VOGONS

First post, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up these two cds recently on a fleamarket.

mrfiwj.jpg

Naturally they peaked my interest as I never come across actual OLD retail config/benchmark program collections in the wild (can't be common on the major online sale sites either).

CD1 contains not only the usual, but also special diagnose programs from and for Compaq, HP, Olivetti, Dell, etc. All the original files neatly with the description file. It also contains benchmark programs; drivers, among which drivers for ALL the ESS chipsets (it must be all of them, that is a long list); HUGE list with harddisk info files (jumper placement and such); videocard drivers; and, most interestingly, drivers and BIOS files for older motherboards.

CD2 is older than CD1 and is from the pure MS-DOS age. Config programs, benchmark programs, drivers, harddisk utilities, memory programs (simply a huge amount), etc.

I think there is something here for everyone.
Personally I like having all this stuff on nicely ordered factory pressed discs now as it saves a lot of time to look first on there, before I have to go hunting on Russian BBS mirrors.

Actually now that I write this down I remember this one shareware cd series (you all know those if you are old enough), called Gold Medal, that actually put Scene stuff on their releases. Cracks and patches made by Razor 1911, Fairlight, universal cracking programs, etc. They got away with it for 2 releases (I think there were five total), but the juicy stuff stopped after the first two. I'll see about uploading that.

CD1 (about 370mb compressed)
http://hotfile.com/dl/50748218/f40029d/Hardwa … k_CDRom.7z.html

CD2 (about 85mb compressed)
http://hotfile.com/dl/50749611/44965fa/COMPUFIX.7z.html

Attachments

• Filename
    cd1.7z
    File size
    85.67 KiB
    Downloads
    236 downloads
    File comment
    cd1 index
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    cd2.7z
    File size
    29.99 KiB
    Downloads
    276 downloads
    File comment
    cd2 index
    File license

This is not a QEMM error.

Reply 3 of 20, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

cool, then I will do that 😀 And oh yeah, you are more than welcome to use the megaupload links as mirrors, hell from my side.. you are endorsed 😀

Reply 7 of 20, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A nice archive of shareware CDs. I'm currently copying the "Windows 3-Pack" with HTTrack - if I rebuild the ISOs i'll upload them somewhere.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 8 of 20, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:

A nice archive of shareware CDs. I'm currently copying the "Windows 3-Pack" with HTTrack - if I rebuild the ISOs i'll upload them somewhere.

You should upload them to mega upload. They are probably one of the best uploading places.

Reply 9 of 20, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GL1zdA wrote:

Very cool site.

I'm tempted now to dig up my cheap shareware cds and iso them.

Reply 10 of 20, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That Gold Medal Software series I mentioned is available at the very cool site GL1zdA posted.

http://cd.textfiles.com/goldmedal/

As an image file is preferrable I uploaded the GMS 2 I have.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H58HYFRW

I thought about only uploading the games part, but this disc's menu system has this nice retro feel to it. I'm sure all of you will enjoy scrolling through those files.

Unlike the above two discs, this one is really software oriented and contains the normal shareware cd things. Besides this it also contains scene released game cracks and patches. Something you just don't see on retails discs.

Attachments

• Filename
    CATALOG.7z
    File size
    230.52 KiB
    Downloads
    269 downloads
    File comment
    Full disc contents
    File license

Reply 12 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GL1zdA wrote:

I'm currently copying the "Windows 3-Pack" with HTTrack - if I rebuild the ISOs i'll upload them somewhere.

I wonder if Jason's little server even allows that. I remember running into 403s with certain file extensions there so I don't think everything can be copied properly.

There is files.chatnfiles.com also, not as much of a selection, but has FTP access iirc 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 20, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WINDOW 3-PAK - Mostly Windows 3.x content.

Check contents before download:

Download links (use JDownloader, if you don't do it already):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GNI6MA0T
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6IYB4ZLV
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DXMIB3VA
leileilol wrote:

There is files.chatnfiles.com also, not as much of a selection, but has FTP access iirc 😀

Yes, I'll try to rebuild the windows95.com and winfiles.com CDs later - absolutely love their GUI 😉.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 14 of 20, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:

I'm currently copying the "Windows 3-Pack" with HTTrack - if I rebuild the ISOs i'll upload them somewhere.

I wonder if Jason's little server even allows that. I remember running into 403s with certain file extensions there so I don't think everything can be copied properly.

There is files.chatnfiles.com also, not as much of a selection, but has FTP access iirc :)

Hmm, that really limits the use of that site.

You know the owner I presume?

Why doesn't he zip all those cds individually and make a big torrent?

Reply 15 of 20, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GL1zdA wrote:

(use JDownloader, if you don't do it already)

How ironic, the download for that program leads to a download site complete with countdown timer and captcha.

Reply 17 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
samudra wrote:
Hmm, that really limits the use of that site. […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:

Because he archives data and torrenting isn't archiving.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 20, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:
samudra wrote:
Hmm, that really limits the use of that site. […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote:

Because he archives data and torrenting isn't archiving.

samudra wrote:

Don't start with that bla.

If he would be only archiving it, it would be unavailable.

I actually agree with samudra, cause what you DosFreak say about bittorrent is not archiving , then I call bla too. Or if you want it in asterixes and what not . Then I think this thread would be locked very fast. But if you want proof of torrents can be used as an archiving method. Then ask around. But enough bollocks for now. samudra, I will have the files up there until kingdom come or megaupload crumbles.