Thanks to h-a-l-9000 and Harekiet for your help. I have it working. In the config file I had entered:
and was having no luck getting it to work with the time clock it was connected to through a modem. I had set up the USB/Serial converter in Vista to com1 as:
Bits per second: 9600
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 2
which matched the settings on the com port from the old Mac and the settings in the timeclock software. I assumed since I set the com port up in Windows with those settings that it would use them. I know, never assume, and once again it came back to haunt me. The solution was to change the config file to:
serial1=directserial realport:com1 startbps:9600 parity:n bytesize:8 stopbits:2
It all worked perfectly after that.
Thanks again. Great software.