VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WindowsNT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I 've tried some frontends, but I was not satisfied so I tried to create my own, named "Turbo Dos Box"

http://www.turboirc.com/tdb

Features:

* ~100KB no setup
* All DosBox options are accessible via Dialog Box Tree
* Auto mounting as necessary
* "Right click and play" ; Once loaded once, a right click entry is created for EXE/COM/BAT files, allowing existing installed games to be played with a simple right click.
* x86/x64 version available
* Automatic updates when new version is released

Please give it a try and tell me your opinion.

Best Regards,
Michael

Reply 1 of 27, by pottzman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks m8, ive been waiting for this sort of frontend/app......is there anyway to add the "noconsole" switch to the individual game profiles? cheers....if I think of anything else i'll be sure to ask!!! 😀 😀

Reply 3 of 27, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You just add -noconsole to DOSBox commandline (edit shortcut properties). Thus, secondary info window won't be displayed.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 27, by WindowsNT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update (get it automatically from menu options).

* Added option to specify command line parameters for each profile. Default = -noconsole

After updating, do Options->Restore Default Profile so the new XML is saved and -noconsole becomes default for all right clicks.

Reply 6 of 27, by stalepie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The main problem I've had with DOSBox is that starting up a game was difficult for someone not used to DOS. People are not born with the knowledge of "type DIR to see directory contents, type DIR \p to keep directory contents from scrolling off screen before you have a chance to see them all" and stuff like that. Sure, people who are playing DOS games are probably already kind of old or good with computers, but I think it could have another option where it makes it easier to do. My suggestion is to program it so that if you run a DOS-game .exe with DOSbox it simply runs it. That is, in Windows, if you drag the .exe file onto DOSbox's exe, then the game starts up. Or if you right-click on a game's exe and say "Run with DOSBox" or "Open with..." and then choose DosBox from the menu, then it will open with it. The DOSbox program can be made to understand that it needs to look for the other files that the .exe is in the directory of (that is, it automatically, behind the scenes, goes through the steps of seeing which directory it's in, then which files it needs, just as though you typed cd \games\game.exe). This way you wouldn't really need a frontend. But if you must have a frontend, just make it easy to double click on the name like running any other emulator. People approach this like another game emulator, so they expect to open a menu and find a ROM in their ROM folder and then it loads it up, or they expect it to be like Mame32 and have a list. Or you could have a DOS-y version of a "front-end." I mean, when I run MAME from cmd.exe it lists the games in my ROMs folder. You could have it so that when you run DOSBox a message pops up that says "Type 'games' to see a listing of games in your DOS-games directory" and "If you have not set up your DOS-box games directory, type the following commands, or put your DOS game folders and files into the prebuilt DOSBox directory called 'games'." And so the user would just type "games" at the DOSBox command line and he'd see a listing of what he's got, then he'd type the name. Also it could have a built-in list of DOSgames -- yes I know there was a lot, but MAME has this feature and there was a lot of arcade games -- where if the user types "quest for glory 4" instead of "qfg4" it would give a suggestion for what to type or automatically load it up based on the closest match.

Reply 8 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What does your rant have to do with this thread?

Also everything that you have just written has been stated before on these forums.

If you don't like how DOSBox does things then you can easily download the source and fix it yourself assuming you have the knowledge to do so.

Finally, mounting is not "stupid". It's completely the opposite. I daresay it's absolutely brilliant.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 27, by stalepie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have the knowledge to do so. Sorry, but not everyone in the world can be a programmer. Also I don't have time to read every post on this forum. Also I was not ranting. Also my post has to do (vaguely) with the topic at hand because I'm explaining why people want frontends in the first place, and I want to remind everybody that adding more frontends to the pile will only make using DOSbox more of a nuisance because having too many choices is a bad thing. Also if my changes that I mentioned were implemented in command-line Dosbox, a lot of the need for a frontend would disappear (same with MAME command line). And supposedly GUI programs are harder to make than text programs so I was trying to help everybody out by giving advice which of course isn't wanted because anytime anyone says anything slightly off topic / disagreeable on a forum he is banished as a phantasy creature ("troll" -- http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/magazine/03 … all&oref=slogin ) And I won't post here anymore. I'm not as touchy as I sound, I'm just saying that I know that whenever I open my mouth I cause conflict and people don't like that. I'm an unpleasant person.

Last edited by stalepie on 2008-08-03, 13:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 27, by stalepie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

which is why I chose a witch as my avatar rather than an almost barebreasted cartoon girl and why I do awful troll-like things like double post.

Reply 12 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the inevitable future is that people will not know how to read or even type anymore so making the DOSBox command line easier to use (which would also contradict MS-DOS) is just a waste of time. People don't even RTFM before asking their dumb ass question or read the forum so wasting time making the CLI "easier" is just that.

Suprisingly (or not) frontends are used by a ton of DOSBox users. Mostly to organize all the dozens, hundreds or thousands of DOS games they have in their collection. Typing in commands for each game or entering config options manually for each game is not an option for these people. So there will always be a frontend. There is also a GUI built right into DOSBox but it's pretty much for configuring config options using the GUI instead of typing in commands not for setting up hundreds of games.

As for your rant up above (Yes it is a rant) and why you may cause conflict..... You've got one whole paragraph there that's not even split up. At least your spelling everything correctly and uses capitals. Regual forum users do not like having to work to read. By cramming everything together into a huge-ass mass you make it harder to read. Therefore people get irratible. Next, You barge into the ops forum thread and go totally off-topic. That's just rude. It's like if you were 20 talking with the rest of your 20-25yr old friends about the Batman Dark Night movie and a 10yr old kid barged in and immediately starting talking about some lame ass kid's move. WTF? Yeah, they both are movies but they have nothing whatsoever to do with each other.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 27, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should this thread be split, since this rant does not have that much to do with WindowsNT's Frontend?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 14 of 27, by djp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My favorite part of this rant: Sure, people who are playing DOS games are probably already kind of old. 🤣

Never try to outstubborn a cat. - Lazarus Long

Reply 15 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
collector wrote:

Should this thread be split, since this rant does not have that much to do with WindowsNT's Frontend?

If the OP requests it, sure.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 16 of 27, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't remember having any kind of "frontend" in the DOS days, well before Windows 3.0. I ran everything from the C: or A: prompt like most people.

While I think these front ends are wonderful for those with large collections, I do believe most DOS game players actually played them back in the day, so the DOS CLI is not foreign. This doesn't make me agree or disagree with anyone in this thread - just stating the obvious. Most DOSbox users are probably comfortable with DOS, so frontends are not a crutch at all, just a convenience.

I personally don't run a frontend at all. I don't have a large collection that I still play, and most games can be run from one of three configs. Even my DOS images on VirtualPC or VMWare have only two boot configs each. One for EMM386 and one for UMBPCI.SYS.

Reply 17 of 27, by WindowsNT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I expected to take opinions on what I 've created and possible features you 'd want me to add.

I am not interested in general opinions whether DOSBox is good or bad, or if a frontend is useful.

Reply 18 of 27, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WindowsNT wrote:

Well, I expected to take opinions on what I 've created and possible features you 'd want me to add.

I am not interested in general opinions whether DOSBox is good or bad, or if a frontend is useful.

MiniMax wrote:
collector wrote:

If the OP requests it, sure.

That said, some notes and suggestions:

1) It does not seem to let you mount a directory, but wants to mount the root drive.

2) If you had it set a dosbox.conf in each game's folder the config file could be edited by your GUI or by manually editing it. Having both options can make it more appealing to both noobs and experienced DOSBox users.

3) How about a "Configure Game with TurboDOSBox" that will invoke your GUI

4) A "Create a DOSBox shortcut" on a right click of the game's executable that also specifies and writes the dosbox.conf it will use in the game's folder would be great. This config file could be edited by your GUI or by manually editing it.

Reply 19 of 27, by WindowsNT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update

* Updated the XML library to latest version
* Added "Create TDB shortcut" which can create a .TDB shortcut (default folder is the folder of executable)
* Added "Create CONF" which creates a DosBox .conf file which can be also opened and executed with TDB.