VOGONS

CVS Builds (once a week)

Topic actions

First post, by rjpa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

As some of you may know, I'm builiding CVS compilations for Win32 (Win9x/2000/XP) of DOSBox every 2nd day or so. You can grab them from this place: http://www.mypixels.dk/forums/

Note that these compilations ARE NOT SUPPORTED and the SCREENSHOT FUNCTION IS DISABLED.

Cheers,
rjpa

UPDATE: Builds include debug-enabled versions as well. You now needs to be a member of mypixels forums in order to be able to download the files. Read more over at our forums.

Last edited by rjpa on 2004-01-14, 13:55. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 123, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here, lemme repost this for those who want to compile their own builds or otherwise tinker:

---

Compiling the latest CVS version of DOSbox under win2K/XP using only free tools
(A guide for newbies written by a newbie)
(from the original thread posted 2003.07.29 on the old SF forums)

BIG IRRITATING DISCLAIMER #1: the CVS versions of DOSbox are completely and totally unsupported, so DON'T bug the creators of this fine program with any problems you might be having with this. If you can successfully compile the program, you're probably not a complete feeb so this should be common sense.

BIG IRRITATING DISCLAIMER #2: I myself am a complete newcomer to most of this stuff, so if any steps in this tutorial are wrong, please chime in with the correct procedure. This is simply what worked for me, so your mileage may well vary.

*ahem*

First grab the latest version of the DOSbox source. You can either download a checkout from the CVS servers here at SourceForge (poke around SF.net for info on how to do this and what software you'll need) or there's an archive of the same thing that seems to be updated fairly often here:

http://pcnwstage.phys.rug.nl/dosboxcvs.tgz

Download this and extract it to its own dir. DOSbox uses SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) for all kinds of snazzy crap so you'll also need the source for that as well, which can be found here:

http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.5.zip

Download that and extract it to a different dir. Now all we need is some software with which to compile. MinGW is a spiffy and most importantly free suite of tools for doing just that. Grab the latest version here:

http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/MinGW-3.0.0-rc3.exe?download

and also something called MSYS, or Minimal SYStem, which is an environment in which you can run configure scripts, etc. get it here:

http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/MSYS-1.0.9.exe?download

I installed MinGW first, and then MSYS, so you should do so as well. MSYS will ask you where MinGW is installed, give it the proper path. When both tools are installed, run MSYS.BAT from the dir in which you installed MSYS. A little UNIXy window will pop up. First navigate to the dir (you may have to back up to the root first and then changedir to the appropriate drive letter) in which you extracted the SDL source, then type:

./configure

A bunch of stuff will happen. once you see the prompt again, type:

make

and then once that's done (it takes a while) type:

make install

We're almost ready to compile DOSbox, but first we need to tell DOSbox where to find the SDL library goodness that we just compiled. The way I did it is I set my system's PATH variable to include the dir where SDL is. My kludgey way of doing that was: type SET and then in the barf that follows find the line that beings PATH='. Left-click and drag to select that entire line (it may in fact encompass multiple lines, get them too) and then left click again on the selected block to *copy* it. Then go back to the command line and shift-leftclick to paste the text. Edit the last bit to include the path where the compiled SDL.DLL ended up, so that the statement looks something like (the earlier entries WILL vary):

$ PATH='.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/WINNT/system32:/c/WINNT:c/sdl-1.2.5/src/.libs'

Make sure there's a : between the next-to-last entry and the SDL one you add, and close it off with a single ' mark. Then hit enter.

Change to the dir where the DOSbox source is. As before, type:

./configure

and then once that's done, type:

make

to compile a useable DOSbox binary. If it aborts and gives you an error message about SDL during the ./configure phase, something with SDL went wrong, so make sure that SDL compiled and installed properly, and make sure that your PATH environment variable is set correctly as detailed above.

[EDIT: There used to be a gotcha with drive_cache.cpp, but it was fixed. Yayy!]

If all goes well, you should now have a file called DOSBOX.EXE sitting in /dosbox/src. Copy that to some other folder along with the version of SDL.DLL you compiled (actually I was able to use the older, faster version of SDL.DLL from the official 0.58 release of DOSbox). Take it for a spin with the old game of your choice! With the version I compiled yesterday I was able to run "Syndicate" and "Twinsen's Adventure".

Last edited by oneirotekt on 2003-08-19, 15:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 123, by rjpa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Snover,

Well, maybe I will, I just have to change the settings for my buildsystem, takes a little while. But expect debug binaries soon.

oneirotekt,

You don't actually need to change the file: src/dos/drive_cache.cpp anymore. qbix have been so kind to script the output and automatically add this to the source, nice one qbix, thanks for it 😉

all,

The build system now runs OK. The BS will from today build and compile binaries once a day (around approx. 10AM CET).

Cheers
rjpa

Reply 5 of 123, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

ripja:

if you want to create debug versions snover is talking about:
configure --enable-debug
instead of configure in the dosbox directory

You need a ncurses package for it to work.

futher the added header(windows.h) has been added to cvs actually.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 123, by rjpa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Schadenfreude wrote:

I thought they were using pdcurses in the private beta debug versions (at least that is what I have heard...)

http://pdcurses.sourceforge.net/

Schadenfreude, do you or somebody else know how to compile this package and install it?

/rjpa

Reply 13 of 123, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Change to the dir where the DOSbox source is. As before, type:

./configure

Yuk.. I just got the latest cvs source, and there IS no ./configure! The INSTALL file tells me to run ./autogen.sh first (why can't it just include a ./configure by default?) but that tries to use some very bizarrely named Unix tools that I don't have and apparently don't exist for Cygwin (aclocal, autoheader, automake and autoconf)... well OK, automake and autoconf do, but not the other 2. So I'm stuck.

== Jez ==

Reply 15 of 123, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
jez wrote:

Yuk.. I just got the latest cvs source, and there IS no ./configure! The INSTALL file tells me to run ./autogen.sh first (why can't it just include a ./configure by default?) but that tries to use some very bizarrely named Unix tools that I don't have and apparently don't exist for Cygwin (aclocal, autoheader, automake and autoconf)... well OK, automake and autoconf do, but not the other 2. So I'm stuck.

Use the archive at http://pcnwstage.phys.rug.nl/dosboxcvs.tgz

it contains the latest source with a configure.

Don't expect this configure to be in the cvs at sourceforge......

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 16 of 123, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

2 things:

Isn't the point that I want to generate the configure myself? Otherwise the configure may have changed (yea I know, in theory), and it may be outdated.

Also, that source you just pointed to contains a lot more files than just configure; it appears that autogen.sh generates a load of support files. If I used that source version for configure, i'd pretty much have to use it for everything!

How does that source version generate those files... don't tell me, it runs on a Unix system, right? How ironic is it that something that emulates an MS operating system builds properly only on a Unix system? 😀

== Jez ==