VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there any good disk recovery tools for floppies? VGACopy is apparently one of the best but google says a lot about it being spyware. WinImage is also nice but it can NOT auto-retry, can't force through 🙁

BadCopy looks promising but it is a shareware trial. 🙁

Also OTish but do 5 2.5" floppy drives work on Pentium IIs and later? I stopped using them when I upgraded to Pentium as I feared they would bottleneck disk access performance. Now my 5 2.5"drives are damaged. Wish they existed in USB form.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My 5.25" floppy drive worked in my nforce 2 mobo with Windows 2000. Not sure if XP still has 5.25" support.

As long as your BIOS has the option then you should be good.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unstopabble can be used to force read retries. I don't know if it will work for floppies, though.

Attachments

• Filename
    UNSTOPCP.RAR
    File size
    62.92 KiB
    Downloads
    467 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 6, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

VGACopy is apparently one of the best but google says a lot about it being spyware.

Back in the days when VGA-Copy was written, spyware did not yet exist in the form we know it today. The Google links you mentioned deal with a completely different program.
However, all the relevant info on VGA-Copy (the diskette copying utility) on the net seems to be available in German language only...

This is the webpage of the Author, who kindly released the latest version of VGA-Copy as freeware (see attachment).

Attachments

• Filename
    vgacp625.zip
    File size
    227.82 KiB
    Downloads
    286 downloads
    File comment
    VGA-Copy v6.25 by Thomas Mönkemeier
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception