VOGONS

First post, by papa_lazarou_x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All

I'm hoping you guys can help me play one of the best games of all time.. Dungeon Keeper

I'm running Fedora 10 and I've installed dosbox from the Fedora repository which is version 0.72

I've managed to do the following steps so far without any problems:
I've mounted C to one of my local folder and mounted the D drive as my cdrom drive.
I've run the DOS installer which worked without any issues.. I could see the Dungeon Keeper Installer Menu and the sound test works within it and I've installed the game to the C drive to the folder KEEPERIN.
If I cd to KEEPERIN and run the KEEPER.EXE the game loads and plays the opening video fine and with sound the dosbox window then changes to a slightly smaller resolution and then the red disc is then shown which I guess shows the game is loading BUT the game then returns me to the C: prompt with an error message "Unable to change Screen Resolution".

Has anyone got any ideas why this may be occurring or have any suggestions that I could try in my dosbox.conf?

Thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Tried changing the output method?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 17, by papa_lazarou_x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi MiniMax
I thought I'd changed them all but I've just tested to double check again.
All 4 output methods still produce the same error message. Unable to change screen resolution. The ones I've tried are: surface,overlay,opengl and openglnb
I've now attached my current dosbox config file
Cheers

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    6.98 KiB
    Downloads
    496 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 17, by papa_lazarou_x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately during the install it doesn't provide me with any options like that just to setup the sound card which works fine during the intro film. There may be an option to change that in the setup but it isn't getting as far as that screen so I can't choose any options regarding resolution or any other settings. Some other things that may be of use are my graphics card is a Nvidia 9600GT and I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW.

Reply 5 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Can you change the display setup in Linux? Try 8, 16 or 32-bit colours.

Reply 6 of 17, by papa_lazarou_x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just tried 24bit, 16 bit and 256 colours and I received the same error message during all 3 tests. Are there any changes to the dosbox config file I could try that may help?
Cheers

Reply 7 of 17, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It works for me with an older version of Linux, but runs veeery slowly. (I did have a little trouble with installing it, and needed to change the core from auto to normal, and the cycles from auto to a specific number to keep it from stopping during the install, but I don't know if both were necessary. And I seemed to have some troubles running the game when the cycles are set to auto as opposed to a specific number. Though not the problem that you're facing.)

Do you have problems when running the game under dosbox in Windowed mode? (Sorry to ask because I did see from the dosbox.conf that it starts windowed, but I don't know if you keep it that way to run the game.)
Some old games used screen resolutions that are no longer supported under newer versions of Linux. It's possible this might be one of those games. And I don't really know which resolutions Fedora 10 supports. Or what Dungeon Keeper uses.

Other than changing the cycles from auto and a few slight tweaks to some sound settings, the only difference I noticed between your config and mine is that I had the fulldouble set to true, and I don't see how setting the fullscreen to use double buffering would make a difference. You might want to try it, just in case.

Reply 8 of 17, by papa_lazarou_x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All!

I have FINALLY managed to get Dungeon Keeper working in Fedora 10.
What I did was download the dosbox 0.72 source code and compile it. I had to edit some files to get it to work though. The reason for this is because I am using GCC4.3 I believe. I had to patch the some files in the dosbox sourcecode to get it to compile. I have attached a copy of the gentoo patch file. I used this and edited the files manually as there were only a couple of small edits.. you should be able to see the files I patched from the attached file.

Another thing to note is that I have got the Deeper Dungeons Expansion working in dosbox as well! I had been googling for the answer to this but I was unable to find one so I will post it here so hopefully it will help others who wish to play the Deeper Dungeons Expansion for Dungeon Keeper. The trouble was although the Deeper Dungeon would install without any problems it always asked for the Deeper Dungeons Disk to be inserted. The trick is to mount the CDROM drive with the -label switch for example I have added the following line to mount the cd in the dosbox.conf

mount d /media/KDDISK1 -t cdrom -label KDDISK1

Where
d is the drive letter
/media/KDDISK1 is the location that I am mounting as the CD
-t cdrom is how the mounted folder should behave to the emulated operating system
-label KDDISK1 is the volume name of the drive (this needs to be in all caps)

I'd just like to say a cheers to everyone who has helped me try and get Dungeon Keeper running and to those hard working people who wrote dosbox so I can play my classic games again .
😁

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-0.72+gcc-4.3.txt
    File size
    1.65 KiB
    Downloads
    394 downloads
    File license

Reply 9 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
papa_lazarou_x wrote:

I have FINALLY managed to get Dungeon Keeper working in Fedora 10.

Good for you. Now try it again with the official 0.72.

Reply 10 of 17, by wtx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.
I know that it is old topic, but I "googled" all internet and I have no ansewers for my questions.
I have the same problem like papa_lazarou_x but with the deeper dungeons. The difference is i use windows 7 32bit and dosbox 0.74. could you help me?

Reply 12 of 17, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Under DosBox 0.74 Windows x64 I have the same problem using DK Gold...when starting the game, I get Unable to change screen resolution.

Installing the game is a feat in itself (look at screenshot...no text!), after managing to install it, I tried changing output, machine type, resolution, core type...nothing works. Intro works fine though 😜 I think it dies when it tries to change from 320 to 640.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• setup_000.png
    Filename
    setup_000.png
    File size
    87.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • keeper_000.png
    Filename
    keeper_000.png
    File size
    25.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 4dos_000.png
    Filename
    4dos_000.png
    File size
    1.53 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13 of 17, by funnydrummer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodbat wrote:

Under DosBox 0.74 Windows x64 I have the same problem using DK Gold...when starting the game, I get Unable to change screen resolution.

Installing the game is a feat in itself (look at screenshot...no text!), after managing to install it, I tried changing output, machine type, resolution, core type...nothing works. Intro works fine though 😜 I think it dies when it tries to change from 320 to 640.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have exactly the same problem running DosBox 0.74 under Ubuntu 10.10. Also couldn't see a thing when installing & crashes after showing the red 'read disk' image... I really don't know what to do. 😖

Reply 14 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

See the lower part of this thread: Building/Compiling DOSBOX Question

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 17, by funnydrummer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually it was something really stupid... I just downloaded another ISO of the game and it simply worked. Sorry for bothering.

Here's a link to the working ISO:
LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR

(I think I'm allowed to post since it's abandonware.)

ENJOY! 😉

Reply 17 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

First of all abandonware is bullshit and second, prime example for not allowing abandonware here (besides the obvious legal issues).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper