoundBlaster option available.

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

USNF doesn't work in NT. It doesn't even work under Connectix Virtual PC or Vmware which leads me to believe that it's either a speed issue or an issue with the processors of today.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak USNF doesn't work in NT.

I should have known. Couldn't find any info about it, apparently everyone who had it switched to NF'97 when it came out. Apparently someone yanked down all the NF demos sometime back as I couldn't find any (found plenty of ATF demos, though...).

Originally posted by UnregisteredI have tried with and without sound. Same every time. I wouldn't mind 97, but I would know where to start looking for a 6 year old game. If anyone knows where I could find it, I would appreciate it.

Actually, this should be pretty easy to find. It's been re-released as a "EA Gold CD" as well as being part of numerous "multi-game" packs. Shop around and you should find one of them. If you do find one of the original releases, you might want to grab the v1.4 patch from http://www.patches-scrolls.de/

From what I know, USNF '97 is identical to USNF, except that it has a Vietnam campaign, higher resolutions available, and is Windows-only.

Also, in the future, you might want to consider setting up a dual-boot system.

Reply 5 of 5, by chris97b

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'm in school now, but I'll be back home next week. I'm going to invest in another HDD it's all I can do to find the space to install new stuff 46 Gigs full 😀 When I do, I'm probably going to setup a Win98 SE / Win XP dual boot. I will also have access to my first comp. (Compaq Presario 520 486 66Mhz, Win95 / DOs 6.22) only reason I keep it around is to play old DOS games mostly USNF and Tie Fighter. Thanx for the advice.

It can be said that the universe has an infinite number of worlds, and since at least one of these is not populated, than there must be a finite number of people in the universe. The product of any finite number divided by infinity is so close to zero as makes no odds, thus the average population of the universe is zero. It can then be derived that the population of any given planet is zero, and any people you may meet from time to time are merely the product of a deranged imagination.