VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Hecatomb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've downloaded the DOSBox 0.72 win.32 installer, but when I attempt to run it, a window appears for a fraction of a second, too briefly to see what it is, and then disappears along with the install file. I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit. Has anyone else had this problem?

Reply 2 of 15, by Hecatomb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've downloaded the file a nearly a dozen times to multiple locations, I've tried changing the source mirror, and I've tried running the file instead of saving it to my system first. The same thing happens every time. Once I grant administrator permission, the install file vanishes.

Reply 4 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes guess we need a zip, rar, 7z, ain, lha and whatnot archives for those
who can't extract an nsis installer themselves (those should better use
an installer anyways).

I've downloaded the file a nearly a dozen times to multiple locations

Check the download source again (sourceforge), you can choose to download
from different mirrors, maybe one is broken (i've just checked, it works fine here).
If it still doesn't work: how big exactly is the downloaded executable?

Reply 6 of 15, by Hecatomb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The file I receive from the download is "DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe" and it is 1.20 MB. I've tried downloading from all three North America mirrors, with identical results. DosFreak (awesome avatar by the way!), you suggested not using a download manager, how do I download the file without using one? Also, should I try running the installer by another method than simply double-clicking it?

Reply 7 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

This is the copy I have:

2007-10-10  22:36         1 258 638 DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe

And the MD5 checksum:

14e5d3cf6b015066e6c9b04df8556e7c *DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you can't download this correctly then something is either wrong with your computer or your connection.

By Download Manager I mean a seperate program that uses multiple connections to download the file in chunks. Sometimes those programs have issues with downloading files correctly.

Attachments

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 15, by Hecatomb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't use a download manager, and the zip file didn't help. I looked through the event logs and found an error message:

Source: win32k
Event ID: 245
The app dosbox.exe locked the primary surface 1 time(s).

I have no idea what any of that means. Can someone help interpret?

Reply 11 of 15, by Hecatomb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried running my copy of Space Quest (the 6 game collection released in '06 for Windows XP by Vivendi) and was unable to launch any of the games. When I looked through the SQ files, I found DosBox version .63 among them, so I reasoned that the SQ launch failure was connected to the installation problem with .72. I've played SQ before on this machine with XP before switching to Vista, so the problem is probably with Vista. If we can't pin down the conflict between DosBox and Vista, I'll try re-installing XP, but I'd prefer to avoid doing so until there's no other option.

Reply 12 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ok so you're mixing the dosbox installer, some ancient dosbox.exe, a recent
dosbox.exe, and moreover are posting information about any selected of them
without further note, how do you assume anybody can help you exactly?

Reply 13 of 15, by Hecatomb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my 4th post. I haven't found anyone else who is having this problem, and am getting a bit frustrated that I can't find the answer myself. I just want to get my games running. Is there any other information that you need, or that could be helpful?

Reply 14 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

1) Can you install DOSBox 0.72?
2) Can you run DOSBox 0.72?
3) Can you find the DOSBox configuration that came with your game?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions