VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Folks,

I've been trying to remember a game that I bought some time ago (prolly around 1996 or so) that was on a CD. I remember that the CD was a "hybrid", and contained the Macintosh as well as the DOS versions of the game on the same CD.

I can't for the life of me remember what the game was... I wanted to give it a whirl using the Basilisk II Mac emulator.

Unfortunately, that's ALL that I remember about the game (that it shipped on a hybrid Mac/DOS CD)... can't remember the developer or publisher, genre, or anything 🤣!

Does anyone remember of any games that were distributed like this from about that era (maybe 1995-1998 or so)?

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 1 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Chex Quest was one, though it didn't have a binary but a modified ultimate doom wad for Macintosh Doom owners.

MANY "Made with Macromedia" games of the era will be like this, particularily Simon & Schuster software.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 10, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Chex Quest was one, though it didn't have a binary but a modified ultimate doom wad for Macintosh Doom owners.

MANY "Made with Macromedia" games of the era will be like this, particularily Simon & Schuster software.

Thanks for the info, but AFAIK I don't have any of the games from them. Heh, this is driving me nutz... I think I'm going to have to go through ALL of my TONS of game CDs <grin>.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 3 of 10, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know there were lots of hybrid Mac/WINDOWS games in the Mac OS 7 / Windows 3.1 days, but don't know of too many that were Mac / DOS.

The one I like is the 5.25" floppy disk that worked perfectly in both an MS-DOS machine as well as a Commodore 64. It was a game called Mental Blocks. And it wasn't a "flippy disk", where it was a single-sided DOS disk one way and a single-sided C64 disk the other. You inserted it label-side-up in either computer, and it worked.

Now, if they'd made it a triple-format, with PC/C64 combo on one side, and Apple on the other, they would have made a Geek trifecta. (The theory from my link above is that the DOS version needed more space than would fit on one shared side, though. -- Maybe they could have done Apple/C64 on one side, and DOS on the other?)

Reply 5 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Full Tilt Pinball (from Maxis) is the first one that comes to mind. I definitely had it going under Basilisk II, as well.

I've also got a boxed copy of Starfighter 3000 that apparently contains Mac and PC versions, but it's definitely PPC-only, so Basilisk II won't help you there.

EDIT: Wait, Full Tilt was Mac/Win95, but you're looking for Mac/DOS? Can't help you there.

Reply 6 of 10, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Freak wrote:

I know there were lots of hybrid Mac/WINDOWS games in the Mac OS 7 / Windows 3.1 days, but don't know of too many that were Mac / DOS.

I could be mistaken about it being DOS, but I never really had that many Windows 3.x games that were on a CD. Hmmm... maybe Myst? I'll have to dig up the CD 😀

Jorpho wrote:

I've also got a boxed copy of Starfighter 3000 that apparently contains Mac and PC versions, but it's definitely PPC-only, so Basilisk II won't help you there.

I've never had that game, so that wasn't it. Thanks for the info though 😀

ratfink wrote:

starcraft and maybe warcraft 2 had mac and pc versions on the same cd.

Did they really? Cool!! Gonna have to dig those CDs up as well 😀 😀

@All,
Actually, I did stumble upon one last night, but it wasn't the one I was thinking of. A freebie called "Chomper"... a promo for "Gummy Savers", made by the Life Savers candy company. Kind of a lame game, but it did indeed work under Basilisk (even though it wasn't the game I was thinking of) 😀

@leileilol,
Yep, Chomper was indeed a Macromedia game.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 7 of 10, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mystery solved! Been digging through a ton o' crapola <grin>.

The one that I remembered was indeed a W31 game, yet not really a game at all... PF Magic's "Dogz". Works like a champ under my "virtual" Mac 😀 I then realized that "Catz" also should work (same company)... yep, sure did.

I then found another that I didn't even remember, Small Blue Planet's "The Cities Below"... sort of an aerial photo and street atlas of the US.

Lastly, I dug up, my old Diablo CD... but of course that one wouldn't work, as like Starcraft (heh, dug that one up as well) it requires a PPC. Oh BTW, heh, that "Chomper" CD even had a Mac install on it for AO(Hel)L 🤣!

I checked my Warcraft 2 CD (as well as the "Beyond the Dark Portal" expansion pack CD), but they appear to be DOS-only.

Hehe, I wonder what else I have floating around here that is on Hybrid CDs as well? Things that never "appeared" to me in all of these years under Norton Commander or the 16-bit version of Windows Commander <grin>.

P.S. I couldn't locate my "Myst" CD (although I know it's gotta be around here close somewhere) so's I couldn't test that one out. I DID find though my "11th Hour" and "7th Guest" CDs... DOS-only for both of those.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 8 of 10, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:

P.S. I couldn't locate my "Myst" CD (although I know it's gotta be around here close somewhere) so's I couldn't test that one out

FINALLY found my old Myst CD, but unfotunately it's Windows-only. Also dug up my Myst III CDs, but of course those won't work on such an old emulated Mac <grin>.

Anyhow, getting sort of OT here:

I was having a look at the "Making of Myst" movie on my M1 CD, and realised that the composer was using a Proteus MIDI module and Master Tracks Pro for Mac to compose and record the music with. I've always LOVED the music from the original Myst (I even have the soundtrack CD), and had always thought it sounded quite "Proteusy" to me (e.g WaveBlastery-like -> How Wave Blaster 1 really sounds ).

Quite a few of the more stranger instruments and sounds in the M1 music (as well as some of the usual orchestral instruments, such as the piz. basses) I had previously recognized from my WB1, as well as the Proteus soundfonts that I've bought throughout the years.

Man, wish I could locate a copy of the old MTP 5 or 6 for Mac <grin>, I own the old Master Tracks Pro 4.9 for WinDoZe.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 9 of 10, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Believe it or not, some of the older Blizzard titles came out as a hybrid disc, both MAC and PC versions.

I will have to check which titles but I do believe that Warcraft was one of them and I also think Diablo 2 as well...

Since I have a Mac Clone (Powercent 150) box, I had got some upgrades for it, namely a G3 cpu upgrade and the Voodoo 5 PCI MAC Edition.

Didn't play too well at all, even with the GPU installed.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 10 of 10, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another that I forgot to mention, "Oddballz". It was made by the same company as "Catz" and "Dogz", so it stood to reason that it would as well 😀

Hehe, it's a rather "oddball" sort of software toy 🤣.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel