VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just wondering if anyone managed to find a way or patch or hex edit the install.exe fileto bypass the AWE32's installation routine of detecting the ICM (Intel Configuration Manager) of the former non-PnP cards or the CTCM of the newer PnP cards?

It's quite annoying if I just want to reinstall the appplications, especially for Windows 3.1x, and when I'm using the installation in different pcs. The former (non-PnP) cards' installation program won't proceed with the installation if the ICM is not detected (not loaded, whereas the CTCM is already loaded).

It's troublesome to reload the ICM while CTCM is loaded. And the later installation programs will not proceed when CTCM is not detecetd, and the same problem applies here too.

So, has anyone found out the way yet, other than loading the respective managers?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 5, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'am not sure I understand what you mean. I can't remember having used anything called 'Intel Configuration Manager' when installing Creative Cards. Maybe it is a bit confusing when choosing the software accordingly for the 3 hardware configuration types of the ISA cards from creative.
Though I know only one alternative for ctcm if you boot up with PnP-OS = Yes in BIOS that are the isapnp-tools (for DOS).
But be aware that they just initialize the ressources and do no initialization of the chips itself as ctcm does in addition. So you might experience some side effects like muted Line-Ins f.e..
Oh and in case you wonder, you have to initialize all 0xX20 ressources for the EMU8K on an awe32.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 5, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the AWE32s that I have, a CT3980, (which comes in it's complete box, and installation cd and floppy disks, includes the Intel Configuration Manager (ICM) which comes on 2x 3.5" disks. I believe this was released (though for a short period), prior to the Creative Configuration Manager (CTCM). I'll upload the disks if anyone wants to see it. I prefer CTCM to ICM, though.

This box comes with a CD for dos/win3.x/win95, plus installation floppy disks for Windows 95 alone, plus the ICM disks. All were still sealed in their polythene bags when I received them.

Whenever I insert the cd to install dos/win3.x software, the install program looks for the presence of ICM. The CTCM is, on the other hand, ignored when initialized, and still asks for ICM.

ICM is not as flexible in my system when compared to CTCM - I can't change certain addresses.

Reply 3 of 5, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see, so the ICM is somehow obsolete. On the other hand, aren't there newer Win 3.x drivers available that install without the ICM check?

As for the configuration, you can do the following:
Run ICM or CTCM that gives the AWE any configuration depending on EEPROM settings or overrides. This will also initialize the chips.
Then flush the ISA-PnP configuration again with isapnp-tools.
Reinitializie the ressources with isapnp-tools.
(Don't forget to change the BLASTER variable)

This way you can initialize the chips and have any freedom in ressource setting.
On the other hand the usual ressource override strategy for ctcm works well. If you can't force it with ctcm, it won't work with isapnp-tools either unless you flush other cards ressources too.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm pretty sure back then I didn't have to struggle with ICM in Windows 3.11 but then I had a AWE64. I'm sure the drivers for the AWE64 work for the AWE32 as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 5, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@elianda : Thanks for the very useful tips!

@Dominus : I've installed the other way round before ( AWE32 software for AWE64). I'll try this too. Thanks.