VOGONS

MT32 as soundfont?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there any soundfont that faithfully resembles the sounds in MT32?

Or MT32 has behaviours that can not be emulated with soundfonts?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 4, by prozoam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I've been giving this a little thought. Let me know if I'm on the wrong path.

It seems as though the default sound set of the MT-32 could be reproduced as a sound font (perhaps it already has?). After all, the SC-55's MT-32 emulation mode did something similar. What we're really missing is the ability to load custom sound data.

Now for a given game using custom sound data, couldn't a sound font be generated specific to that game? Ultimately, you might have, in addition to the MT-32 default sound font, a sound font for every game that used custom sound data. But, at least when it comes to playing old games, the need for actual MT-32 emulation would be circumvented.

Thoughts?

Reply 3 of 4, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

t seems as though the default sound set of the MT-32 could be reproduced as a sound font (perhaps it already has?).

I think so. I have a soundfont called synthmt.sf2 which I think has the same instrument mappings as the default mt-32.

Now for a given game using custom sound data, couldn't a sound font be generated specific to that game? Ultimately, you might have, in addition to the MT-32 default sound font, a sound font for every game that used custom sound data. But, at least when it comes to playing old games, the need for actual MT-32 emulation would be circumvented.

I think that's how it works on ScummVM if you use its MIDI output (unless you specify that you have a real MT-32).

Additionally, if the game reprograms the MT-32 more than once (I don't know if they do), the instrument mappings would go out of sync.

Reply 4 of 4, by RvLeshrac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is that the MT-32 can do things on-the-fly which can't be done with pregenerated sounds. That's one reason the waveform-generating MUNT wobbles between "pretty good," "passable," and "terrible" depending on the instrument being played.

The concept is valid, but the execution leaves things to be desired.