VOGONS

First post, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where can i find a "new" replacement CMOS battery for a 486 motherboard? It's a blue barrel type battery soldered to the board!

Does anyone know where i can find one? i've tried searching the net but keep getting results for laptop and coin type batteries!!

Reply 2 of 4, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Does your mobo have an external battery "header"? It'll be 2 pins, probably close to that barrel shaped battery.

I will have a look 😀 if there are 2 pins then would it be safe to de-solder the old battery before it decides to spill it's guts everywhere? or does it need to stay in place? (i hope not!)

Also... what kind of "external" battery would i need?? i see plenty for laptops!

Reply 3 of 4, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I searched on ebay, but can't find any ATM. Actually I think it's a 4 pin header, and not 2. (I think you stick a jumper on the middle 2 pins to tell the mobo you are using the default internal battery, that's why I got confused.) Any 3V battery should be OK, even though your internal battery is probably 3.6V. I don't think it's mandatory to remove the old battery, but that's only if the external battery pins header exists. If those pins aren't on the mobo, then you'll have no choice but to remove it...

Reply 4 of 4, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is what I did to one of my motherboards :

486bios.jpg

Removed the barrel battery by desoldering it. Took a coin-cell battery holder from another motherboard.

bathldr.jpg

Cut out a unused pc speaker wire-connector and soldered this to the battery holder.

soldered.jpg

Further info can be found here.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers