VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going to be mentioning some things in this thread that the moderators may consider objectionable, including mentions of warez. I would like to ask that they please hear me out before just dropping the hammer on me.

Now, here's my dilemma. I have been trying for ages to get a legitimate copy of Pinball World, a 1995 DOS game from 21st Century and Spidersoft. At first, all I could find was a limited demo version that only had two of the tables. I looked for ages, all over Google, eBay, Amazon, and all the various ass-end-of-the-internet CD-ROM shops. No sign that the game ever existed, aside from occasional mentions in newsgroup posts and an Internet Archived version of what used to be 21st Century's website. They are, sadly, quite defunct, so I have no way of telling who owns the copyrights to their work.

In the meantime, I have been forced to resort to using a downloaded copy of the game. It appears to include everything that is installed to the hard drive; graphics and sound are all intact, as is the music (in AMF format). I know all the music is present, as I'm able to listen to all of it in Modplug Player and there don't seem to be any holes as far as music associated with tables.

The problem here is, this downloaded version of the game is evidently not configured properly: it seems to be trying to play music off of a CD (I'd assume in CD Audio format), which I obviously do not have, as I can't find a copy of the damn game anywhere. But I know that the music exists in AMF format right here in the game directory. I have no idea how to get Pinball World to play this stuff instead of trying to play music from the CD.

So at this point I have two possible options, neither of which seem remotely possible: either find a copy of Pinball World, legitimately (either used or by contacting the copyright owners - I have no idea where to begin there!), or figure out how to get this downloaded copy to play the music 100% of the time instead of just on the title screen and bonus tables.

I really need help. I'm at my wit's end here! I want to be as legit as possible, but my efforts are repeatedly thwarted. It certainly doesn't help that 21st Century has long since gone bankrupt and exited the pinball business, and I have no idea what happened to Spidersoft.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 1 of 1, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course my reply isn't going to be of much help ..... 😀

Asking for a download (or information regarding a download) isn't the thing to do. eBay or a game trade site is probably your only option to obtain the CD.

I actually have the CD but not to hand. If I come across it this weekend I'll let you know if it only plays CD music or not. From memory is wasn't a great pinball game anyways 🤐