VOGONS

First post, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I went out garage sale-ing this past week (this is where you get out all your junk you dont want and sell it in your front yard) and found the original Myst for $1. I actually bought this at one time but returned it (when you could actually return video games) Well ive always wanted to go back and give it another shot, as I never finished the game when I had it the first time(I was young and impatient 😀 )

Well now that I had my copy I had to decide when to try and run it. First I tried wine with not much success, it kept complaining about not finding the CD. Plan B: I had already setup win 3.1 in 0.72 a while back and since the game had both 16 bit and 32 bit versions I gave that a try next.
I downloaded the new version 0.73 and fired up win 3.1 and installed the game and presto it was working.
Ive since then also complied a linux version and it works also with a iso image I made of the disc.

So i just thought I would share and thanks to the dev's for bringing back dos and 16 bit windows.

Reply 1 of 9, by ZealPath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was actually just contemplating how I was going to play Myst since, much like you, I never finished it back in the day. I forgot it wasn't a DOS game so figured DOSBox probably wouldn't be the answer this time, but installing 3.1 on DOSBox sounds like it could be fun, haven't used 3.1 in YEARS after all.

Thanks for the idea!

Reply 2 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

see Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide it's not quite up to date with the current 0.73 release but almost. The patches by Vasyl mentioned in theere are implemented in 0.73, to use the S3 drivers you don't have to tinker with the conf file 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 9, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I think i followed your guide Dominus when I set it up for 0.72

Ive since finished the game and everything worked great.
Another option appears to be an updated version for XP, might be worth it too as it has the original 24 bpp graphics.

I wonder if I should try Riven

Reply 7 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Pickle wrote:
IIGS_User wrote:
Pickle wrote:

I wonder if I should try Riven

Oui.

Sorry dont know what that acronym stands for.

You must be American.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions