VOGONS

Stonekeep and VDMSound

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hi all,

I have a problem getting Stonekeep working under W2K with VDMSound. The game needs audio enabled to run (and using VDM I can configure it correctly - all tests are played OK), but the game itself won't run. The error 'Out of memory allocating: cache memory (xxx bytes) ' (where xxx is 583Mb+ in my case). The included 'readme'-file says something about included drivers not supporting IRQ 10 (vdm set to 220/5/1) and the interplay website mentions a W95 specific PIF-file. This file cannot be run using VDMsound (not from the context-menu anyway, haven't really tried to get it running with VDM otherwise). Any ideas?

(interplay link: http://www.interplay.com/support/product.asp?GameID=224)

Regards,

Jaysan

Reply 1 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The PIF just allows you to edit memory allocation more than the VLP file... um... I dunno, I'm a little tired but I felt that I should give you a response just to know that we're here 😜 (RIGHT? GUYS?!?! VLAAAAD?)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

The included 'readme'-file says something about included drivers not supporting IRQ 10 (vdm set to 220/5/1)

Consider the IRQ10 (and above) rule to be a universal truth for DOS games. This should be irrelevant when running with emulated audio under NT/2000/XP (Unless, possibly, the actual game itself is configured for IRQ 10 or higher. If so, change it to 7).

Unregistered wrote:

and the interplay website mentions a W95 specific PIF-file.

That's the file on your game CD configured specifically for Win9x. Don't try to run it. Instead, look at it's properties and copy over the configuration data (memory settings etc...). If you can apply these to your game shortcut (some, like the Protect memory setting won't exist on the Win2K side, IIRC).

This file cannot be run using VDMsound (not from the context-menu anyway, haven't really tried to get it running with VDM otherwise). Any ideas?

This sounds like you don't have the GUI installed. Make sure you downloaded/installed v2.04 of VDMSound, installed (copied over) the update files, then installed v1.0.0.7 of the GUI Launcher.

Right-click on the game's executable, choose the "Run with VDMS" with the little musical note. (If the hint message pops up, clear the checkbox so it doesn't appear next time.) Immediately quit the game (or kill it if you can't quit). Now go take a look at the new .VLP file created for your game.

Take a good look at all the options you have(normal and advanced). There's a lot of variables for you to try here. Check the documentation for these, and give them a try.

Reply 3 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Consider the IRQ10 (and above) rule to be a universal truth for DOS games. This should be irrelevant when running with emulated audio under NT/2000/XP (Unless, possibly, the actual game itself is configured for IRQ 10 or higher. If so, change it to 7).

The game itself is configured for IRQ 5 or 7 (tried both - ran setup with VDMSound and it autodetected these setting without problems)

That's the file on your game CD configured specifically for Win9x. Don't try to run it. Instead, look at it's properties and copy over the configuration data (memory settings etc...). If you can apply these to your game shortcut (some, like the Protect memory setting won't exist on the Win2K side, IIRC).

Haven't tried transferring the properties to the VDM Shortcut, but it's actually a good idea. Will try it it most definitely.

This sounds like you don't have the GUI installed. Make sure you downloaded/installed v2.04 of VDMSound, installed (copied over) the update files, then installed v1.0.0.7 of the GUI Launcher.

The latest versions of VDM and the GUI are installed. When right-clicking the .pif file, it won't display any VDM-related items in the context-menu (nor any other for that matter...). It's either a setting ore something else somewhere in W2K or it's VDM-related. I've had no real problems getting DOTT & Discworld running with VDM. This is the first real problem I encountered.

Jaysan

Reply 4 of 9, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Try to run the .pif like that, no VDMSound, no sound.
2) In the .pif look at the "program" section and see what .exe/.com it points to
3) Make a new .bat file (say game.bat) that contains the following lines:

dosdrv.exe
game.exe %1 %2 %3

...where game.exe is the .exe/.com the .pif points to
4) Back to the .pif's properties, replace the .exe name with the game.bat you just created.
5) Try to run again the .pif (without "Run with VDMS")
6) Configure sound for the game now using "Run with VDMS"
7) Try to run again the .pif (without "Run with VDMS")

Which of the steps above (if any) failed, and how?!

V.

Reply 5 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata

This one bugged me for ages - but I refused to give up.

Here is the solution.

First up make sure you have the latest versions of both VDMS and Stonekeep (patch 1.2).

Second, run setup by right clicking on the setup.exe and pick run with VDMS.

Then edit your SK.bat file and add the line "dosdrv" before the game executable.

Finally edit the Stonekeep PIF shortcut and add the argument OTHER_OS to the command line (remove the WIN95 argument).

Note: you may also have to set the config to VGA for movies (not SVGA).

The sound isn't perfect, but it works.

Good luck.

Mark

Reply 6 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, score? I'm thinking that OTHER_OS bit is probably what got it to work. That's just what I'm thinking, however, since I don't actually own the game.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 9, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

<advertisement>
Stonekeep works in DOSBOX (both unpatched and patched - just in the case of the patched version it is necessary to run it with that parameter for Windows 95 - otherwise it complains about not having enough Files). Search DOSBOX forum for details.

Mirek
</advertisement>

Reply 9 of 9, by zedd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stonekeep isnt work with Dosbox! Okey, it run but the speed and a sound is horrible! CPU cycles and frame skipping dosent help.
I have a 900mhz celeron with 512megs of ram and with a gef4ti4200 and sblive. I tried to do some "magical stuff" with my system and with dosbox but its no use..
I cant believe i need an another machine to play my old favourite game... bah