VOGONS

First post, by thedoctor45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This package includes a custom patched DOSBox build with Glide support as well as a native version of the OpenGLide 3Dfx API Wrapper for Intel Mac OS X 10.5 & 10.6.

I was able to implement them both into a DOSBox game wrapper which allows everyone to port hardware accelerated DOS games to OSX with little effort.
Be advised that this Wrapper was not designed for housing more than one game and does not support multiple config files! The concept is to transform a single DOS game into a standalone OSX application.

Release notes:
This build is based on DOSBox v0.73 with the Glide patch from gulikoza - the OpenGLide library was compiled from the latest cvs.
All required libraries are included inside the application bundle - no additional system components are necessary for running the wrapper.
The GL_EXT_packed_pixels error in OpenGLide has been fixed and the gamma correction level has been reduced a bit.

Porting Instructions:
• Open the application package by right clicking on it and selecting "Show Package Contents" from the menu, then navigate to the /Contents/Resource dir
• Place your folder containing the gamefiles into this directory
• Place the included glide2x.ovl driver into the gamefolder, overwriting any existing file
• Open dosbox.conf with a Text Editor, scroll down to the end of the file and change the autoexec section accordingly to start your executable.
The next step is OPTIONAL and only recommended if you want to visually customize your Port.
• Place a custom icns file into the Resource folder
• Go into /Contents and open the info.plist file - change the Bundle name, Bundle display name, the Icon file and the bundle identifier values accordingly (recommended are PlistEdit Pro or the Property List Editor from the OSX Delevoper Tools)

Special thanks go to Dominus, gulikoza and weirdnose for thier instructions, patches and support.

If anybody wants a standard DOSBox build with Glide Support that does not store its content inside of the package let me know.
But for the few Glide based DOS games that exist, this Wrapper should be the best solution imho. For the other games the regular OSX DosBox builds should be sufficient.

Link:

Same build as below uploaded by Dominus
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm5rym7ixppzee7/DOS … _Intel.dmg?dl=1

LINK IS DOWN
http://www.mediafire.com/?c5kb4zgh63gkb25

I hope you find this little piece of software useful 😉
-thedoctor45

Last edited by thedoctor45 on 2012-03-18, 13:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by thedoctor45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For proper custmization I have created a few hi-res OSX icon files of DOS Glide games for the Wrappers.

Successfully tested were:
Carmageddon
GTA + GTA London
Blood (has texture errors on nVidia Macs)
Shadow Warrior (has texture errors on nVidia Macs)
Screamer 2
Screamer Rally
Tomb Raider
Burnout Championship Drag Racing
Extreme Assault

Download Icons:

Attachments

• Filename
    dos_icons.zip
    File size
    3.1 MiB
    Downloads
    944 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by thedoctor45 on 2010-09-14, 15:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks for posting this 😉

The GL_EXT_packed_pixels error in OpenGLide has been fixed

did you fix this or how did you come by this? Is there a patch for this?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 17, by thedoctor45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't create a patch file but getting rid of the problem was pretty straight forward anyway.

GL_EXT_packed_pixels does not exist in the OSX opengl drivers, instead there is an extension called GL_APPLE_packed_pixels -> all I did was rename all occurences of this extension name in the sourcecode files (in glext.h & GLExtensions.cpp) and the problem dissappeared.

But to my knowledge this little bug didn't do any harm in the first place - still it's better to have it fixed then to get an error log every time you launch DOSBox 😉

Reply 6 of 17, by LazerTag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Doctor,

I would be interested in a normal DOSBox build with Glide support if your still offering one please.

Also have you updated the code to the latest DOSBox at this point ?

Thanks

LT

Reply 8 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You have to use the right voodo version of the tomb raider exe

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ooh yeah... Megaupload was always my least favourite of the bunch...
If the good doctor doesn't show up, I'll see where his build is on my hard drive and will upload it to dropbox or so.

Reply 12 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

thanks

Reply 14 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Nope, my builds are straight svn only

Reply 16 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Again, if the doctor doesn't show I'll take care of this. Give me a week to return home and ping me per pm 😉

Reply 17 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm5rym7ixppzee7/DOS … _Intel.dmg?dl=1
Enjoy

(maybe a mod can modify the 1st post)

Edit: I fixed the link as Dropbox wreaked havoc with its public folder - and since I am now a moderator I fixed the first post as well 😀