VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bismuthdrummer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd played all the way through Dark Sun 2 once before long ago, without the music. Recently I broke down and bought the original CD off eBay (jewel case version), and I was stuck for the longest time on the problem of the music restarting during combat. This drove me, a longtime musician and Dark Sun cRPG lover, absolutely nuts. Having an actual DOS machine, I tried it on there and STILL had the problem. 😵 I finally figured out how to fix it.

Leave it to a German site to scrupulously maintain archaic gaming material. I found the patches to the game here:
http://www.patches-scrolls.de/

I've also attached the patches here for posterity. I assume the material to be legally distributable as it contains no original game content and the nature of such patches would have to be 'freeware' of a sense for the community to receive them. These patches are not mine, and I take no responsibility for the consequences of anyone using them.

Now I know that my version was already purported to be version 1.1 or whatever (as seen on the CD title), but I decided to apply the patches anyway. One of the specific features listed in the bugfixes on the web was the music fix!

Copy and paste or install the patch to your game directory, then run the patch.exe command from DOSBox. The patch wouldn't apply on its face for me because the first file it looked at was an invalid mismatch of some kind, which caused the program to terminate prematurely and fatally. So, I dreamed a little and invoked the following:

patch /ignore

Which, I take it, ignores any mismatches. I ended up patching 5 files in all, despite ignoring 3 other invalid files. I don't know if that means some of the bugs haven't been fixed or already were fixed, but I will find out and post here if I encounter problems.

As far as the music, patching the game resolved the issue. The music during combat now runs smoothly without restarting.

Cheers

Attachments

• Filename
    wakedk11.zip
    File size
    133.11 KiB
    Downloads
    742 downloads
    File comment
    Floppy disk version
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    wakecd11.zip
    File size
    276.43 KiB
    Downloads
    935 downloads
    File comment
    CD boxed set version
    File license
  • Filename
    wake11jc.zip
    File size
    150.12 KiB
    Downloads
    868 downloads
    File comment
    CD jewel version
    File license

================================
Thoughts without content are void; intuitions without conceptions, blind.
~Immanuel Kant

Reply 1 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it is actually a BAD idea to ignore the safety check and patch a file that does not match the expected one... most likely you have damaged the file and depending what it was you will get some or big troubles when the time to use it comes...
unless the files are some txt's or something that are not important

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 5, by bismuthdrummer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The /ignore switch actually skips over patching the file rather than forcing it... there could be some small measure of risk by only applying some of the patch, but it's that or bust (no fixes).

My CD-ROM is copyright 1997 but still explicitly DOS install, so I'm not sure which version I have.

~Immanuel Kant

Reply 3 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

did you get the CD version for the audio tracks or was it the only one you found? I happen to have both versions, the floppy one patches just fine... haven't really tested the cdrom one since I prefer music from my roland/yamaha synths instead of CDDA tracks...

edit: tried my boxed cdrom version, it patches all files OK, 1994 version

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 5, by bismuthdrummer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for testing, that is good to know.

It really was the only one I found. I do love what Cooksey and his crew did with the audio, but I think 'traditional' MIDI fits the game style much better. I would bet the application performance is better too, no?

~Immanuel Kant

Reply 5 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

performance wise I would say they both behave the same... on my DOS-only pentium200 machine they are both VERY fast 🤣
yep, midi is preferred by me too! it adds up somehow to the game 😀 old prg's need old music playback too 😊 😊 😊