VOGONS

Zork Nemesis

Topic actions

First post, by Ezekiel000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could someone with experience with running Zork Nemesis dos version help me, I've only ever used the windows version but it doesn't work with wine.

Ok my problem is it seems to be running fine except that it's not full screen it has a large black boarder even with dosbox in a window, is this normal?

Reply 3 of 5, by CatWoman55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the game running with DOSBox, but would like to copy all CDs to my hard drive to make it run smoother. As the game comes on three CDs, I am not sure how to mount them... anybody in for a hint?

Thanks!

Reply 4 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use a virtual drive to mount iso files? When you need to swap discs, just switch to your virtual drive software and load another iso?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 5, by Stick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Create image files of the 3 CD's with Imgburn (or any software that can create ISO or BIN/CUE files). When a game has more than one CD, it's usually best to create image files. You will then need to use the "imgmount" command instead of "mount".

Here's exactly how I installed and run Zork Nemesis, if it helps at all:

Some of this will be more information than you need, but maybe the additional details will help someone else some day.

I almost never play a DOS game using the CD (or CD's), but sometimes I install the game using the CD.

I usually make BIN/CUE files, because those images will include CD Audio, if any were on the CD.
Zork Nemesis does not contain CD Audio, so ISO files should be fine.

The image files I created are called:
zn1.cue
zn1.bin
zn2.cue
zn2.bin
zn3.cue
zn3.bin

In Windows, I created a folder called "dosgames" on my C drive.
In the "dosgames" folder, I created a folder called "zncd".
I placed these 6 files in that folder (c:\dosgames\zncd).

In DOSBox, I installed the game from the real CD (Disc 1) using these commands:

mount c c:\dosgames
mount d e:\ -t cdrom
d:
cd dos
install

(My actual CD drive is drive E. If yours is different, change "e:\" to the drive letter of your actual CD drive)

I installed the game to "c:\znemesis" (Of course, when you exit DOSBox, you'll see that this folder is actually "c:\dosgames\znemesis" in Windows)

Then I put the CD's in a safe place.

I launch the game with these commands:

imgmount d "c:\dosgames\zncd\zn1.cue" "c:\dosgames\zncd\zn2.cue" "c:\dosgames\zncd\zn3.cue" -t iso
c:
cd znemesis
zorkdos

Then I can cycle through each disc using Ctrl-F4. If I type Ctrl-F4 three times, it would cycle back to disc 1.

Of course, these commands can be put in the [autoexec] portion of the configuration file (dosbox-0.74.conf). The only other changes I made to the config file are fullscreen=true and cycles=max.

I like to copy the config file to my game folder (in this case, "c:\dosgames\znemesis"). Then I copy the shortcut to DOSBox to my desktop, rename the icon to Zork Nemesis, and right-click on the shortcut and select "Properties". Then I change the "Target" box to look like this:
"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.74\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\dosgames\znemesis\dosbox-0.74.conf"

By the way, when a game comes on several CD's, try to make the folder and file names short, because the IMGMOUNT command can only handle so many characters. I'm not sure exactly how many. I had a problem with Wing Commander IV (6 CD's), until I figured this out.

If I made ISO files, I would only have 3 files:
zn1.iso
zn2.iso
zn3.iso

and I would launch the game like this:

imgmount d "c:\dosgames\zncd\zn1.iso" "c:\dosgames\zncd\zn2.iso" "c:\dosgames\zncd\zn3.iso" -t iso
c:
cd znemesis
zorkdos