VOGONS

Common searches

redguard soundtrack

Topic actions

First post, by masterchief007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay. I have the software version of redguard and the glidos version of redguard. on the software version, the game has ingame music. on glidos, it doesnt. I dont know if this should go in vdms or what, its just that I like the redguard music and the software version is ugly. how can i get sound to play?

I do have the cd in the drive

Reply 3 of 34, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try bunging the attached version of Glide2x.ovl into your Glidos folder. It has Glidos redbook handling disabled.

Attachments

• Filename
    glide2x.zip
    File size
    10.75 KiB
    Downloads
    826 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 34, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed, the ingame music is redbook... and I didn't even notice there were audio tracks on the disc 😜

I gave a try to this OVL and wow, the world is full of music now! And the music volume setting works perfectly in the options menu - which is not the case with TR (CD volume stays at max, no matter what the setting). Great stuff.

For information, I'm using SAPUCDEX as my default CD driver.

Reply 6 of 34, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kaminari wrote:

Indeed, the ingame music is redbook... and I didn't even notice there were audio tracks on the disc 😜

I gave a try to this OVL and wow, the world is full of music now! And the music volume setting works perfectly in the options menu - which is not the case with TR (CD volume stays at max, no matter what the setting). Great stuff.

For information, I'm using SAPUCDEX as my default CD driver.

This is strange! What I have done in this new ovl file is to disable the code in Glidos that makes the background CD sounds of TR work on Windows XP. You seem to be implying that TR is still working. Are you using Windows 98? Or is it maybe that SAPUCDEX makes TR's CD audio work?

Reply 7 of 34, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
masterchief007 wrote:

im sorry, I dont really know what to do. could you walkme through it?

Click on the attachment above, which will cause the file to download to your computer. Probably best to download it to your desktop. Then double click the downloaded file, and hopefully it will open up like a folder (assuming you have something like WInZip or PowerArchiver installed). Inside the opened up archive you will see a file Glide2x.ovl. You need to copy that to your Glidos folder (which is probably C:\\Program Files\Glidos)

Reply 8 of 34, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Paul
You seem to be implying that TR is still working.

Indeed! I decided to give it a try after noticing that the sound volume setting was working in Redguard with this OVL version. No luck as far as the volume setting was concerned, but the audio CD worked nevertheless as usual.

Oh, I'm running Win2K SP3.

Reply 11 of 34, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm, so do I strip out my crabby redbook emulation from Glidos, and ask if I can distribute SAPUCDEX with Glidos?

Probably easiest to make my emualtion controlled by a glidos.ini line so that it can be used for TR1 and not other games.

Reply 12 of 34, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted to be sure of my results, so I conducted some little tests with your 'disabled' glide2x.ovl.

1. Tomb Raider

- mscdexnt -> no audio.
- sapucdex -> audio OK (no volume control).

2. Redguard

- mscdexnt -> no audio.
- sapucdex -> audio OK (volume control OK).

I can't be certain it would behave the same for everyone, but from my personal experience I would definitely recommend the use of SAPUCDEX (even in it's current beta state).

Reply 13 of 34, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would be curious to know whether the volume control issue is a TR issue or a SAPUCDEX issue.

Anyhow, SAPUCDEX is a bit more than "beta" - most problems it doesn't fix are caused by Windows or the application.

If Paul wants to figure out the TR issue, ask Sapu for the source. It is open-source, although the source has not been released here.

Also, a bug report on the SAPUCDEX thread might be worth it - I think Sapu has subscribed to the thread.

Reply 14 of 34, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The lack of audio in Redgurad with Glidos isn't a bug in SAPUCDEX (if you were suggesting that, which you may well not have been). The problem is that Glidos's redbook emulation takes over from SAPUCDEX, and doesn't do such a good job. Glidos's redbook emulation is very rudimentary.

Reply 15 of 34, by masterchief007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

what I had to do didnt work.... it had some side effects..... now my virtua cop 2 has the redguard theme song! its really strange. Im gonna try downloading it agian, but it didnt work

Reply 16 of 34, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why exactly is it that Glidos handles CD emulation at all? I would think it would be better to leave it to other utilities like SAPUCDEX, or at least let the user choose to use an external tool?

Reply 17 of 34, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

Why exactly is it that Glidos handles CD emulation at all? I would think it would be better to leave it to other utilities like SAPUCDEX, or at least let the user choose to use an external tool?

Because SAPUCDEX didn't exist back when I looked at sorting out the problem with TR1.

Even now, for people that just want to use Glidos with TR1, it is easier if I leave in my emulation. People don't want a list of things to install.

Reply 18 of 34, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
masterchief007 wrote:

what I had to do didnt work.... it had some side effects..... now my virtua cop 2 has the redguard theme song! its really strange. Im gonna try downloading it agian, but it didnt work

Presumably that is because Virtua Cop 2 also uses redbook, and you haven't swapped CDs.

Reply 19 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ Why exactly is it that Glidos handles CD emulation at all?
Originally posted by Glidos Because SAPUCDEX didn't exist back when I looked at sorting out the problem with TR1.

...and also because the results for SAPUCDEX aren't consistent yet.

It plays the title theme for TombRaider just fine for me, but everything else just endlessly loops after two seconds of play...