VOGONS

First post, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a weird problem. I've installed the Full Motion Video game "Angel Devoid: Face of the Enemy" on my computer with MS-DOS 6.22 and an AWE64 Gold and an Ensoniq Soundscape Elite for soundcards. When I try to run it it, the game freezes at the first frame of the intro.

I've identified the problem to be the line "DEVICE=C:\DRIVERS\CTCM\CTCM.EXE" in CONFIG.SYS.
The CTCM.EXE is a PnP Manager and needed to configure the AWE64 at each reboot of the computer.

If I delete that line from the CONFIG.SYS and reboot, the game will start and I can watch the intro with sound from the Soundscape Elite.

The game has native support for the AWE64 (as AWE32), so how can the game be incompatible with a driver needed for its own sound?

Most other games work with both the AWE64 and the Soundscape Elite simultaneously and there are no conflicting system resources that I know of. No matter what settings I run the game with (even with "no soundcard"), or what other lines I delete from the config files, the game won't start as long as the CTCM.EXE is in the CONFIG.SYS.

-----

Then there is a second problem... The game is an interactive Full Motion Video game. The cinematic intro plays smoothly without any problems (with no CTCM.EXE in the CONFIG.SYS). When the intro is over, the game cuts directly to the interactive part without any introduction screen in between and from here the FMV plays really choppily, as in slow motion. If I let my character die and I restart the interactive part, then the FMV is suddenly smooth until I get to the location where I died, but let my character choose a different path and survive so the game can continue. Then the game gets into slow motion again.

What could be the cause of this problem?
The intro plays fine and previously viewed interactive FMV sequences play fine, but previously unviewed interactive FMV sequences plays in slow motion.

Other hardware taxing FMV games, like Phantasmagoria and Police Quest: SWAT, play fine.

Reply 2 of 2, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great! That patch solved both problems.