VOGONS

First post, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had a hd in my machine that been disconnected so long I wasn't sure it worked. But I plugged it in and it's got IBM DOS 5.02 on it. Three partitions, 2GB each as I recall [from memory].

So, I want to dual boot with Win 98. In order not to ruin this installation, I do the usual copy and sys commands to get it onto my other hard drive, and so on. But it won't recognise this 8GB hard drive as anything other than 1GB. In fact it forces the BIOS to recognise the drive as 1GB even though the BIOS will auto-detect as 8GB. I cannot get DOS to run unless I set it up as a 1GB drive.

I installed Win95, then upgraded to Win98. Now if I tap f8 while it's booting, I can still go into IBM DOS 5.02.

But what's with the hard disk sizes? fdisk - either the IBM DOS version or the Win98 version - will not see more than 1GB.

Reply 1 of 3, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting.

Though some do not prefer it, I always try not to dual boot. Instead I always prefer to create separate partitions for different OS. I try not to mix two OSs in the same partition and then dual boot.

For example, I just finished setting up my latest HDD Multi-OS configuration using two hard drives. Please bear in mind that this particular "classic" system is based on a PIII 1GHz Socket 370 based system. So the BIOS will be relatively newer.
One HDD is a 80GB drive, the other 40GB.

On the 80GB HDD, I first used FDISK to delete all partitions. Then started creating.
It recognized only the first 8GB of the total space. (That comes to 10% of the actual capacity.)
I let it create the first "Primary" FAT16 partition and set it active. Then created extended partitions in the rest of the space. It created upto 4 drives by using FDISK - C,D,E, and F.

Then I used Partition Magic 7 (PowerQuest) to create a FAT32 partition in the rest of the space. Then I "Hide" the FAT16 primary partition to prevent installation errors of other OSs. I then set this partition Active. Installed Windows 98SE in this partition. Booted properly into Win98SE without problems.
To use back the MS-DOS 6.22, I use Windows 98's FDISK to set the dos partition active. I've created a ms-dos shortcut in w98 to do this.
So when I want to switch back to Windows98, I set the the FAT32 partition (which is showed as Non-Dos Partition" under dos 6.22's fdisk) active.
This method will prevent manipulation of windows98 files by dos programs like defrag, since ms-dos 6.22 "can't see" the FAT32 partitions.

The other drive has Windows 95 currently. Planning to install Windows2000 in another partition.

You need a thrid party partitioners like partition magic for optimum management of the partitions.
And you need to play around with the partitons by playing "Hide-And-Seek" to make things install smoothly in the beginning. Otherwise, especially Windows 95 will be whining not to install it! 😉

UPDATE: Also, look for the HDD specs on the drive label itself and enter this info into the BIOS manually.

Reply 2 of 3, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Malik.. it is very interesting what you are with hiding the partitions. You could really take it a step further by using GRUB, the boot loader for most newer Linux distributions to activate and hide your partitions on demand with a simple boot screen.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 3 of 3, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

partitionsc1.jpg

Here is the partition screen using PQ Partition Magic 7.0 in WindowsME.
The only bootable partition in Disk2 is Windows 95.
Whereas in Disk1, the volumes MS-DOS_6-22 and Windows_ME are BOTH bootable. Have to use hide and seek here during installation, otherwise, things can go real bad.

Once all installations are complete, you can unhide ALL partitions. No problems here.

So under bios, when selecting which to boot, I select "D" drive to boot into Windows95. As for MS-DOS/WinME combination, first I set the BIOS to boot "C" drive. Then depending on my usage, I either choose the MS-DOS partition or WinME using the respective fdisk to change the "Set Active" option to either of these volumes.

I believe this is one of the advantages to have a later bios.

Another comment : The MS-DOS partition, which is shown as "K" drive will be automatically reassigned to C: drive when setting the partition to active.

Attachments

• Filename
    Partitionsc1.jpg
    File size
    154.17 KiB
    Downloads
    200 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception