VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by crseeare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just installed Dosbox 0.74 onto a 32 bit windows 7 system running on a year old HP pavilion DV5 notebook.

When I launch Dosbox, there is no response to keyboard input - I could type away all day without a single keystroke coming up at the command prompt. Any other known problems with keyboards not being recognised at all? I've read in the readme and in a few posts about keyboards with one or two keys not functioning in the program, but none so far to do with the keyboard not working at all.

my eyes hurt.

Reply 1 of 9, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please clarify - do you mean the keyboard will stop working for any app, i.e., you can't alt-tab or ctrl+alt+del, or do you mean just within DOSBox? Your title indicates one while your post indicates the other..

Reply 2 of 9, by Iche_Bins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hoi

I have a similar problem. I have windows 7 installed on my PC 64 bit system. tI downloaded the latest version from dosbox.com and installed it on my pc. Unfortunatly My keayboard does not work in dosbox. It works alrigth everywhere else, but there is no reaction whatsoever in dosbox itself.

Any Ideas whats causing this and how I solve that problem?

Edit: It worked on my preious PC with windows xp, but the same keyboard 😒

Reply 3 of 9, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

recently I had a passing chance to use a Windows 7 64bit machine and tested dosbox on it
now sometimes and when fullscreen only (as I usually have it) the keyboard was indeed unresponsive, so I had to hit the windows key which obv. did respond and then click on the dosbox icon in taskbar to set the focus back as it were and go fullscreen again and retrieve the keyboard
HTH

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 6 of 9, by Iche_Bins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to type in the window where I always typed, back then when it worked under xp, the one with this nice blue box explaining the basics and a Z:\> standing in the last line.

Also changing the keyboard layout from german to english, but that didn't help 😒
I also re-downloaded the one exe for windows (Is there an special download for windos 7 64bit I don't know about?) and reinstalled Dosbox, no change so far.

Reply 7 of 9, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a few shots in the dark... did you make sure the configuration file you're editing is the one that's actually being used? Try inserting something into the [autoexec] section that has some kind of a visible effect. like

echo I'm actually being run

or something like that. And/or run some exe file directly from the [autoexec] section and see whether it gets executed.

Also, maybe

keyboardlayout=none

in the [dos] section could help?

Also, did you try removing any keyboard mapper file that might still be existing somewhere?

Also did you try both

usescancodes=true

and

usescancodes=false

in the [sdl] section?

One more thing, did you try any other SDL-based application to see if it has the same problems?

tearex

Reply 8 of 9, by Iche_Bins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Uh Actually I have not the slightest Idea what you are talking about, sorry I don't know much about dosbox. I only used it, never configured or programmed anything on it.

But I got it to work.
I just used the compatibility mode for windosXP SP3. Works like a charm now.

Thanks for the tips though 😀

to bad it does not help me to run an old game ("Der Planer") under a 64bit system. Needs to be run under a 32 bit system, and compatibility mode does not help. I kinda hoped dosbox would 😒

Reply 9 of 9, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you mean the very first "Der Planer" game from 1994, it was a MS-DOS game and DOSBox should definitely run it, even on a 64-Bit system.

Remeber: DOSBox is NOT the same as the Command prompt (In German, "Eingabeaufforderung") from Windows. You have to run the game from inside DOSBox. Just installing DOSBox and then starting the game's EXE file from Windows will NOT use DOSBox to run the game, and in this case all 16-Bit programs (including all DOS and Windows 3.x programs) will fail on 64-Bit systems.

You should really read the README file that came with DOSBox, it explains how to do all the important things, including running games in DOSBox and configuring DOSBox. If you read it carefully, you will have no problems understanding my last post.

If this is too hard for you (but it isn't really hard, especially when you've used a real MS-DOS computer in the past), you can check out one of the Front-Ends for DOSBox such as D-Fend Reloaded or DBGL.

tearex