VOGONS

Anvil of Dawn

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I can't get Anvil of Dawn to run using VDMSound. In fact, I can't get it to run at all (I'm using Win XP Pro). I have tried the suggestion to try running it without sound, and to try enabling CD Rom support. Both have the same results - the DOS box starts, all the basic loading of the drivers happens, and then the screen goes black, the HD cranks away...and nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Reply 3 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anvil of Dawn is a protected-mode game developed by DreamForge (the guys who made Menzoberranzan too), so DosBox is out of the question here. I am quite amazed it won't work under NT. Gotta try mine if I find it. Mr. Unregistered, have you tried any compatibility modes?

Reply 4 of 8, by Finster

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Anvil of Dawn is a protected-mode game developed by DreamForge (the guys who made Menzoberranzan too), so DosBox is out of the question here.

The current cvs version of Dosbox should be able to handle it. I tested it quite some time ago though but it seemed to work flawlessly.

Reply 6 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Finster The current cvs version of Dosbox should be able to handle it. I tested it quite some time ago though but it seemed to work flawlessly.

Just remember that if it doesn't work properly. there's precious little to be done about it as it's a CVS release.

Will try to find my CD to test this.

Reply 7 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found CD. Like "Dark Forces" setup program. It does "something odd" at startup. After clicking the shortcut, I had to wait from 10-45 seconds before the program actually appeared to be doing anything. MIDI seems sluggish. OPL2 is also sluggish but slightly less so.

Enabling any digital audio seemed to cause all kinds of crashes. Primarily clicking on your character's face to access your inventory, etc... 1.1 patch did NOT fix this.

Error log from VDMSound as follows:
@E - 01:54:06.313 - SBController
Attempted to write to an unknown mixer register (register = 0x83,
value = 0x0b)
@W - 01:54:11.954 - SBController
HandleTransfer: DMA updates too infrequent (unable to keep up with
desired transfer rate), requesting boost

NOTE: I also tried the ThunderBoard soundcard option. The sound worked, still crashed.

Only works with MIDI, otherwise it will crash every time you access your character's "face".

Seems to run ok in the latest CVS of DosBox.

Reply 8 of 8, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
Error log from VDMSound as follows: @E - 01:54:06.313 - SBController Attempted to write to an unknown mixer register (register […]
Show full quote

Error log from VDMSound as follows:
@E - 01:54:06.313 - SBController
Attempted to write to an unknown mixer register (register = 0x83,
value = 0x0b)

Interesting! Can this be true? Vlad, take a look!