VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ran thru DOOM Shareware for bout the 10th time just this past weekend. Well a while back I got the CE version thinking "Hey.. I'd be all set man." Well I go and install it so I can go onto level 2... UGH.. Win95 Port = Hugest POS EVER!!!

Screw you f'n iD for releasing that TURD when DOOM 3 came out... absolutely worthless.

Although doing some digging around today, it's a good thing I have a couple Quake Shareware disks laying around 😎

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 2 of 17, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By all means, you MUST play it! Just with a different graphic engine...

Ever heard of Doomsday Engine?

Download the engine and try your WAD files (Doom 1, 2, Ultimate,etc, Hexen and Heretic) and prepare for a jaw dropping experience.
I only got it working in OpenGL mode, but still the graphics are amazing, mouselook is supported and better yet, you can actually jump!

It's the kind of work that should have been done by ID Soft, but instead they created a crappy windows port.

Let me know if this changed your mind.

Reply 4 of 17, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

njaydg, yeah, I might go that route with my main rig in the future... but for now I'm going oldschool 320x200 😀

I love how mindless fun this game is. AI and atmosphere sure have come a long way though. Although I did jump when I had a couple of this pig things come at me out of a hidden room. 😀

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 5 of 17, by slipkord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To the OP: I'm not sure if you played CE Doom using a DOSBox session under Win XP, or on a retro PC gaming rig with real DOS...

But if it's the former, then like njaydg said, avoid using the Doom95 frontend, and use a Windows-platform Doom sourceport. Or if it's the latter, use a DOS-platform sourceport.

There's dozens of them, but I've been using ZDoom and GZDoom under Win XP. The main reason I chose them over something like Doomsday/Vavoom/jDoom was that their authors explictly said that Strife WADs are supported - it so happens that Strife is one of my fave games, so there ya go. GZDoom takes ZDoom further by adding OpenGL rendering, dynamic lighting, and other stuff.

Try loading your Doom WAD(s) through a Doom sourceport and twiddle with the options - see if you like adding mouselook, jumping, OpenGL rendered stuff, dynamic lighting, and dozens of other audio/video/misc. config settings. Or simply have them disabled for playing DOOM just about how it was meant to be - and you'll have ditched that Doom95 frontend!

Reply 6 of 17, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In fact there is a way of getting a DOS version of the Doom Collector's edition. I happen to have this version and it is not that crappy. All you need to do is download doom 1.9 shareware from ftp.idsoftware.com, then copy your original .wad file from the collector's cdrom, then download doom 1.9 patch again from ftp.idsoftware.com. Then run the patch and you will have doom and doom2, and final doom dos versions which you will patch each in its separate directory. The only thing missing is final's doom setup.exe (which shows final doom in the setup menu title) but you can still live without it.

Anyway, you could always try a newer port like zdoom or zdaemon (for online play) which are quite close to the original (with some exceptions). But I also have the original doom games patched in the above manner which I use on dosbox.

Reply 7 of 17, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah Doomer, I had tried swapping WADs with my shareware version but it didn't let me get to the 2nd level (had the you need to purchase message).

Didn't know bout that 1.9 patch 'fix' though.

Anyway, I have the WADs, so that's really all that matters.

Reply 8 of 17, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
njaydg wrote:

By all means, you MUST play it! Just with a different graphic engine...

Ever heard of Doomsday Engine?

😳 Whohah! I'd definitely pick this over Doom 3.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 17, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah Doomer, I had tried swapping WADs with my shareware version but it didn't let me get to the 2nd level (had the you need to purchase message).

Didn't know bout that 1.9 patch 'fix' though.

Anyway, I have the WADs, so that's really all that matters.

No, you need to apply patch 1.9 after you swap doom2.wad or doom.wad with the shareware wad, otherwise it will not work. You also need to use the 1.9 shareware version found on ftp.idsoftware.com (just like the patch). If you apply patch 1.9, it turns into a registered version and works fine.

Last edited by doomer on 2007-07-23, 18:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dh4rm4 wrote:

Wildtangent (makers of much spyware and crappy java games) did Quake95.

Wrong. There was no Quake95 and id software did the GLQuake/Winquake ports themselves.

