VOGONS

First post, by Zalth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, so lately I've been playing Conquered Kingdoms(QQP, 1992) with .73 and it runs SO CLOSE to perfection that the annoying mouse disapearing problem is maddening. The pointer will just decide to disappear in the main map view after you click on a unit and you have to scroll the map(ie: refresh the graphics) to get it back. It happens hundreds of times in a game, and it doesn't even seem like a Dosbox issue because it happens when I run the game in XP(without sound of course).

QQP's Lost Admiral has a similar problem where the mouse will either disappear or spam a trail of mouse pointers all over the screen following the cursor.

I'm guessing that these problems relate to the way QQP coded for ancient serial mice? Are there any .cfg options for changing the way Dosbox draws/deals with mouse input that I could try? More accurate serial mouse emulation or something? I've tried all the listed screen output options(ddraw, overlay etc). I'm currently using an XP rig with a USB Razor mouse, but I'm guessing the only solution will be to run it with an actual serial mouse on my win98 machine...

Reply 1 of 6, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Whenever starting up Conquered Kingdoms, the following commands can be used: (ie. CC A if you want Adlib sound) A - use […]
Show full quote

Whenever starting up Conquered Kingdoms, the following commands can be used:
(ie. CC A if you want Adlib sound)
A - use Adlib sound.
B - use Soundblaster sound.
N - disable all sound.
E - no EGA page flipping (for EGA cards with less than 256K memory).

Be sure your mouse driver is loaded before starting the game.

"e" makes mouse work in both games

Reply 2 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The QQP games that use EGA work more smoothly with page flipping, however. Loading an MS mouse driver in DOSBox is a way to avoid the cursor problem while still using page flipping.

The code in DOSBox's mouse driver that causes the cursor to alternately appear and disappear is this:

// Check video page. Seems to be ignored for text mode.
// hence the text mode handled above this
if (real_readb(BIOSMEM_SEG,BIOSMEM_CURRENT_PAGE)!=mouse.page) return;

I have suggested to the devs that it be removed, because it is ostensibly only for "optimization", and it's not a good assumption that pages will be flipped with BIOS calls that also change the page variable. The QQP games are cases where BIOS is not used to flip pages. Actually, if you load CTMOUSE instead of an MS mouse driver, you will get the same cursor issue, so I suspect the current code was based on its behavior.

Reply 3 of 6, by Zalth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great, thanks the E option is a good workaround but the game is pretty rough without page flipping.

I've tried loading MS mouse.exe in dosbox before running CC but it tells me the "driver is already loaded", and the disappearing pointer persists. I put mouse.exe and mouse.lan from Microsoft DOS mouse driver 11.00 into my CC folder and ran it before launching... Am I doing it right Ripsaw, or do I have to disable the Dosbox driver somehow?

Reply 5 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Later versions of the MS mouse driver check to see if a driver is already active, and they detect DOSBox's internal driver. You can disable the internal driver with a utility program found here. The MS mouse driver 8.20 and below should work in DOSBox; but I get strange mouse behavior with 9.0, so later versions might have similar problems.