VOGONS

First post, by jjj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been messing about with my enhanced SS CD (yes, its original) trying to get it to work with Gravis Ultrasound emulation in Dosbox 0.72.

No luck so far. It appears Gravis support was removed in the move from the floppy version to the enhanced CD. From the readme:

" In creating the System Shock Enhanced CD, we switched to a new,
multi-channel stereo sound system called AIL3. Sadly, the Gravis drivers
for this system are not yet complete. We want to support the Gravis
Ultrasound in conjunction with AIL3, though, and when the associated Gravis
stereo drivers are ready, a patch will be made available."

Was such a patch ever made available? Is there a fix, hack or somesuch to get this working? Any help appreciated 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They seem to exist :

http://www.mpoli.fi/files/hardware/SOUND/GRAV … /UPD/index.html

But I have no experiance in installing GUS patches.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 2 of 7, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jjj wrote:

Was such a patch ever made available? Is there a fix, hack or somesuch to get this working?

No, there never was an official patch fixing GUS sound with the enhanced CD version of System Shock.

It is possible to get Ultrasound support working: Replace the old Soundblaster and General MIDI drivers with the updated GUS AIL drivers.
This is a crude hack, which generally works, however, some users have reported buggy music when employing it.
I haven't tested this myself, it is also possible that these bugs are a result of copying the new patches over the wrong files.

Reply 3 of 7, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jjj wrote:

Was such a patch ever made available? Is there a fix, hack or somesuch to get this working? Any help appreciated 😀

Sadly, Looking Glass Technologies never released their promised patch to enable the Gravis Ultrasound support (using the Miles AIL3 drivers) for the December 1994 Enhanced CD-ROM version SYSTEM SHOCK. However, if you look closely at the low-res AVI files referenced below, you might be suprised. 😳

Gravis Ultrasound:

Low-res video Intro sample: 2.56MB AVI (2:34) (22,050Hz stereo)
Gravis Ultrasound Classic version: (Dosbox v0.65 Gravis Ultrasound soundcard emulation)

Note: This Gravis Ultrasound sample used the v4.11 release patches, overlaid with Propatches Lite v1.61, along with the 14 SYSTEM SHOCK specific custom patches. The SYSTEM SHOCK vF2.7P program INSTALL.EXE was used to play the Introthm.xmi XMIDI music.

Low-res video in-Game sample: 3.26MB AVI (2:34) (22,050Hz stereo)
Gravis Ultrasound Classic version: (Dosbox v0.65 Gravis Ultrasound soundcard emulation)

Note: The Gravis Ultrasound sample used the v4.11 release patches, along with the 14 SYSTEM SHOCK specific custom patches.

Hope this helps give you what you would have heard with the Gravis Ultrasound in 1995. 😁

dvwjr

Edit: Change host site to BoxStr.com

Reply 4 of 7, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. I did it!
1. Download AIL30 GUS drivers from site that mentioned above by ErikGG.
2.Extract archive wherever you want and copy files ULTRA.DIG and ULTRA.MDI to the SOUND directory.
3. Rename file ULTRA.DIG as SB16.DIG and ULTRA.MDI as MPU401.MDI.
4. Launch install.exe and select Soundblaster16 as Digital card and General Midi as Music card.
5. Save settings and exit
6. Launch cdshock.bat and enjoy GUS music 😀

Reply 6 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The Metropoli FTP server has been around a long time, and it may just be a temporary problem. The server is actually responsive, but file transfers are failing, so possibly a storage issue.

You can get the archive here, and it generally seems to work OK with the CD version of System Shock. Make sure you have GUS patches correctly installed, and you might want to check that the IO, IRQ, DMA, and DRQ values in the game's config file are -1 for "auto" because any specific values for SB or whatever will probably not work.

FWIW, the floppy version of System Shock includes 14 custom instrument patches for GUS, and if you use them instead of the standard patches they are intended to replace, the music does sound better in my opinion.