Mike 01Hawk wrote:

njaydg, yeah, I might go that route with my main rig in the future... but for now I'm going oldschool 320x200 😀

Chocolate Doom is the best.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 17, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes doomer, I get what you are saying... but before I even started this thread I had tried that little trick thinking a wad was a wad. 😀

Reply 12 of 17, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's your choice. 😀 I have got perfect registered dos doom, doom2, and final doom versions with that same Collector's edition using this neat trick. And that's why I posted, the CE is not that crappy. 😉

Reply 13 of 17, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@ KAN : I'm glad you enjoyed! Mess around with the resolution, tons of graphic settings/effects, EAX/reverb sound and you'll see the true power of it!

@ leileilol : You are totally entitled to your oppinion, and I truly respect that 😉 , but do you honestly think that this:

http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/ … te-uac_dead.png

looks better than this:

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/screenshots/doom_030.jpg

Graphic wise only, as I haven't compared the gameplay for both engines.

However, as I say to all my friends when asked "what's better for...": use the software that you enjoy the most, not the one most people enjoy! 😎

Reply 14 of 17, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doomer
Ah, yeah, I guess I should probably do that instead of using the Quake Shareware 'trick'

And yeah, I should revise that the CE 'wads' aren't bad, cause.. well, they were the original wads... it's that POS front end 🙁 Very shoddy... iD coulda done WAY WAY better, especially since this was a warm up release to the then-new DOOM3.

njaydg,
I didn't pick up a biased viewpoint from Lei, he was only pointing me towards that front end that makes DOOM playable on new machines "just the way it was played back in the day".

Oh, and if you guys haven't figured out from my sig or previous posts... I'm playing all these old school games on my old school Pentium I 200mhz 😀 Trying to be a purist. Then again, that's a debate for a whole other thread.

Reply 15 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
njaydg wrote:
but do you honestly think that this: […]
Show full quote

but do you honestly think that this:

http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/ … te-uac_dead.png

looks better than this:

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/screenshots/doom_030.jpg

Yes.

I prefer to play ports that don't make the game all flarey, 'purty' and ugly. If i wanted modern graphics, i'll play a modern game or a tech demo

Doomsday doesn't even support the Boom extensions and limit removers which almost every other port has at the least, so it sucks for playing any custom wads with

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 17, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

njaydg: i think leileilol was trying to say that this "chocolate"-thing is best for playing "vanilla" (nice pun) Doom. "Vanilla" as in "as close to the original as possible".

In terms of eye-candy, Doomsday just rocks. You can download and use high resolution textures, real 3D models, high-quality soundtracks, etc. It makes playing good ol' Doom a totally new experience (Heretic and Hexen, too). Every Doom fan (or FPS fanatic) should check it out.

Btw, did you know there's also engines for Descent 1/2, Duke 3D (looks incredible with highres textures), and a load of other games? Sadly, i couldn't find a web resource which conveniently lists them all. There's a lot of hidden gems out there.

Edit: hey leileilol, don't be so single-minded. Very often, new engines enhance the playing experience over the original versions. A good example is D2X-XL, a Descent 1/2 engine. One major advantage of that engine, compared to the DOS original, is the fact that it's possible to use all axes and buttons on a joypad, and to configure them the way you like. Besides "useful" functions like this, i think it's pretty interesting and amazing how an old game can be enhanced graphically, or sound-wise.

Reply 17 of 17, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@ Mike 01Hawk: Don't worry, friend! It's perfectly fine you want the closest thing to the original. After all, you do have the right hardware for it, and that makes for one hell of a nostalgia trip down memory lane! 😀

@ leileilol: Again, I agree with you in the fact that "vanilla+chocolate" is more faithful to the original than Doomsday is, but I was only trying to tell you that, despite loving the original, playing with Doomsday engine was like reviewing my memories of playing original Doom in the past, but only with a sharper image! It felt as great while playing the original as it did with the modern engine. That's what I was trying to share with you, that's all... No hard feelings! 😉 😎

@ ADDiCT: Agreed and understood every point mentioned! You've helped me out expressing the main idea here... Being open minded for new and enhanced experiences but always being faithful to the old ones!

p.s.- should you find an interesting resource, please share it with us.

@ all: I personally don't go after the custom wads that diverge from the content the original ones, as it would not, IMHO, be faithfull to my own memories. But that doesn't mean everyone else can't play & enjoy them... In the end, it's the FUN+NOSTALGIA factor that scores the most points for ANY DOS player! 😁