VOGONS

Common searches

Woodruff

Topic actions

First post, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

is a Windows game, it has problems running exacting 256 color display which afaik is not that viable with modern video adaptors...

One solution I tried out is using Virtual PC to create a Win9x machine, the emulated card in there is S3 Trio 32/64 PCI and apparently can stand the WinG drivers installation and 640*480*8 bit colors.
I thought 800*600 was out of question, but now I see it isn't so.

Another way out can be via VMware workstation ("VMware SVGA II" virtual display adaptor). Funny you have to pre-set guest Win9x 800*600 res. there to be sure the options' icons do appear when the cursor approaches the top of the screen or window box, or else you can't save/load/quit etc. as it ought to be.
No need for special audio tricks here.
One thing that may matter is that Virtual PC has a useful "Adjust host to match guest" preference which VMware is lacking and that's just what lets you get rid of the nasty black border if the guest's (and the program's running in the guest OS) resolution is noticeably lower than the host's.
VMware can't help but let the res. gap show.

Reply 2 of 5, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yep, compatibility mode sort of works, but it's always been giving me warnings about low memory (300 to 2,600 KB missing)
and even if these may be disregarded since the game will start anyway, the 8 bit colors thing is fine, but the point is 640*480 res. setting just never gets through : I keep on having the nasty (to me) black border taking 1/3 of the display area and that's precisely the reason I mentioned the Adjust host to guest option that set it straight with virtual Win9x by (former Connectix) Virtual Pc.

Reply 3 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's supposed to do that. The view is widescreen. >.<
Regarding the memory missing issue, there was a similar problem I encountered with Director 6 that was fixed by making my min and max swapfile sizes identical.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 5, by rgriff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Making max and min values of swapfile equal didn't work for me, but I found if you change the 'Winram' value to 0 in the MDO.def file in the Woodruff folder, you lose the annoying memory message.